Venture Surplus ad

Car/SUV battery, what to buy . . what to avoid?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Am I the only one who proactively replaces batteries at the 4 year mark?

I’d rather replace it when convenient for me.
    Because when they fail on their own, it’s at the worst possible time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You're probably alone.

I own jumper cables.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Am I the only one who proactively replaces batteries at the 4 year mark?
    That's not a bad idea, but I kinda like seeing how much I can get out of them. Back when my e21 was my daily, I drove it for about a year where if the battery sat for a few hours it wouldn't start the car. Not an issue as my driveway was sloped and there was a nice sloped spot at work, too :laughing:

…which don’t work when you’re alone like me
    I've got a few of these and they are awesome. Much more compact than the older style jump packs. If you're heading out in the middle of nowhere it's easy to take one with you.

1632927735545.png

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’ve got a nearly identical little booster. It want jump the F-550 from a completely dead battery, but it’ll do the job if it’s just too weak to hold voltage for the computers.

Definitely worth having in every vehicle being so small and easy to find room for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    We run Optima Red Tops in both the FJ and the Armada that pulls our travel trailer. I used to have constant problems with my truck dying(mostly due to my fault) because I leave my back window open that keeps the lights on or running my subwoofer a little too long.

My wife's truck struggled a little when running the camper, it just pulled too must and if it's hot or cold, it made even more of a difference.

Since we both bought the Red Tops, no problems.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    That's not a bad idea, but I kinda like seeing how much I can get out of them. Back when my e21 was my daily, I drove it for about a year where if the battery sat for a few hours it wouldn't start the car. Not an issue as my driveway was sloped and there was a nice sloped spot at work, too :laughing:

I've got a few of these and they are awesome. Much more compact than the older style jump packs. If you're heading out in the middle of nowhere it's easy to take one with you.

View attachment 279543

I’m a bit hesitant of jump packs, lots of fires have been reported and many have been recalled due to fire risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

View attachment 279543

I’ve got a nearly identical little booster. It want jump the F-550 from a completely dead battery, but it’ll do the job if it’s just too weak to hold voltage for the computers.

Definitely worth having in every vehicle being so small and easy to find room for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We have one simply to be able to recharge the phones from the USB port in the event of a power outage Plus it has a really bright LED light on the end of it.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I’m a bit hesitant of jump packs, lots of fires have been reported and many have been recalled due to fire risk.

Amazon product ASIN B000JFJLP6
    Get one of these. This is what we used with my roadside assistance business. Two of these per truck, plus cables for the random diesel. We'd get 20-40 jumps per box before they had to be recharged, depending on how dead the customer's battery was. We would get a year to year and a half per box before they had to be rebuilt, and that was running an average of ten jump starts per day per driver.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Amazon product ASIN B000JFJLP6
    Get one of these. This is what we used with my roadside assistance business. Two of these per truck, plus cables for the random diesel. We'd get 20-40 jumps per box before they had to be recharged, depending on how dead the customer's battery was. We would get a year to year and a half per box before they had to be rebuilt, and that was running an average of ten jump starts per day per driver.

Nice, I didn’t know they still made the old-school lead acid models

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX

I have a half dozen of them. None have ever had a problem. I’ve also lithium batteries in all of my motorcycles for over 5 years with no problems. They are also deep discharge so a total discharge doesn’t shorten their life. Some companies make them for cars now but they are crazy expensive.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Sasquatch has it covered. I've also sold batteries most of my adult life.

A few years ago the batteries failed in two of my cars the same week. They happened to take the exact same battery For the Mustang I wanted to keep it OE so I went to the Ford dealer.
    Turned out they had just restructured their Motorcraft battery program:

- They only sell the best quality - no more good-better-best
    - All are warranted 120 months - 10 years. First 3 years no-charge.
    - All are straight pro-rated replacement. If a new battery is $150, you can divided that by 120 to get the cost of replacement per month.

That's the most straight-forward warranty program I've ever seen. The price was about the same as the aftermarket Deka at wholesale price. Specs were a little better on the Motorcraft.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Sasquatch has it covered. I've also sold batteries most of my adult life.

A few years ago the batteries failed in two of my cars the same week. They happened to take the exact same battery For the Mustang I wanted to keep it OE so I went to the Ford dealer.
    Turned out they had just restructured their Motorcraft battery program:

- They only sell the best quality - no more good-better-best
    - All are warranted 120 months - 10 years. First 3 years no-charge.
    - All are straight pro-rated replacement. If a new battery is $150, you can divided that by 120 to get the cost of replacement per month.

That's the most straight-forward warranty program I've ever seen. The price was about the same as the aftermarket Deka at wholesale price. Specs were a little better on the Motorcraft.

Does the battery have to be in a Ford to be eligible for the warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    We have one simply to be able to recharge the phones from the USB port in the event of a power outage Plus it has a really bright LED light on the end of it.
    Got one of those too. I bought to keep it in my bike for trips but when not in use it pulls duty as a portable cell phone charger. It’s about the size of a cell phone so wife keeps in her purse when we travel.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    I use to stick Optimas in everything. Still have a red top in my Frontier going strong since 2016. Not sure if they are still as good as they use to be, but for years everyone swore by them.
    I had two of them; they died instantly, no notice (not even slow cranking). The place I bought them wanted to charge me more to test them than I'd get back from the bit of remaining warranty.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    As far as I know, the "slow cranking" of a dying battery has been history for years.
    New batteries just work, until they don't.

Top Bottom