Car/SUV battery, what to buy . . what to avoid?

TheDan

deplorable malconent scofflaw
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Nov 11, 2008
Austin - Rockdale
A new car spec'd for AGM can only use an AGM... Put a lead acid into a vehicle spec'd for AGM and watch it burn out the battery and maybe the alternator.
Yep! Although you can usually re-code the car for lead-acid.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
The Walmart MAXX everstart and the Orilly Superstart premium are high rated batteries according to consumer reports. Dont cheap out always buy the premium of the brand . the warranty is longer it it is always heavier the the cheaper counterpart

I’ve had the Maxx batteries last years my my old truck that only gets a 600-700 miles per year, probably less and started once every couple weeks if I happen to remember but often goes a month or more. Really surprised me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Apr 20, 2020
Magnolia
A lot of shops need to up their game then :laughing:
If my cheap Foxwell can do it, a pro-grade scanner definitely can.

I can't argue that, especially since stuff is getting cheaper (or was, no idea how The Coof effected mechanics tools prices this year)

I knew a bunch of old school shops that had pretty ancient scanners, and one mechanic that refused to get one. He specialized in old stuff, and didn't *need* it, but it meant that he only did certain repairs on modern cars. Was the best damn mechanic for real old school cars - carburated stuff - in the Portland area. Then the bastard had to up & die! (He'd appreciate that sort of dark humor)

Before jumping out of battery service and moving to Texas, I was testing out a super cheap Hobo-Freight scan tool that could do resets on certain makes & models. I think I paid $150 for it something, it wasn't their top-tier version of that (yes, I laughed at "top tier" and "hobo freight" being used together too) it was I think more of the mid-range in their scan tool selection. I couldn't re-program a car for lead-acid if it was spec'd AGM, but I could do battery registration at least for the ones we'd run into that required it.

dsgrey

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oct 25, 2015
Denton County
Never buy a cheap battery! Lead acid batteries life is dependent on the PURITY of the lead!

New lead is very pure, and a LOT more expensive than recycled lead. Recycled lead is what is used in short warranty batteries.
While I agree, I had an anomaly. Bought a cheap 6 month warranty recycled battery for my Craftsman riding lawnmower at a local service station when I was in a bind. The battery was 6 years old and still running when I sold it. Mower sat in the garage and I would start it or trickle charge maybe 2 times during the off season of Nov - Feb. I should have load tested it to see where the numbers fell but I never did.

white_rhino

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aug 9, 2021
Austin, TX
Diehard Platinum/Advanced Auto Parts AGM (Same thing). I run those in all of my vehicles and they have been great. Last one lasted 7 years!

TexMex247

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
May 11, 2009
Leander(NW Austin)
At my shop we sell AC Delco. Personally I despise a sealed battery because I like topping electrolyte and peak charging on occasion. However, we have had most of them make it past the 3 year mark and sadly regardless of brand that's all as long as they last.

I'd go with convenience. Local with a decent warranty.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud
Shroud

Forum statistics