• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    As I've mentioned before, I recently inherited my dad's Ruger .44 Mag carbine.

Looks like this.

44carb.jpg

I've decided it needs a suitably chambered revolver to ride along with it. It could (though not likely) become a companion for hog hunting. More than likely it'll be a range gun that I load light Mag or 44 Special loads for. But I'll still want to push some heavy duty magnum loads through it once in a while.

At any rate, this will be what I'm saving for next.

I'm thinking new or newer so the classic S&W 29s are out for this.

That leaves the new production S&W Model 29 or the 629. I'm leaning toward a Ruger though and can't decide on their many offerings.

I like single action guns so the Super Blackhawk in 5.5" is leading the pack but the Redhawk is not far behind. In either case I don't want to put a scope on it.

Unlike some of the other polls posted recently, this one is non-binding but I figure let's hear what the TGT Think Tank™ has to think about it.
    Guns International

Attachments

• 44carb.jpg
      44carb.jpg
      14.7 KB · Views: 544

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I like the single action guns too. I have a Blackhawk, and I like it alot. I heard that most of the companies doing pressure testing on pistols use the Blackhawk for that testing. It can handle some powerful loads.

BTW, I had that rifle in 9mm, and it was a blast to shoot. I regret selling it.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Red Hawk or 10.5 inch Super Blackhawk (my favorite)....
    I’d go with a somewhat shorter barrel than that—if only to keep it from being unwieldy. The carbine gives you the punch of the longer barrel. The handgun companion should be quick to draw and put into action.

Now if I was going afield with just a handgun, I’d be happy to have that longer barrel.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have the Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag with a 7.5" barrel, and a Winchester 100 anniversary edition 44 mag lever gun. I like em both. Alot.

Maybe like the lever gun more, as I didn't have to pay for it. It was a gift from a client that I did some good stuff for.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I didn't include the Super Redhawk on my list because I'm not intending to put a scope on it and I was looking at the 5.5" barrel length primarily. I'm open to being persuaded though. :)

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I didn't include the Super Redhawk on my list because I'm not intending to put a scope on it and I was looking at the 5.5" barrel length primarily. I'm open to being persuaded though. :)
    The Super RedHawk is ungodly strong. Load your own rhino killers or load it with some of the 340 gr Buffalo Bore dinosaur stoppers( although the RedHawk will digest those as well.

But the biggest reason is why be a badass when you can be a SuperBadass?

That and mounting an optic.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    The Super RedHawk is ungodly strong. Load your own rhino killers or load it with some of the 340 gr Buffalo Bore dinosaur stoppers( although the RedHawk will digest those as well.

But the biggest reason is why be a badass when you can be a SuperBadass?

That and mounting an optic.
    I like the overall look and feel of the Redhawk over the Super Redhawk; however, if I was going to scope the revolver, then I'd go SRH all the way.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Ok I have a new 629 and a redhawk from 99. I love me some 44 mag. First, my redhawk barrel is over 7 inches, my 629 is 3 inches. Each revolver fills a need. The 629 is very universal. Unlike other smaller diam cartridges the 44 mag doesn’t get too weak from a short barrel. Keep in mind I run mild loads in both. It’s a 44 mag...it has plenty of power to give an attacker animal or human, a bad day. Even with mild loads that 629 shouldn’t drop under 600 ftlbs pretty reasonable energy from a 3 inch barrel for any gun. It doesn’t recoil that bad.

Onto the redhawk. Due to its barrel length, you don’t need full house loads to drop something like a sack of potatoes. It’s a whole different beast from this barrel. This was my camping and hiking gun in Oregon. Now for hiking, a 629 makes more sense but I love that redhawk and I hit very well with it. I just feel safer and more confident with my redhawk. A direct hit with it...it’s really good odds it’s game over for your attacker. At 25, even 50 yards, it’s still giving a good 700-800.

You’re welcome to shoot my 44’s.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Ok I have a new 629 and a redhawk from 99. I love me some 44 mag. First, my redhawk barrel is over 7 inches, my 629 is 3 inches. Each revolver fills a need. The 629 is very universal. Unlike other smaller diam cartridges the 44 mag doesn’t get too weak from a short barrel. Keep in mind I run mild loads in both. It’s a 44 mag...it has plenty of power to give an attacker animal or human, a bad day. Even with mild loads that 629 shouldn’t drop under 600 ftlbs pretty reasonable energy from a 3 inch barrel for any gun. It doesn’t recoil that bad.

Onto the redhawk. Due to its barrel length, you don’t need full house loads to drop something like a sack of potatoes. It’s a whole different beast from this barrel. This was my camping and hiking gun in Oregon. Now for hiking, a 629 makes more sense but I love that redhawk and I hit very well with it. I just feel safer and more confident with my redhawk. A direct hit with it...it’s really good odds it’s game over for your attacker. At 25, even 50 yards, it’s still giving a good 700-800.

To your point about 3" .44s, I like the Rossi M720 in .44Special (and have* three of them as favored truck guns). Through my Ruger Redhawk and the soon-to-be-in-my-hands 77/44, I'll pretty much stick to .44Special rounds and not feel bad about the difference.

*Well, would have but for the seemingly endless series of nautical mishaps . . .

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond

If you'll be at the reunion in April I will take you up on that. Thank you.

My understanding is that .44 special may not cycle the carbine properly so I was thinking a 44 Mag revolver so I could use the same cartridges in both. I need to look into that.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    If you'll be at the reunion in April I will take you up on that. Thank you.
    Sounds good. Also, Saturday i work half day in Mansfield and they have a range. Sunday’s I can use my father in laws and his neighbors land in Palmer. I’m thinking of turning my Saturday’s into a weekly thing.

Top Bottom