• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    I hate jumping from job to job. I have really had two long running jobs. Current one and one in machining. I spent about 9 or so years there and just passed my 6th year at current. I love this job. Unless the pay was significant, I wouldn't leave here for anything. I learned that making more money doesn't equal happiness. You have to enjoy what you do. Dont get me wrong, I loved machining, but I didn't like the way it was conducted at that place.
    To me, happiness is key.
    ARJ Defense ad

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've asked my self the same question in the OP.

I had high hopes of moving in to a job and climbing up to the top but I've realized that most companies aren't moving employees up these days as much as hiring from outside.

I'm in the grind right now. Losing hope in the idea of hanging in and moving up, and questioning if I really want to spend my years with a company that has no loyalty to its employees.

At the same time I will be 29 in a couple weeks and feel like it's late in the game to start jumping around again.

I shoulda paid more attention in college or somethin I guess, maybe gone to a trade school.

You only get so many restarts but at 29 you arent too old to switch gears.

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    I've had plenty of jobs, my current job doesn't pay well, in fact I have a second job to supplement my income. Even though, I get to spend a good amount of time with my family and attend carbine matches once a month.

I learned a good lesson from a young man with a kind of MD this week. He is confined to a wheelchair and likely won't live as long as most of us. Even still he quoted John Lennon and said the purpose of life is to be happy.

All that to say I've worked at a job where I made more money but wouldn't go back because I was miserable 90% of the time.

Do what you love, even if you don't make a lot of money. You and your family will be much happier.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    After 30 years, the one truth I can stand on is that each job has it's own set of rewards and demons. Usually one just trades one set for another set.
    Yep, I've found that to be true as, well. You've got to play up the positives and try not to get jaded about the negatives. If you do get jaded and cynical, it's time to leave and start fresh somewhere else.

All that to say I've worked at a job where I made more money but wouldn't go back because I was miserable 90% of the time.

Do what you love, even if you don't make a lot of money. You and your family will be much happier.
    Yep... I would say that if you're switching jobs for money alone then you're just going to make yourself unhappy. Money is only one factor of many, and it shouldn't even really be at the top of the list. When I'm looking for a new job, I like to see who it is I'll be working for, what the team is like (if there is a team), how dynamic the environment is, what are the options for growth... In interviews I end up interviewing them as much as they are interviewing me. :laughing:

I don't even worry about money until they send me an offer letter.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I've changed jobs once since college.

I'm leery right now, didn't specialize enough. And so the value I have as an employee is higher if I stay with the company I am at. Don't like my job, but it pays for the house, food and some ammo in the city I wanna be in. Hey if work was fun I'd do it for free...

Personally I have 0 loyalty to the "company" as they have 0 loyalty to me. Which I'm fine with. It's not going to happen. But I could be fired tomorrow. We live in an at will state.

People our age im 30 gotta realize you gotta do the work before you reap the rewards. And we are to young to know enough to reap the rewards.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I'm 27 but have worked aside from one stint as a gas station clerk, in one career field since I was 16. I jump jobs often, if you don't feel like there is upwards mobility get out. It has worked well so far, screw loyalty.

Savage805

blueberry in tomato soup
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    paradise, ATX
    My first real job I busted my ass, made the company a truck load of money, did two to three times the production of people in the same position. The bosses were all smiles and "Hi, how you doing". When I ask for more money it was "Your allready at the top of what we pay for (position title)". It didn't matter how good I was at the job. When the end came they turned their back on me in a heartbeat. Went to a different company same story. Another company same story.

Went to school changed careers. Different career different song and dance. Same final outcome.

Bottom line "The Company" doesn't give a damn about you.

Advice: Work for yourself. Specialize in what you do. Charge the hell out of them for your services.
    Do what you love because you will probably never be able to retire.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    My first real job I busted my ass, made the company a truck load of money, did two to three times the production of people in the same position. The bosses were all smiles and "Hi, how you doing". When I ask for more money it was "Your allready at the top of what we pay for (position title)". It didn't matter how good I was at the job. When the end came they turned their back on me in a heartbeat. Went to a different company same story. Another company same story.

Went to school changed careers. Different career different song and dance. Same final outcome.

Bottom line "The Company" doesn't give a damn about you.

Advice: Work for yourself. Specialize in what you do. Charge the hell out of them for your services.
    Do what you love because you will probably never be able to retire.
    There are jobs out there that offer productivity bonuses where if you bust your ass you get a nice little pay bump.

That's great advise to do what you love and work for yourself. Seems to be the underlying theme on many of the threads like this...

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There are jobs out there that offer productivity bonuses where if you bust your ass you get a nice little pay bump.

That's great advise to do what you love and work for yourself. Seems to be the underlying theme on many of the threads like this...

That is true. Those jobs typically come with potential for great risk and great reward. Our ancestors used to do that, chase one potential fortune after the next. In a lot of ways it seems they were far more willing to roll the dice in life and failed more but with the chance of succeeding. Now it seems we are encouraged to be risk averse in careers.

This reminds me i need to start a thread about starting your own business.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Working for yourself does with come with risk; mostly in the form of regulation and the government trying to get their slice :p
    I've worked for myself before and most challenging part was budgeting. Kinda hard to predict what you might make next month when you're not on a salary and depend only on your clients. I did service work that fortunately isn't hardly regulated at all, but I'm sure I was doing *something* wrong.

My current job is pretty low risk, and the productivity bonuses are decent. About the only risk is me screwing up my bonus, but it pays well enough so that I don't have to live off the bonuses.

Top Bottom