• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Very Madisonian, but words on paper only have so much power. And, while I agree in general, vigilantism is not illegal in and of itself, even though some the acts that occur may be illegal.
    Splitting hairs.
    And shall we disregard the Constitution (say the 2nd Amendment) because it is just "words on paper"?

Vigilantism sometimes occurs specifically because the government failed or is essentially non-existent in performing law enforcement duties and keeping the peace.
    How many times has a mob beaten (and at times killed) a "criminal" they stopped only to find out it was the wrong man? I have read a number of such accounts over the years.

And how did law enforcement fail here? They can't be everywhere all the time. It appears they did not have time to respond.

As tempting as meting out the retribution can be, and at times it can seem justified, if we start condoning this we no longer have rule of law, but rather have headed down the slope to anarchy.
    ARJ Defense ad

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I don't know.
    According to the story, he chased after his children's kidnapper.
    It states that other people stepped in, and we don't know who actually beat the man.
    Could well be the mob, rather than the father. But whichever, the law was broken.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Splitting hairs.
    And shall we disregard the Constitution (say the 2nd Amendment) because it is just "words on paper"?

How many times has a mob beaten (and at times killed) a "criminal" they stopped only to find out it was the wrong man? I have read a number of such accounts over the years.

And how did law enforcement fail here? They can't be everywhere all the time. It appears they did not have time to respond.

As tempting as meting out the retribution can be, and at times it can seem justified, if we start condoning this we no longer have rule of law, but rather have headed down the slope to anarchy.

TPC 9.42. (2) (B).

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Our whole society has gotten too hostile. Did you see the news clip about 60 +/- black kids that ran into a CVS store stealing and vandalizing as they went? Where does this come from?
    The worst thing my generation did was sneaking beer and "streaking" college campuses and the local McDonalds . No harm, no foal.
    P.S: I met some interesting women during that time. Okay, Okay, this was back in the early 70's. We were more into fast cars and fast women, not robbing and shooting people.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I prefer permanently disabling as it has a powerful impact on others.

One day I saw a kid I grew up with in belly chains at the hospital. I sauntered up to say WTF and saw his right arm missing a little piece from the elbow down, ok half isnt little. Since he wasn't there for the arm as it had long since healed I asked what happend. Him and another guy I grew up with decided that carjacking was a profitable career choice especially for middle school dropouts.

He was at the passengers window and the other guy was at the drivers window as the tried to jack a guy at a red light. The only place more folks carry in their cars than TX is AZ and the driver promptly dropped the guy at his window cause he saw them comming from behind and was ready. As the dying carjacker started to fall he fired his shotgun and completely missed his intended victim but made a perfect shot thru the passenger compartment out the window and blew the lower half of his partner's arm off. Mangled it so bad reattaching it wasnt an option. Not that anyone was in a hurry to get him to a trauma center anyways.

I couldnt help but laugh and said that about settles the whole is carjacking a good career choice doesnt it. He agreed and I went on my way to drop off my prisoner.

Neither one of these guys were rocket scientists or decent people but the dead kids mom was always nice to everyone and always involved in school stuff even after her kid went bad. About a year before he was killed we all saw him in the news for donating a kidney to his mom who would have died soon without a transplant so I guess something good came from his life.

The other kid hated his nickname so much he was always fighting or rather loosing. They called him chicken wing and he would fight all comers....didnt even need to tie one hand behind his back to get beat down.

He became quite the successful entrepreneur. He wasnt good at being a criminal but was quite the prison drug importer after he got life in prison a few offenses later.

We all have our niche I guess.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I don't see how this outcome and the man just plain shooting the kidnapper are any different.

Different means to the same end.

If the headline read "Man shoots kidnapper" we would all be praising the boyfriend as a hero that took out the trash.

The mother did make a bad choice but she didn't make the kidnapper take her car and kids.

He won't do it again so I consider it a victory for our society.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I don't see how this outcome and the man just plain shooting the kidnapper are any different.

Different means to the same end.

If the headline read "Man shoots kidnapper" we would all be praising the boyfriend as a hero that took out the trash.

The mother did make a bad choice but she didn't make the kidnapper take her car and kids.

He won't do it again so I consider it a victory for our society.

Interesting perspective.

Top Bottom