• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4x4kayak2112

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Houston Area
    yes i have a CHL.....the "party" is in the street, kinda like the old timey street dances. I just remembered reading something somewhere about "mass gatherings"

also what about the parade before?

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    yes i have a CHL.....the "party" is in the street, kinda like the old timey street dances. I just remembered reading something somewhere about "mass gatherings"

If I recall correctly, At city events held at public places ie. parks, streets, what have you, you have the right to carry, unless the city has posted a 30.06 sign specificlly for that occasion in anticipation of alchohol being sold at the event, or some sort of school sports rally, or some other restriction that would violate the standard CHL laws.

I know we have an event here in Brownsville every year called Charo days, and they post the signs, even though it's a public place, because there is alot of alchohol sold at the event.

So just look for the sign, and if it's not there then I wouldn't worry about it.

But then if I'm wrong Txinvestigator will correct me I'm sure ........ he loves to do that, I thinks it's his hobby...... lol

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Also look for 51% signs. Some of your vendors (selling alcohol, of course) may be 51%. Beer carts usually aren't a problem, unless they have a porch or deck that might considered "building or portion of a building." Be careful of wine tasting booths or shops.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Nothing about mass gatherings in Texas law. If you will click on my name and go to my profile I have a Blog with a guide to basic gun laws. It might be of assistance to you.

Remember that 30.06 would not be applicable to places owned or leased by a government entity, so public streets, parks, right of ways, etc., can't be 30.06 enforced.

Enjoy your jubilee!

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx

I don't intend to throw stones, but if you are a CHL holder should you be asking this question?

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    I don't intend to throw stones, but if you are a CHL holder should you be asking this question?

If it were my guess it would be a case of "blame the teacher, not the student"

I've recently found that there appear to be teachers out there that are teaching CHL classes, and either not covering everything they should, concentrating on the wrong parts of the law when they teach, or just plain giving bad advice.

Wether this is due to ignorance, or just too many people jumping on the "I wanna teach a CHL class" bandwagon because it's a booming industry, well only the person making those mistakes can answer that, but I have seen several examples of this.

Do yourself a favor, if your looking into taking the class ask how long the person has been teaching the class, experience is key. And just take some time to talk to the person, and get a feel for who they are before u pay them and take the class.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    APatriot said:

All of that is true, to a point. I have taught hundreds of students. I walk them through everything, including paperwork. However, there are still those that fill out paperwork wrong. Everyone else in class heard me, but person A just can't follow instructions.

I read every test question to the class before we take the test. We then go over the questions and correct answer to be sure they understand. I do this immediately before the test, yet some still miss questions. People's minds can wander during instruction. They hear, "you cannot carry in government courts or offices untilized by the courts", and they only picke up the "government" part, so they think you cannot carry in any government office.

I am very specific, methodical and slow on the range. Yet some knucklehead will fire 5 rounds rather than 1, will load wrong, or even worse, violate a major safety rule we have gone over multiple times.

But rather than assign blame, let's look at this. A person takes the class and receives an initial license valid for 4 years. He was in the class no more than 15 hours, and seldom that long. There are hours worth of information to learn and test on. The person then goes on about his daily life, seldom thinking about what he learned. 2-3 months later his license arrives. How much is he really going to recall? He may skim through the book to refresh himself when his license first arrives. 4 years later he is going to attend a jubilee; what is the harm in asking on a forum if it is OK to carry? He is trying to be responsible, and to expect he would remember everything taught in a class 4 years ago is just not reasonable.

On your third renewal you don't even need a class. You could go ten years with no remedial training. Who is going to remember all of the carry laws that long?

Let them come here and ask questions, their lack of knowledge does not need to be blamed anywhere.

I know some folks come here and insist they were taught something, and we tell them they were taught wrong. Some were, some were not. Some folks don't pay attention in class, some confuse what they were actually told 3 years ago with what was written by some misinformed member on a gun board somewhere.....there are many reasons.....I have heard other instructors give wrong info to a class before too. Let the person ask here.

I admit I get frustrated when someone asks a questions, he is given the answer and the law to support it, then two pages later in the same thread someone pipes in with the wrong answer, but one full of authority or arrogance. But should we not cut some slack to those who simply start a thread and ask a question?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I never begrudge someone asking questions... Asking when you're not sure of something is preferable to just assuming you're right. Now if someone asks the same question repeatedly... well, they may have an issue.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx

I've recently found that there appear to be teachers out there that are teaching CHL classes, and either not covering everything they should, concentrating on the wrong parts of the law when they teach, or just plain giving bad advice.

Wether this is due to ignorance, or just too many people jumping on the "I wanna teach a CHL class" bandwagon because it's a booming industry, well only the person making those mistakes can answer that, but I have seen several examples of this.

Do yourself a favor, if your looking into taking the class ask how long the person has been teaching the class, experience is key. And just take some time to talk to the person, and get a feel for who they are before u pay them and take the class.

I was also given a booklet about the gun laws in the State of Texas. Maybe I should have recommended that it be read.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    The latest "Texas Gun Owners Guide" (7th edition) by Alan Korwin and Georgene Lockwood is available at www.gunlaws.com It's a real benefit to anyone contemplating carrying a firearm legally in Texas. Disclaimer -- I have nothing to do with the book or the publisher.

Top Bottom