• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roberthleeii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    I am going to need to buy some new carry ammo soon and wanted some opinions on what to buy. I have used hydra-shoks in my pistols for years but I feel it might be time for a change. My first choice is to try Hornady Critical Duty because it is fairly affordable and I have seen it everywhere...

seacam

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    Austin
    Reliability should be top priority in my opinion. I have always been a fan of the hydra-shock too. I have not tried the Hornady, but the profile looks like it should feed.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Your choice of critical duty is a very good one as was the Hydro-Shocks. Since it's fairly affordable you should get 200 rounds or so of the same lot if possible. Shoot 100 rounds and see how well the gun runs using it. If your satisfied you have a few years of carry ammo to swap out as you desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

roberthleeii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    What carry gun & caliber?
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.
    My main priority is 9mm. I usually carry a M&P shield. I am also extremely low for 45s for my 1911 and I have a 357 security six that I am planing to start carrying while working on the ranch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

roberthleeii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    Your choice of critical duty is a very good one as was the Hydro-Shocks. Since it's fairly affordable you should get 200 rounds or so of the same lot if possible. Shoot 100 rounds and see how well the gun runs using it. If your satisfied you have a few years of carry ammo to swap out as you desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I agree I am planning in buying 200 - 500 rounds to start with so I can confirm feeding reliability in a couple of pistols and magazines. And have enough to carry for a while. But I do want to be able to find some locally if needed. Hydra-shoks have been hard for me to find, especially for a good price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Federal HST .45 230gr, Critical Defense tends to hang up on some firearms due to polymer tip

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I have a 357 security six that I am planing to start carrying while working on the ranch.

If I might suggest... get a really good holster with a retention device for your Ruger. I have seen a couple go missing while doing chores on the ranch. One minute it's bouncing along in a cheap nylon uncle mikes thumb break holster and the next it's just gone somewhere on the ranch. Might not even notice it for hours.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    i posted on this before, I'll try to dig up the link.

caliber does make a little difference.

The best of the best was Winchester Ranger T, which is hard to come by. Basically the new name for Black Talon.

I ended up going with Federal HST. One of the larger expansions, and lesser penetration. Don't buy the 20-round boxes. I got online and ordered 300 rounds of each for about $150-180, I forget. 45 and 357sig.

I was surprised to see poorly most of the Hornady HD/SD/PD ammo performed. I love their bullets and I use their press, but their defensive ammo wasn't very good.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Any good quality defense round will work. I mainly stick to Gold Dot in 9mm and right now I am running Federal HST in 45. I get my carry ammo from here:
    http://www.sgammo.com/

With the 45 being a 1911, I would try several different rounds to find one that is 100% reliable. As for 357, I go with what I can find the best deal on. Right now I am running Gold Dot or Ranger.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Any good quality defense round will work. I mainly stick to Gold Dot in 9mm and right now I am running Federal HST in 45. I get my carry ammo from here:
    http://www.sgammo.com/

With the 45 being a 1911, I would try several different rounds to find one that is 100% reliable. As for 357, I go with what I can find the best deal on. Right now I am running Gold Dot or Ranger.
    i believe that's where I got my HST.

My FWPD buddy said all they use is Speer, FWIW.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST are definitely among the best SD rounds. Golden Saber is also good. You can find the Federal HST in 50 round boxes relatively cheap at SGammo, Target Sports USA, and Bone Frog Club

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I picked up some Ruger polymer ammo. a while back out of curiosity after seeing and reading quite a few reviews on it. It's the Polycase ARX - https://www.polycaseammo.com/project/inceptor-arx/ - After trying it out in my G19, a hundred rounds worth without a hiccup, and much easier follow up shots, I started carrying that. I also noticed quite a bit of weight difference with the polymer ammo. compared to more traditional hollow points.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If I might suggest... get a really good holster with a retention device for your Ruger. I have seen a couple go missing while doing chores on the ranch. One minute it's bouncing along in a cheap nylon uncle mikes thumb break holster and the next it's just gone somewhere on the ranch. Might not even notice it for hours.

Sounds like from personal experience, damn..

roberthleeii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    I think I am going to go with the Federal HST as long as it cycles well with my pistols and magazines. Any suggestions on the grains? 124 or 147?

Top Bottom