• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    TxDPS specified 30.06 signs are required to be physically posted on the building/property, correct?

Assuming all the 'who owns what blah, blah' completely meets 30.06 requirements. does a website announcing "no firearms allowed" need to be in strict compliance with the 30.06 signage specifications?

No.
    Guns International

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    So if it doesn't meet 30.06, the only thing that could keep me from carrying legally would be if it's a professional event or if I'm searched at the gate.

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    I went to the MotoGP race about 6 months back. I made the choice not to carry since it was a professional event. They werent checking individuals, but bags were checked.

I error on the side of caution. I left it locked up in the pickup safe before i got out.

Edit: If you want to risk being the test case, take the risk. It holds many professional events so no signage would be required in my opinion. Austin is not a city i would want to deal with in relation to grey areas of the law. Again, this is just one mans opinion. You will get a lot of them and have to make your own decision.

Last edited:

FiremanLyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Round Rock
    I worked out at the track installing stuff a few months ago. Noticed valid 30.06 signs in the amphitheater and the grandstands. Never checked to see if it was at the main gate, or just particular locations on the track.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I went to the MotoGP race about 6 months back. I made the choice not to carry since it was a professional event. They werent checking individuals, but bags were checked.

I error on the side of caution. I left it locked up in the pickup safe before i got out.

Edit: If you want to risk being the test case, take the risk. It holds many professional events so no signage would be required in my opinion. Austin is not a city i would want to deal with in relation to grey areas of the law. Again, this is just one mans opinion. You will get a lot of them and have to make your own decision.

If it's a professional event, there is no gray area. Carry under the authority of your CHL is unlawful. The only gray might be in what constitutes a professional event.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I would assume since I am paying for tickets and its at a professional venue would constitute it being a professional event, even though the racers aren't getting anything, but a trophy for who wins in the different classes. This, and drivers also need to be licensed to race, so not sure if that alone would make them professional racers.

Either way, I'll pass on carrying here. If I wasn't such a gear head I wouldn't go, but damn I love racing and old race cars

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I would assume since I am paying for tickets and its at a professional venue would constitute it being a professional event, even though the racers aren't getting anything, but a trophy for who wins in the different classes. This, and drivers also need to be licensed to race, so not sure if that alone would make them professional racers.

Either way, I'll pass on carrying here. If I wasn't such a gear head I wouldn't go, but damn I love racing and old race cars
    The participants are not paid? You sure? If not, I would say it is not a professional sporting event. What differentiates professional from amatuer?

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    The SVRA is just a racing club. The participants are eligible to awards and giveaways supplied by sponsors, but there is no cash payout for winners.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    But then these drivers need to have a racing license as well.... Now if this event was a NASA or SCCA track day, that would be amateur. I'm just not sure about this event.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I don't know that a league, association, etc., license makes an event professional. I have always been told, even by attorneys, that if they ain't getting paid, it ain't professional.

I'll run this by a group of criminal defense lawyers tomorrow.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It is more than getting paid. You need to make a livelihood. As a teenager I was awarded money for bowling and tennis, later I played softball and won some cash, but I was nowhere near a professional. Lot of small town rodeos where I live too, none of the participants are professionals, but they win prize money. 15 yo girls winning BBL racing, 10 yo kid wins calf chase, some adults win bull riding. None are professional, all have day jobs.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom