Carry on motorcycle without CHL?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by lazypineapple, Apr 14, 2009.

1. lazypineapple

lazypineapple New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Granbury,Texas
    Is there a legal way to carry while riding motorcycle.
    Without a CHL?
    Does it have to be consealed on the bike and not your person?
    I can easily stash it on my goldwing,
    but what about when I ride my chopper?

2. osol6329

osol6329 New Member

Apr 10, 2009
    I wear a leather vest that work good for me. During the hot summer days I switch to cloth vest. Try an inside your pants consealed holster. I carry a 3" Ultra 45.

3. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I am a bit confused by what your are asking. If you have a CHL and ride a motorcycle, just make sure the pistol is concealed. It would be better concealed on your person than on the bike. You can too easily get separated from your bike. Besides, if you are wearing proper protective clothing for riding a motorcycle, you should be able to conceal a cannon!

Now if you don't have a CHL, I am not sure if it is the same as carrying in a car.

4. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Being on a motorcycle is..scratch that, should be equivalent to being in a car. The gun has to stay on the bike and it must be in concealed.

-----------------------

PC 30.01 defines a vehicle.
    3) "Vehicle" includes any device in, on, or by which any person or property is or may be propelled, moved, or drawn in the normal course of commerce or transportation, except such devices as are classified as "habitation."

The problem with PC 30.01 is that it begins, "DEFINITIONS. In this chapter: ..." that is, Chapter 30.

PC 46.02 specifically says "inside of ... a motor vehicle."

----------------------

A lawyer and a judge can give the the final answer ;)

5. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I'm not sure either... ;)

It is. But as said, just not as easy to keep it out of sight and secure unless you have bags.

A CHL would make it much easier. That should answer either way, but I think the question was about carrying without a CHL on a bike like in a car, RV etc.

6. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    The statute (TPC Section 46.02) simply uses the term "motor vehicle". I've had this discussion with several officers who believe this does not apply to motorcycles. How's that for clarity?

7. DrBart2

DrBart2 Active Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I guess one would have to check to see if the state classifies a motorcycle as a "motor vehicle".

8. lazypineapple

lazypineapple New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Granbury,Texas
    just reread my post
    Should say "without a CHL"

Sorry

9. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    A motorcycle is a motor vehicle.

I suppose if you narrowly read the law, you cannot be "inside" a motorcycle.

However, I do not believe that the intent of the legislators was to exclude motorcycles.

IF non-CHL motorcycle carry is legal, then you can carry it on your person or on the bike while you are on the bike.

10. Old Man of the Mountain

Old Man of the Mountain Active Member

Jan 5, 2009
    If you have split tanks, some folks put a "glove box" between the tanks.

Some custom seats, P-pads, and sissy bar pads have a storage compartment.

If you are running a magneto with a wrap around oil tank, the spot where the battery is not could be a location.

There are a few more locations, but that should get you started.