Texas SOT

Carrying a rifle in a bug out situation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fosty 2.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2019
    Austin
    My wife an I have started getting serious about putting together some bug out bags recently and I've been putting some thought into the firearms I would bring.

I will definitely have a handgun with me, but I was wondering if I would want to be carrying a rifle caliber pistol (probably a PSA 10.5" AR pistol) or if I should have something smaller stashes in my bag like a Henry AR 7 survival rifle.

Both choices have their pros and cons, and of course nobody can say for sure which is best because situations and different areas will be a factor.

The way I see it is that if I go with the AR 7 I'll have the capability to hunt small game and still use it for defense (albeit less effectively), and it will attract less attention from those who may want to take my stuff .

However, if we're carrying a couple of bags with water bottles and tents strapped to them some folk are going to suspect that we have supplies and the bags alone could attract unwanted attention, and perhaps the AR pistol I'm packing would be a good sign for them to stay back and mind their own business.

Of course if I was carrying the AR pistol it wouldn't just be a deterrent, I feel like it would be a more capable weapon if I had to use it, as opposed to my handgun.

I'm really interested I hearing your thoughts.
    Open carried larger rifle, or concealed small rifle? Again, I plan on carrying a handgun too.

Thanks for reading.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Do you plan on driving, or are you assuming the true apocalypse?

If you are moving, if you have anything, you will stand out should the end of the world scenario arise.

Might as well have a rifle. AR pistol would be a good compromise.

If you figure on having a vehicle, that is a no brainer.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I want you all to grab the rifle you think you'd want. Grab 6 fully loaded mags of that rifle and then try to walk a mile in rough ground with that setup. Keep in mind this doesn't include your water, food, clothes, and backpack. Then let me know if you want a 5.56 caliber. The shit is heavy folks. 22LR seems weak but it's still deadly. People aren't going to be rolling around with level 3A body armor most likely because guess what.. ITS HEAVY AND MOST AMERICANS CANT EVEN WALK A MILE IN NORMAL CLOTHES MUCH LESS BODY ARMOR.

My bug out is an SMith and Wesson MP-22 it weighs 4.2 pounds fully loaded.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Personally, I don't plan on walking.

If you are forced to move, which many natural disasters require you to do, you'll be doing SOME walking... If its a SHTF scenario you can talk all the shit you want but once the first group of 30 scavengers shows up you'll regret holding up.

I am a fan of staying put as well. I won't leave unless it's absolutely necessary. That being said, if it's a serious situation you'll have to move and there's a possibility you won't be able to use a vehicle.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I want you all to grab the rifle you think you'd want. Grab 6 fully loaded mags of that rifle and then try to walk a mile in rough ground with that setup. Keep in mind this doesn't include your water, food, clothes, and backpack. Then let me know if you want a 5.56 caliber. The shit is heavy folks. 22LR seems weak but it's still deadly. People aren't going to be rolling around with level 3A body armor most likely because guess what.. ITS HEAVY AND MOST AMERICANS CANT EVEN WALK A MILE IN NORMAL CLOTHES MUCH LESS BODY ARMOR.

This for the win. Plus you can go shoot them to train at steel challenge matches for practice. Husband and wife can each compete and the loser buys lunch. That’s what we do. It’s a fun couples date.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Also, these 15-22s are cheap enough you can get more than one. We have three teenage sons, I think at this point we are up to three of these rifles and probably more are in our future, to outfit us all.

Fosty 2.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2019
    Austin

You make good points. Another thought that I had is that if you do come across another guy or girl who is geared up, chances are that they're probably decent folk like ourselves. My main concern would be about low life thugs.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    A bug out situation where you are asking about a 22 for hunting food, is probably the last bug out situation you need to solve. For example, do you right now, have a reliable car, with a full tank of fuel, extra fuel, a decent bug out kit ready to go if you have to leave in the next 5 minutes due to storm, flood, riot, etc? If not, solve that scenario first.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    You’ve got a hell of a lot to learn. Won’t take no time to build a foundation, you just have to make up your mind and do it.

f you’re thinking about the possibility of really needing a long arm to protect yourself, parts availability and ease of repair are MAJOR considerations. I’d go with a well known platform with ample parts kit availability that’s relatively easy to strip and repair. That would be, hands down, an AR in an M4 configuration with a sliding stock. IMHO don’t roll your own, buy off the shelf. If you’re on a budget and Inwere in your shoes, I’d get an M&P15T. (I’m not gonna get in a pissing match in an AR popularity contest with anyone that doesn’t have a CIB so I’ll leave it at that)

I’d add a set of good NODs, 30-40 pmags, and an AR parts kit including spare ejector springs, tools, and BCG’s for good measure.

As far is fitness is concerned, nothing, and I mean NOTHING, beats rucking.

Regarding gear, get a plate carrier and plates, camelback, and a med kit including quick clot. And learn how to use it. Commas are also important, get a HAM no-code license and join a HAM group. You’ll need to use off the grid commas if you want to stay connected but that’s a lengthy topic in and of itself best left for a different discussion.

I’ve got an 8 foot long garment rack full of carriers, armor and vests from time working for uncle sugar. Each one serves a different purpose, and fully loaded, each one will drown your ass if you don’t know how to roll. It’s not a simple matter of dressing the part. You need to know how to use the gear or it will get your ass smoked.

Check out my buddies site, he has a ton of good shit on gear. You won’t go wrong.

www.militarymoron.com

edit - another go to site is https://www.lightfighter.net/ I’d suggest READING and staying in your lane. There’s a lot of HSLD guys on the site and they don’t take kindly to stupidity or assclowns. I’ve been a member for roughly 20 years and consider the wealth of shared knowledge invaluable.

Last edited:

Fosty 2.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2019
    Austin
    If you’re thinking about the possibility of really needing a long arm to protect yourself, parts availability and ease of repair are MAJOR considerations. I’d go with a well known platform with ample parts kit availability that’s relatively easy to strip and repair. That would be, hands down, an AR in an M4 configuration with a sliding stock.

I’d add a set of good NODs and an AR parts kit including spare ejector springs, tools, and BCG’s for good measure.

Yeah that was my reasoning for considering an AR15 pistol. I just don't know if I want people to see me carrying it if there is some kind of chaos out in the streets.

I think am leaning towards the AR 7 survival rifle in my backpack.
    If I'm trying to get out of a suburban area, I feel like a 9mm with some extra mags on my belt should be sufficient, however correct me if you think I am wrong. I've only been in the states for 2 years now and although I love them; I'm no expert on firearms.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    AR’s are ubiquitous. AR7, who knows. An M4 can be easily concealed. If you have the patience and don’t mind dealing with the paperwork get an SBR. An AR pistol is a piss poor survival weapon. It’s not a pistol, not a rifle, and it sucks at either role. Survival means a lot of things, including keeping people from taking your shit. Don’t compromise with half assed solutions to a problem.

If your shit goes tits up, and it will, you want to be able to obtain parts. Easily. And the parts make excellent trade goods.

fwiw, if you don’t have an aversion to people of faith get hooked up with a Mormon Ward and ask some questions. End times and preparedness is a component of Mormon religious doctrine and they’ve perfected the art of survival planning, each Ward having a disaster preparedness program and POC. They own numerous ranches and farms and have huge stashes of food that are strategically placed all around the country. They are extremely disciplined, smart, tough, and they know wtf is going on. And they are seriously prepared for the worst in ways that non Mormons cannot begin to fathom.

Last edited:

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Talk about preparedness reminds me of a saying from some of my training cadre years ago.

“One gun is none, and two guns are one”

Shit breaks. Always have a backup.

Fosty 2.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2019
    Austin
    AR’s are ubiquitous. AR7, who knows. An M4 can be easily concealed. If you have the patience and don’t mind dealing with the paperwork get an SBR. An AR pistol is a piss poor survival weapon. It’s not a pistol, not a rifle, and it sucks at either role. Survival means a lot of things, including keeping people from taking your shit. Don’t compromise with half assed solutions to a problem.

If your shit goes tits up, and it will, you want to be able to obtain parts. Easily. And the parts make excellent trade goods.

fwiw, if you don’t have an aversion to people of faith get hooked up with a Mormon Ward and ask some questions. End times and preparedness is a component of Mormon religious doctrine and they’ve perfected the art of survival planning, each Ward having a disaster preparedness program and POC. They own numerous ranches and farms all around the country and have huge stashes of food that are strategically placed all around the country. They are extremely disciplined, smart, tough, and they know wtf is going on. And they are seriously prepared for the worst in ways that non Mormons cannot begin to fathom.

An AR pistol is basically an SBR with a brace instead of a stock is it not?

Also, I didn't know that about the mormons. Quite interesting.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I get the impression you want an AR pistol for other reasons. I can’t decide what’s right for you, that’s your choice.

I’ve said all I care to about the subject. I’m sure others have a valid opinion about the matter, perhaps they’ll chime in.

Last edited:

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    A .22 Magnum rifle might be a good way to split the difference. More punch than a .22lr, but lighter to tote than a 5.56. If you can get a Henry or Winchester lever-action carbine, you'll be set.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If you are forced to move, which many natural disasters require you to do, you'll be doing SOME walking... If its a SHTF scenario you can talk all the shit you want but once the first group of 30 scavengers shows up you'll regret holding up.

I am a fan of staying put as well. I won't leave unless it's absolutely necessary. That being said, if it's a serious situation you'll have to move and there's a possibility you won't be able to use a vehicle.

Easy there, pilgrim. No need to get your panties in a wad.

You are talking two different scenarios, in all likelihood.

Natural disasters are not likely to be "hits the fan" scenarios, at least in this country. Often just the opposite, with people pulling together.

If it hits the fan, neighbors will suddenly realize the need for good neighbors again. And good folks will band together. And there is no reason to think vehicle use won't be possible in that scenario. Should that not be the case, I will deal with it. But I won't waste time speculating on tactics in this moment.

Top Bottom