• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    I have at times fractured a few laws...just about every place you can find a speed limit sign. Anyhow, I still do not have my CHL either. When ever I get pulled over I always mentioned I'm armed. The cop usualy asked me if I have a CHL. I state no, I'm just traveling...yes I travel a great deal. They usualy just say ok and on with the orginal reason for pulling me over. I haven't had one cop ask me where the firearm is located or to disarm me. Now I'm not saying it want happen, just voicing my experience. It's just my opinion but LEOs seem to respect gun owners...even people who speed a little.
    Texas SOT

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have at times fractured a few laws...just about everything you can find a speed limit sign. Anyhow, I still do not have my CHL either. When ever I get pulled over I always mentioned I'm armed. The cop usualy asked me if I have a CHL. I state no, I'm just traveling...yes I travel a great deal. They usualy just say ok and on with the orginal reason for pulling me over. I haven't had one cop ask me where the firearm is located or to disarm me. Now I'm not saying it want happen, just voicing my experience. It's just my opinion but LEOs seem to respect gun owners...even people who speed a little.

accurate assesment as long as they "law abiding" gun owners. before we were cops, we were gun owners too.

choctaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    They usualy just say ok and on with the orginal reason for pulling me over. I haven't had one cop ask me where the firearm is located or to disarm me

I'm very glad you have never been jacked up. I've been in law enforcement for many years, and have yet to deal negatively with a law abiding citizen and their right to be armed. However, if you are an armed criminal, I will cheerfully ruin your day.

Rbrt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Houston
    Glad to hear from people like Choctaw and Texascop2 who are LEOs, or were. Two weeks ago I asked a captain in one of the LE agencies here in Houston, also with "trainer" on his shirt, about what you could carry, loaded/unloaded, and where in the car. He told me that you could carry a pistol without the magazine as long as it was out of sight, out of reach (glovebox is w/i reach), but "under the seat is OK" (go figure). We were standing in the line at the post office: not an official inquiry.

I frankly think he was just discouraging carrying.

Nevertheless, I was damn glad I had it this w/e because it kept a dispute peaceable over a parking place I beat a guy out of -- and I never even had to show the weapon, just get halfway out of the car with my right arm still in it and hanging down out of sight, plus a "no fear" attitude on my part. (BTW I gave the guy the place because he asked it more or less pleadingly as a favor, had 2 minor kids in the car, and had rather obviously been pushed into it by his wife.)

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Nevertheless, I was damn glad I had it this w/e because it kept a dispute peaceable over a parking place I beat a guy out of -- and I never even had to show the weapon, just get halfway out of the car with my right arm still in it and hanging down out of sight, plus a "no fear" attitude on my part. (BTW I gave the guy the place because he asked it more or less pleadingly as a favor, had 2 minor kids in the car, and had rather obviously been pushed into it by his wife.)

Ya, it's a good thing brandishing is encouraged when trying to get a good parking place, but glad you didn't have to resort to it and just had to act like you were reaching for it because you know, he knew you had a gun and that changed his demeanor. If it weren't for firearms, I'd never get to park in the really good spots.

Ya I know, here I go again. But sometimes, it's just so easy.....

glockrocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sorry Rbt, I really hate to jump on the dogpile, but that safe travel law is there so people have a means of protecting themselves and thier vehicles, not to show the rest of the world "who's boss". On another note...I usually carry my glock or xd in the glove box or in a 'grabable' location, but a few months ago I was traveling up by Bryan to see a friend and had my glock and kt sub2000 in the trunk. I won't get into the detials on where or why I was searched (I will say I did nothing wrong though) but the LEO told me in Texas they have a law about driving with guns, that they "have to be under two sets of lock-n-keys, but he was going to cut me a break". I knew this wasn't right but didnt see the point in arguing.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Sorry Rbt, I really hate to jump on the dogpile, but that safe travel law is there so people have a means of protecting themselves and thier vehicles, not to show the rest of the world "who's boss". On another note...I usually carry my glock or xd in the glove box or in a 'grabable' location, but a few months ago I was traveling up by Bryan to see a friend and had my glock and kt sub2000 in the trunk. I won't get into the detials on where or why I was searched (I will say I did nothing wrong though) but the LEO told me in Texas they have a law about driving with guns, that they "have to be under two sets of lock-n-keys, but he was going to cut me a break". I knew this wasn't right but didnt see the point in arguing.

If you don't mind, I'd be curious to know where by Bryan and what agency the officer was with. If you'd rather not disclose I understand.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    .....but the LEO told me in Texas they have a law about driving with guns, that they "have to be under two sets of lock-n-keys, but he was going to cut me a break". I knew this wasn't right but didnt see the point in arguing.

Sometimes biting your tongue is hard, but necessary, especially with a POS like that. I won't question LE tactics in most cases, but to demonstrate what would be a showing of total ignorance doesn't make any sense, I don't care what agency it is.

Are you sure you weren't at the mall and did he rolled up on a scooter?

glockrocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    LOL, he claimed to be a cop, but I never saw a badge. But it was a 'secure' location I should of known better then to bring firearms to but was planning on going to a friends property to send some lead down range afterwards. He wasn't a jerk about it, just very misinformed I think.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    LOL, he claimed to be a cop, but I never saw a badge. But it was a 'secure' location I should of known better then to bring firearms to but was planning on going to a friends property to send some lead down range afterwards. He wasn't a jerk about it, just very misinformed I think.

Prolly a transplanted Yankee. . . .

Rbrt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Houston
    Ya, it's a good thing brandishing is encouraged when trying to get a good parking place, but glad you didn't have to resort to it and just had to act like you were reaching for it because you know, he knew you had a gun and that changed his demeanor. If it weren't for firearms, I'd never get to park in the really good spots.

Ya I know, here I go again. But sometimes, it's just so easy.....
    You know, if you're going to make these sarcastic comments about messages, you might at least first READ them. Nobody's demeanor "changed," I didn't "reach" for anything or "brandish" anything. Nor did I "get to park in the really good spot" because I GAVE IT TO HIM!

Turned out he was cool from the moment we made eye contact, which was after I had parked the car and turned off the engine and he showed up in front of my bumper,and not only was I civil to him in turn but also saw that the right thing to do was to just shrug it off and let him take his 2 two-year-olds to the potty, as he implied they needed (and also to avoid feeling like some petty macho jerk conqueror who'd just made 4 enemies).

My ONLY point in relating all that in the first place was that it was good to have the assurance that if this very muscular guy in his late 20s turned out to be not so nice--which regularly happens in parking-lot disputes-- there was some kind of backup, and that kept everything nice and factual and cooperative and equal. Ain't life grand?

ANOTHER point is that people (at least me) who want to make some productive use of this site come here for FACTS (laws or things like experience with various sidearms) NOT broadsides.You could have picked that up, maybe, in looking at some of the responses to your 1120+ postings in 11 months(!).

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

There's usually more to every story........now we're getting a peak and it looks different now.

The first thing, you let someone stop and search and you don't know for sure if he was LEO? No badge, no ID? Think about how that sounds.....

You know you have to tell us the story now, right?

Rbrt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Houston
    Not to worry, Glockrocker, wasn't really referring to what YOU said, but thanks much for your considerate response. BTW the "4 enemies" I might have made were the guy, his wife, and the 2 kids.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    You know, if you're going to make these sarcastic comments about messages, you might at least first READ them.

Please review. You introduced the idea that because you had a gun, you were in a better situation when involved in an incident involving getting a good parking place. It's no surprise sarcasm poured in your direction.

Regardless of what you said or did, you posted something that showed recklessness and irresponsibility whether it's what really happened or not; you eluded to it being true. I have a feeling you were just caught up in the discussion and were for some reason, compelled to embellish the story, but it didn't work out well for you.

Rbrt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Houston
    Ummmm... "alluded," not "eluded." But that's just symptomatic. Like I say, people use this site to get FACTS (or informed opinion), NOT be subject to knee-jerk sarcastic broadsides (at least that's why I use it) by some guy lurking in the shadows waiting to pounce and throw around a lot of emoticons after he half-reads what you say. Goes with the territory I suppose.

And I didn't "embellish" anything: nothing that I said the second time contradicts anything that I said the first time, and thus "whether or not it's what really happened" is really pretty uncalled-for. There is no way that anybody except somebody who wanted to could get the impression that the guy's demeanor "changed," or that I "reached" for something or "brandished" anything. It's just not there.

The only way I'd change what I first said is that I could have said "politely," not "pleadingly," but you could laugh WITH this big guy, not AT him, being hounded out into the parking lot by his wife over a stupid parking place. Easy to commiserate, most of us have been there, pushed into a situation that was really not worth it by an angry wife/girlfriend.

Notably the 2 other guys who agreed with you came AFTER you and weren't sarcastic at all and very brief.

Another reason that I wanted to post this in the first place was because after it happened I realized that a gun in the car, even when you're clearly within your rights, can have such incredibly terrible consequences, -- suppose that guy had been barreling around the car? I hadn't seen his wife and 2 kids, and I could have defended myself against assault, but at what a price--to me AND him (and them).

I have lately sworn to "never complain, never explain" and I'm starting to realize why. I've also sworn to "never criticize, never condemn," but like you, JKTex, sometimes it's just so easy. No problem ...

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    blah blah blah blah

Commando Rbrt, get over it. ;)

But I do appreciate you correcting my using the wrong word. To do that and the rest of the blah blah, shows how much of an impression it made. Obviously this is a sensitive issue for you.

I think it's obvious you got the message and hopefully see fact that a gun isn't a casual instrument of control. Enjoy the day.

(see, too easy :p )

Gonyea

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    MCB Quantico

He could have been a yankee?:confused: or just as easily a terrorist... if someone stops you in plain clothes and wants to search you... you best be getting some identification... because he can easlily disarm you bury you in the dirt take you vehicle and weapons. He can then make his way to a target and your dead body is now an accomplice to domestic terrorism.
    Never ever ever leave your vehicle without making sure someone is a LEO!

glockrocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Alright, I'm half-witted at times and my story does read very funny, so I'll elaborate. I pulled in a parking lot where every car gets searched (Never been there before, did not know), I immediatly told the personnel I had 2 guns in the trunk, thats when they told me to wait for an officer. A man came out of the building (plain clothed) and addressed himself as officer so and so and gave me my new chunk of wisdom requarding Texas gun laws.

Top Bottom