• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ttuttle

An old guy who like to shoot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    I run my brass 12 hours or so in untreated corn cob. It comes out very shiny.

I am not surprised that you are not having the best luck with the cheapest tumbler available.
    What are better ones? Cost vs. value?

ttuttle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    I'm using a Lyman Turbo Pro 1200. Maybe 70 or 80 dollars. Been running it for years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Do you think it's better than a Franklin? Is so, why? I would like to be convinced to spend the dinaro.

ttuttle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    I thought the tumber is a tumbler and the pins are the media, two different things. Can't you use pins in a vibrator, or corn cobs in a rock tumbler? I don't want to confuse the point but the machine and the media are two different things.
    A stainless steel pin tumbler is a rock tumbler.[/QUO

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I thought the tumber is a tumbler and the pins are the media, two different things. Can't you use pins in a vibrator, or corn cobs in a rock tumbler? I don't want to confuse the point but the machine and the media are two different things.
    You can use dry media in a rotating tumbler. I am not sure how effective it would be though without the vibration.

Pins do not work in a regular tumbler. They are heavy and just settle to the bottom without mixing with the brass.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What are better ones? Cost vs. value?
    That I can't answer truthfully. I have just seen many people complain about the FA and its lack of cleaning ability. Check the 'net for hacks that may help with it.

I use a Thumbler's Tumbler which works great. I got mine used cheap but new they are spendy.

If you are going to spend Thumbler's type money I would recommend going with wet tumbling. The FA rotating model seems to work well with that.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    H

Has anybody ever used a rock tumbler? If so what was your experience?
    Tried it, but the rocks tend to dent the cases. :roflfunny:

But seriously, I've tried vibratory w/ walnut, ultrasonic (small and mega tub versions), and the tumbler with steel pins. I find the steel pin/tumber works best. Wasn't too impressed with the walnut plus it takes a long time. The ultrasonic was pretty good but the pins seem to get more tough stuff off/out. Surprisingly, it cleaned the primer pockets very well too. Ultrasonic is faster and no media to sort so that's a big plus, but the pins seems the most consistent and most aggressive in case you have filthy brass. If you're cleaning your once-fired, Lapua brass that you gently caress out of your chamber after each firing, maybe you don't need aggressive cleaning. If you're a brass vulture and pick up random buried treasure at the outdoor range, you may want the pins. You'll be impressed.

We actually sell what I use and I use what we sell. It's nice because someone will pick just about anything off the shelf and I'll say "I use that". The only few exceptions is that I use a GemPro250 scale instead of the cheaper scales. I even use it to verify my Hornady chargemaster or whatever they call it (I think that's RCBS's name). In fact, oftentimes I'll buy two of something new: one for me and one for the store. it also allows me to try lots of variations (light chrono-> magnetospeed-> labradar as another example).

To someone else's point, you do have to temper how much you use. I've overloaded the tumbler with too much brass/media and it wouldn't turn or tumble. Just watch the weight. Water, dish soap, and lemishine for my wet mix.

I also use the Hornady brass dryer. Only takes about 15-20 minutes to complete dry the brass (and they're hot when they come out, so be careful). The problem with wet media (ultrasonic or steel pins) is that you have to make sure the brass is bone dry. A little tiny collection of wet near the web at the base of the bottleneck case or in the flash hole that you could never see might do bad things when you add your powder.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Tried it, but the rocks tend to dent the cases. :roflfunny:

But seriously, I've tried vibratory w/ walnut, ultrasonic (small and mega tub versions), and the tumbler with steel pins. I find the steel pin/tumber works best. Wasn't too impressed with the walnut plus it takes a long time. The ultrasonic was pretty good but the pins seem to get more tough stuff off/out. Surprisingly, it cleaned the primer pockets very well too. Ultrasonic is faster and no media to sort so that's a big plus, but the pins seems the most consistent and most aggressive in case you have filthy brass. If you're cleaning your once-fired, Lapua brass that you gently caress out of your chamber after each firing, maybe you don't need aggressive cleaning. If you're a brass vulture and pick up random buried treasure at the outdoor range, you may want the pins. You'll be impressed.

We actually sell what I use and I use what we sell. It's nice because someone will pick just about anything off the shelf and I'll say "I use that". The only few exceptions is that I use a GemPro250 scale instead of the cheaper scales. I even use it to verify my Hornady chargemaster or whatever they call it (I think that's RCBS's name). In fact, oftentimes I'll buy two of something new: one for me and one for the store. it also allows me to try lots of variations (light chrono-> magnetospeed-> labradar as another example).

To someone else's point, you do have to temper how much you use. I've overloaded the tumbler with too much brass/media and it wouldn't turn or tumble. Just watch the weight. Water, dish soap, and lemishine for my wet mix.

I also use the Hornady brass dryer. Only takes about 15-20 minutes to complete dry the brass (and they're hot when they come out, so be careful). The problem with wet media (ultrasonic or steel pins) is that you have to make sure the brass is bone dry. A little tiny collection of wet near the web at the base of the bottleneck case or in the flash hole that you could never see might do bad things when you add your powder.
    I use a dehydrator to dry my brass.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    A bit of quandry. I have tried corn cobs and walnut shells for polishing brass in a shaker but either process is slow and not very successful. I am wondering about using aluminum oxide blasting media or even silicon carbide grit. Questions:
    1. Has anyone tried either of these solutions?
    2. If so, what grit size did you use?
    3. Did it work out successfully?
    4. How long did the shells "cook" in the shaker?
    Thanks for the help and any suggestions you may have

7-8 years ago I bought something like you are asking about. All that I remember is that it was black and used in sand/glass blasting. I believed the claim that it was next big thing. The stuff turned my brass black!

Needless to say, I was hornswaggled. I immediately threw it away.

Top Bottom