• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Been watching ultimate reloader a bit. I notice when he is showing a progressive press that he never mentions case lube. He just loads a once fired cases in the press. De-primes it and keeps on going through all the stations until he has a completed round. What about the lube on the case. Or am I missing something. Not sure if anyone knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Been watching ultimate reloader a bit. I notice when he is showing a progressive press that he never mentions case lube. He just loads a once fired cases in the press. De-primes it and keeps on going through all the stations until he has a completed round. What about the lube on the case. Or am I missing something. Not sure if anyone knows.

Straight wall, or bottle neck?

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I use Hornady one shot on the progressive press.

I can lube the whole tray full at once. When I start to feel a little more resistance I hit it again.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    1626058032725.png

Just a light spritz of this will do you, for most pistol cases

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016

I can lube the whole tray full at once.

No need to clean it off afterwards

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    No need to clean it off afterwards

No sir. Fill the reloading bin with cases, give it a shot of lube and shake it around. Then start loading.

I know a guy that uses a ziploc bag to hold the cases and sprays them inside it.

Last edited:

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Being a single stage guy, I'm a big believer in sizing die wax.

I use sizing wax on my single stage press then I tumble the brass to get the lube/wax off the resized case then I prime, add powder, seat and crimp bullet. Progressive presses are new to me and I’m looking at getting one.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I’m looking at the Lee breech lock progressive press since I have the single stage one. So I should change to one shot spray lube for progressive and not worry about cleaning spay off cases basically

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I’m looking at the Lee breech lock progressive press since I have the single stage one. So I should change to one shot spray lube for progressive and not worry about cleaning spay off cases basically

Hey U,

For bottle neck cases? Would use the H'Day and a touch of IMPERIAL SIZING WAX as I place the case into the machine.

1626059503185.png

That little can? Good for about 30,000 of the 30-06 loadings...plus a bunch of 22-250....

Later, Mark

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I size all rifle cases on my single stage press using One Shot then tumble again to remove it.

I then run them through the progressive if it's for bulk plinking ammo. Universal decapper in stage one to clear the flash holes of any media.

I give a little shot of One Shot to pistol cases and the die but don't bother removing it in any way.

I use a small Rubbermaid container to apply the One Shot to rifle cases. A little spray, put the lid on and mix, and another little spray then start loading. Spray inside the die too.

Using loading trays was too messy and Ziplock baggies were hard to clean the errant media out of. Too cheap to use a new bag every time.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

Save your money. You won't be happy with this press. If you want progressive don't buy Lee, go Dillon. I like my Lee classic turret but their breech lock pro is a POS.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US

I can lube the whole tray full at once. When I start to feel a little more resistance I hit it again.

^Just my .02, but fwiw - I've found the Hornady stuff works great for most things (everything I've used it with but one); however, had a bit of a blood-pressure-raising experience using that to FL resize .458 SOCOM brass. May have been related to technique, but switch to case lube for those and haven't had any issues since...

Being a single stage guy, I'm a big believer in sizing die wax.

^this is similar (diff branding) to what I've found to work best for SOCOM (and 45-70, etc.) brass...for me, anyway...

For bottle neck cases? Would use the H'Day and a touch of IMPERIAL SIZING WAX as I place the case into the machine...

I may be mistaken, but seem to recall seeing something to the effect of a warning against mixing anything else with the Hornady stuff, and so have avoided doing that so far...something to look into when time permits.

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    As Vaquero pointed out, I don't lube straight wall cases because carbide dies don't need it. I use a single stage press for rifle rounds and I don't remember the current lube - I think it's Lyman's. I've tried several and generally haven't had many problems. It does take a bit to get the right amount - enough to lube without causing problems.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    As Vaquero pointed out, I don't lube straight wall cases because carbide dies don't need it. I use a single stage press for rifle rounds and I don't remember the current lube - I think it's Lyman's. I've tried several and generally haven't had many problems. It does take a bit to get the right amount - enough to lube without causing problems.
    Bigger straightwall cases (460, 500, even 44 Mag, etc.) can really benefit from a little spritz even with carbide dies.

Nothing about carbide dies says you can't use lube.

Just throwing that out there.

Top Bottom