Cash value vs Trade Value - help me understand why there is a difference

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
TGT Supporter
Jan 15, 2012
Waco-ish
I see a lot of ads across the ole interweb offering guns for sale that have a cash asking price and then "trade value" that is sometimes 20% more than the cash value.

I don't understand why there are two values associated with a single item.

We all know that if you trade cars at a dealership and they offer you $100 for you car, they've jacked the purchase price $75.
Why not just establish value and be done instead of playing what can appear to be shady games?

What am I missing?

ArmyZach

Aug 21, 2013
Joshua
I'm not sure.
Maybe "My used stuff is better than your used stuff" kind of philosophy.
Or a "cash is king" mentality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

40Arpent

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
Houston
A higher trade price indicates a preference for a cash sale, i.e., cash is king, like Zach said.

Anger

Well-Known
Jan 7, 2010
Washington MI (glorious in summer)
I see a lot of ads across the ole interweb offering guns for sale that have a cash asking price and then "trade value" that is sometimes 20% more than the cash value.

I don't understand why there are two values associated with a single item.

We all know that if you trade cars at a dealership and they offer you $100 for you car, they've jacked the purchase price $75.
Why not just establish value and be done instead of playing what can appear to be shady games?

What am I missing?
I always thought it was a pre-emptive move against fellow trader's unrealistically high trade values (heck, for sale values) on used equipment. Heck, people all the time ask more than new street value for used equipment.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
TGT Supporter
Jan 15, 2012
Waco-ish
I always thought it was a pre-emptive move against fellow trader's unrealistically high trade values (heck, for sale values) on used equipment. Heck, people all the time ask more than new street value for used equipment.
True statement there.

But seldom do they advertise the new retail price and the ridiculous used price.

Charlie

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Kerr County
I'm always amazed at the asking cash price of, for example, a used Glock that is the same as or even more than a new Glock.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
Feb 19, 2013
Austin, TX
I always ask for above what I expect by a little. I assume there will be some haggling involved when I sell a firearm. Also, for trades, a lot of the time I am looking to "trade up" so I ask for things worth more, but I always specify that I am willing to add cash to the transaction.

I have more experience with "collector" firearms and in that arena people are often apt to ask for the absolute maximum price they can find it going for anywhere. If one example of it went once for $1,000 they will ask that for their rusted out tomato stake. Lol.

Charlie

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Kerr County
I'm more understanding about varying prices on "collector" guns, especially the older models. Prices for a 20 to 30 yr. old gun are , IMO, based on condition, rarity, and how bad the buyer thinks he "needs" that particular gun. It should be quite different than selling "LNIB" modern guns.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
TGT Supporter
Jan 15, 2012
Waco-ish
Not disagreeing at all, but a seller can ask whatever they like for an item just as a buyer can offer whatever they like. I don't understand why folks takes either so personally, but that's a different thread ...

My head scratching comes from advertising two seperat values for a single item. I don't see the marketing strategy there.

Charlie

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Kerr County
Not disagreeing at all, but a seller can ask whatever they like for an item just as a buyer can offer whatever they like. I don't understand why folks takes either so personally, but that's a different thread ...

My head scratching comes from advertising two seperat values for a single item. I don't see the marketing strategy there.
Absolutely correct and I too have noticed people get very sensitive about something they want to get rid of. I personally don't care if somebody "lowballs" me with a price, I just respond with a polite no thanks.

Top Bottom