• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Oh and I was incorrect. It's a 9.5 QT pot.

Thats their large oval Dutch oven. I've got one that I use for cooking pork shoulders, casseroles and etc. It's large. But hang onto it. Before you know it, you'll have a bunch of mouths to feed. You know women..., that nesting clock is always ticking.
    Capitol Armory ad

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Oh and I was incorrect. It's a 9.5 QT pot.

Yeah, that's a big pot, especially for two people.

The one Le Creuset I've got is a 5.5 QT oval and I rarely use it, although I just happen to use it tonight for a ground beef and wild rice casserole-type dish. As the Brits say, "Worked a treat!"

NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Big pot came in handy. Four friends came over for dinner and the wife made a huge amount of penne alla vodka. That size was needed to hold all the goodness.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    We had to toss our cast iron
    View attachment 127752

I got this for Christmas. I haven’t used it yet. Should be fun tho.

(I have 3 girls, hence the hearts)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Won't work at my house, we hat to toss ours. There are 3 kinds of cook tops: Gas, Electric and Induction. If you cook on an Induction you will NEVER go back to gas or electric. BUT it takes special cookware: 1) if a magnet will not stick to it, won't work; 2) must have a FLAT bottom that is flat agains the cooktop surface or it won't work.

I could not find flat smooth bottom cast iron, if anyone has some give the mfg as I grew up with cast iron.

The way we cleaned our skillet, paper towel

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    We had to toss our cast iron

Won't work at my house, we hat to toss ours. There are 3 kinds of cook tops: Gas, Electric and Induction. If you cook on an Induction you will NEVER go back to gas or electric. BUT it takes special cookware: 1) if a magnet will not stick to it, won't work; 2) must have a FLAT bottom that is flat agains the cooktop surface or it won't work.

I could not find flat smooth bottom cast iron, if anyone has some give the mfg as I grew up with cast iron.

The way we cleaned our skillet, paper towel
    I've been peddling electricity for way over 30 years.
    I've made a fine living off of it.
    I much prefer gas for heating and cooking.

The idea of burning gas to boil water to create steam, to spin a turbine, to make electricity, to sell to someone who wants to boil water to make steam.........

I just prefer my own fire.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I've been peddling electricity for way over 30 years.
    I've made a fine living off of it.
    I much prefer gas for heating and cooking.

The idea of burning gas to boil water to create steam, to spin a turbine, to make electricity, to sell to someone who wants to boil water to make steam.........

I just prefer my own fire.
    Induction is like gas only better, MUCH better, you try it you will buy it. I have always loved gas for the control, but after I tried induction I replaced my gas unit with a Bosch Induction. Check it out...

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Favorite thing to cook in mine is... Chop sweet onion slices and sliced shrooms. Throw skillet on smoker. Add oil. Add onion cook a bit... then add the shrooms. Add whatsthishere sauce, french salad dressing, thin drizzle of honey, salt and pepper and let all that caramelize. Then on top a phat rib-eye... or steak of choice.... or grilled chicken. Damnit... is it lunch time yet

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Totally ruined it.
    Not really. You can always completely scrub it down to bright, shiny metal and start all over. That's one of the things I love about cast iron. No matter how badly it's been abused, even if it's pretty badly rusted, you can use abrasives or even a sand blaster to get down to the bare metal and then apply heat and oil to start over. It's a time-consuming PITA to try to recreate the carbon buildup that took grandma 40 years to put on her pans but it's possible to get even a badly abused pan back into usable, if far from perfect, shape in short order.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Not really. You can always completely scrub it down to bright, shiny metal and start all over. That's one of the things I love about cast iron. No matter how badly it's been abused, even if it's pretty badly rusted, you can use abrasives or even a sand blaster to get down to the bare metal and then apply heat and oil to start over. ....

On cast iron, soaking in 50% solution of white vinegar/water, long enough to remove rust is easy to do. Overnight will usually take it down to the bare metal. Follow up with one of the stainless scrapper pads mentioned earlier in this thread.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    If you have a self cleaning oven put in there and run it through a long cleaning cycle. That will ready it for seasoning again.

NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    What was left of short ribs from this past weekend.

41031409122_1650d84609_b.jpg

Top Bottom