• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Been contemplating casting for a while now and my interest got more piqued when I found out that people are casting powder coated hollow points for 300 BLK that are devastating on medium game.

Well now I'm sold after a big find today. Was able to get 5lbs for free at an NTB recently but today found another small time shop that had a pretty considerable horde of lead tucked away (considering the decreasing use of it). Overfilled 5 gallon bucket, weighing at 160 lbs even for only $40. Thankfully they split it into 2 buckets to facilitate moving it.

So far after dumping one bucket back into the other it seems like I have at least 95% that are almost obviously lead weights, granted only sorting will tell for sure. Should yield at least 145+ lbs of ingots I'm hoping which according to my math is about 4500 230gr bullets (heaviest I plan to cast) at less than a penny a pop after powder coating. Its mostly larger truck weights so I'm guessing I wont have to slag off to much weight in clips. Should last me a good long while especially if I start messing around with lighter super sonic stuff.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Might have to look in to this as I beef up my reloading. The thought of it is a little intimidating for some reason, seems like a whole nother world in the reloading game.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Might have to look in to this as I beef up my reloading. The thought of it is a little intimidating for some reason, seems like a whole nother world in the reloading game.

Ya I'm already sufficiently intimidated....but thankfully I'm more curious and have allot of free time to kill usually.

It is definitely inner circle of reloading hell, and I'm going straight to the center of that with powder coating lol.

Booyah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    How much weight on average would you say you loose with slagging off the steel clips?

I came into some free wheel weights some time ago. Two five gallon buckets, approximately 3/4 full each. Buckets and all weighed in at 200lbs. After all was said and done, melted off steel clips and discarding zinc weights etc. I ended up with 135lbs of ingots.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Steel clips don't weight a whole lot.

Some folks like to sort their wheel-weights by hand, using side-cutters to check whether a weight is lead or zinc (lead is easy to mark, zinc isn't).

Personally I don't bother - zinc melts at a higher temp (around 780 F) than lead (620 F), so if you smelt them carefully the zinc ones stay solid and just float on top of the lead. Ideally you want to do this using a casting thermometer, but it can be done if you watch the lead weights melt and level the temp off there.

14t4rc8.jpg

Last edited:

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Found a few manufactures for molds to make some bullets that usually run .50-$1 each on the cheap end, really making me reconsider.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    you will loose more weight than you think to clips and slag.
    It would also be good to flux your melt pot after you get all of the clips and zinc weights out that might miss the sorting process.

like was mentioned above, I use a laser thermometer to make sure not to get hot enough to accidently melt the zinc, .. you don't want that.

old muffin pans make good moulds and fit nice into my Lee pot as well

Top Bottom