• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Last weekend, I was at a shooting range/gun store and a young fellow came in with a gun case saying he wanted to sell a rifle. They open the case and there sits a beautiful Model 70 - Monte Carlo stock, 270 cal., in great shape. Why do you want to sell it? Turns out his grandfather gave it to him before he passed away, but the kid doesn't shoot and would just as soon have some cash as to have it "taking up room in my apartment".

I've seen this before, where a son or grandson inherited something nice but just doesn't give a crap about it. Folks, PLEASE, before you leave something to a loved one, make sure they actually want it! If not, sell it or give it away to someone who will appreciate it. Seeing the old man's rifle sold off just broke my heart and bothered me all week.

This weekend, at the same range, I asked about the rifle. It was sold the day after it was brought in, but the buyer hadn't picked it up yet. While waiting to check out, the clerk asked if I minded letting him take care of a customer that had been waiting awhile. This guy says, "I'm here to pick up my Winchester Model 70." Here was a young man, about the same age as the worthless grandson, and so I talked to him while they retrieved his rifle. He said he had an AR, but this was the first hunting rifle that would be his personally. He came in the week before and asked to look at used rifles he could afford, and "I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it." We talked a bit more. Great kid! He even said, "This looks like a rifle I could pass on to a son or daughter. I can't wait to get it out and shoot it." The universe had righted itself. The departed grandfather can rest now that someone who does appreciate the rifle now has it.
    Hurley's Gold

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Nice to see it went to someone that will cherish a fine piece of workmanship. Those older model 70s were nice.

When I was a kid we moved around a lot. Whenever we got to Lake Charles, Papaw would take us boys out to shoot in the swamps. My brother always got the semi auto. I got the little single shot. When I was 18 I stopped for a visit and asked about it. It was out in the shed in really bad shape. He was fixing to throw it away. Long story short, it is mine now and cleaned up. Still shoots great. One of my boys will get it when I go. My most treasured rifle. Feel kind of sorry for anyone that doesn't have those kind of memories and roots.

from an idjit coffeeholic

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have no idea who will get my mom's Nylon 66 or my grandfather's Model 12 Winchester.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    A couple of years ago I gave my nephew the LC Smith double barrel that had belonged to my dad. At the same time I gave my great nephew the Mossberg .410 that my mother gave me just before I turned 6. I know that both of these guns are in good hands.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Ben, I certainly hope you and Sister have someone you can trust them to. Your collection should be preserved and treasured by someone that cares as much for them as you.

Sent from my RCT6873W42 using Tapatalk

napalmsloth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2018
    Beaumont
    I have a safe full of guns that my dad left me when he died. Ther are a few that I really like. The rest, not so much. Of the 23 guns he left me, ther are only 5 or so that I like (and hunted with growing up,) they are the browning rifles from .22 up to 7mmRem Mag. The marlins and Eagle Arms (Sears) and others I have no interest in at all. I even have a commercial 8mm Mauser from 1942. It just doesn’t inspire me in any way. The thing that makes me sad is that I will not be able to leave the guns to my son. He is autistic and cannot legally own firearms. I take home to the range sometimes and let him shoot though. So they will go to my step-son and my step-son-in-law. Not will be left to my side of the family. It kinda bums me out.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Just reading that bothered me. The only firearm my grandfather owned was a bolt action 410 shotgun and I am next in line, behind my uncle who currently owns it, to receive it.

He lives in Kentucky and I make it a point to tell him everytime I see him that if he is thinking of getting rid of it, that I will personally drive my ass all the way to Louisville to get it

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Folks, PLEASE, before you leave something to a loved one, make sure they actually want it! If not, sell it or give it away to someone who will appreciate it.

So before I die, I need to make sure that every item I own is spoken for by will, or already disposed of to a given person? Not going to happen. A few things will be itemized to individuals, but otherwise, life is too short to deal with such minutia.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    About a month ago I gave my grandson a 20 year old AK-47 still in great shape! I don't think he's left the range with it yet! He put pictures all over facebook and every other social networking app he has showing off the rifle his PeePaw had given him! Never thought I could make a young man so happy but I did! Teared up a little on that one guys!! LOL!!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    So before I die, I need to make sure that every item I own is spoken for by will, or already disposed of to a given person? Not going to happen. A few things will be itemized to individuals, but otherwise, life is too short to deal with such minutia.
    Wow! I'll have to disagree with you on that one. I've found that the older I get the closer I get to my family. I want to make sure certain items (guns and otherwise) go to the people that want and deserve them.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    life is too short to deal with such
    I find as my life becomes much shorter I'm more concerned about these things. Over the last little while, I've been evaluating the projects laying around and accepting that I will not live long enough to finish them. I've let go of some nice (not shooting-related) equipment recently simply because my lack of heirs means I can get more use out of the money, now, than some distant cousin will get out of my (to them) junk after I'm dead.

Lots of people my age go through a cleaning-out phase. We know we're much closer to the end than the beginning and we want to get rid of useless stuff. It's the things that mean something to me that give me pause - my father's WWII discharge papers, my grandparents marriage certificate and wedding photo, the Nylon 66 that my mom regularly used to show me that she was a better shot than I'd ever be. Those are the sorts of things that I should determine beforehand where they will go.

As soon as I've disposed of all those projects I'm never going to finish and a bunch of other stuff, I'm going to have to turn my mind quite seriously to those questions.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I find as my life becomes much shorter I'm more concerned about these things. Over the last little while, I've been evaluating the projects laying around and accepting that I will not live long enough to finish them. I've let go of some nice (not shooting-related) equipment recently simply because my lack of heirs means I can get more use out of the money, now, than some distant cousin will get out of my (to them) junk after I'm dead.

Lots of people my age go through a cleaning-out phase. We know we're much closer to the end than the beginning and we want to get rid of useless stuff. It's the things that mean something to me that give me pause - my father's WWII discharge papers, my grandparents marriage certificate and wedding photo, the Nylon 66 that my mom regularly used to show me that she was a better shot than I'd ever be. Those are the sorts of things that I should determine beforehand where they will go.

As soon as I've disposed of all those projects I'm never going to finish and a bunch of other stuff, I'm going to have to turn my mind quite seriously to those questions.
    I understand completely. Selling things I've had for years and not used for years. Etc.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    This thread brings back good and bad memories. My dad didn't have a big gun collection, but what he did have was nice and not only were they fun to shoot, I remember just liking to hold them. He died when I was 16 and didn't have a will and no amount of pleading kept my evil stepmother from selling them, not only for the money, but I believe for the spite.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom