Join TexasGunTalk

Caution on passing on a firearm to your family

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Texasjack, Jul 1, 2018.

1. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Active Member

May 2, 2015
    If my wife dies before I do I will try and sell everything and spend every cent I have before I die. I don't want to leave anyone anything if I can help it. Let them work for theirs, I did. I spent nearly 50 some years working and saving so I could enjoy my last years. I am going to try if it kills me! If there is anything left they can have it.

2. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce Well-Known

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Went through this recently with my mother’s passing.

I’m proud of my brother and sisters for upholding my mother’s well-known wishes for how she wished her final days to be.

And, proud that my mother had the foresight to ensure her wishes for what she left behind would be carried out simply and correctly.

And even prouder that she shared those wishes openly with us each year, together, in a family meeting.

She was a depression-era baby, raised by farmers in east Texas because, “that’s where the soil was good”; military spouse, civil servant, God-fearing proud Texas woman.

We are lucky to have had her in our lives.

roadrunner, TxStetson and Southpaw like this.
  3. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The knowing is in that I could see who was an ass in my case. None of my relatives that passed were really wealthy, but you can see the greed come out in some, and that stuck with me.

diesel1959 and toddnjoyce like this.
  4. Frank59

Frank59 NO MA'AM!! TGT Supporter

May 14, 2018
    Houston
    Nate.JPG
    Gave my 20 year old shotgun to my youngest grandson this morning!! He was as happy as a tick on a dogs ass to get it!!

ed308, Texasgordo, Texasjack and 6 others like this.
  5. Texasgordo

Texasgordo TGT Addict

May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Do tell.....I just have to know even though I will regret asking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Southpaw likes this.
  6. Texasgordo

Texasgordo TGT Addict

May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Very cool shotgun. The look on his face is priceless.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce Well-Known

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Just to do business with the funeral home, for my mother’s recent passing with $5K. Then, it’s a la carte or packaged services that added another $7K and we went bare bones, had a discount for paying cash and for pre-arranging. She’s had the plot as long as I can remember, but if she didn’t, then you’re looking at another $5K or more. Average cost of a funeral and burial today is >$20K.

When my sister lost her step son, he was cremated. They were bare bones for the service and it was $5K and this was 7 years ago.

Knowing that, we’ve started to pre-plan our final arrangements (mid-40 yr olds) and provide explicit instructions as to what we want done with our remains.

Texasgordo likes this.
  8. robertc1024

robertc1024 Just the facts Ma'am. TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Yep. That's some bullshit right there. I told my wife to put me in the compost pile. At least I'd be doing something worthwhile.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  9. diesel1959

diesel1959 por vida Lifetime Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I have no relatives that are "gun people". If I had any guns (see boating accident), I'd be making arrangements for some of my gun-loving friends to inherit any guns that I, hypothetically, might have had.

ZX9RCAM likes this.
  10. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    You are coming to the meet right?:green:

ZX9RCAM, Southpaw and Dad_Roman like this.