• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    Do tell.....I just have to know even though I will regret asking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It was a gas station right next to a very old public cemetery in Dallas. Headstones dating back to the 1800's. We had to dig up the underground storage tanks that had leaked gasoline and install a groundwater remediation system. But not only was there gasoline in the groundwater, there was also tons of embalming fluids that had leaked out of caskets over the decades. The whole area was saturated with that stuff. It had an odor unlike anything else I know of. Until then, I had never considered a cemetery being a source of contamination. They are, and it's nasty,

So, I'm fine with being cremated. Ashes to ashes and all.
    Capitol Armory ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    A quick burial in a plain wood box without embalming or a vault would stop that but most families don't have the discipline to inter their dead expeditiously and, absent religious-preference-based pressure, most bureaucracies can throw up roadblocks.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The wife and I have already discussed cremation after all useful parts have been donated. I don't need them anymore so hopefully somebody else can use them.

Truthfully though that cremation will be like in the medieval movies. Build a boat, push me out into the water, and hit it with a flaming arrow.

Mrvmax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2018
    Friendswood
    Just to do business with the funeral home, for my mother’s recent passing with $5K. Then, it’s a la carte or packaged services that added another $7K and we went bare bones, had a discount for paying cash and for pre-arranging. She’s had the plot as long as I can remember, but if she didn’t, then you’re looking at another $5K or more. Average cost of a funeral and burial today is >$20K.

When my sister lost her step son, he was cremated. They were bare bones for the service and it was $5K and this was 7 years ago.

Knowing that, we’ve started to pre-plan our final arrangements (mid-40 yr olds) and provide explicit instructions as to what we want done with our remains.
    My moms cremation was about $1500 and we paid a local church $500 to use their facility for a service. Cremation costs vary by area, my step sisters cremation was $500.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Sometimes passing on a firearms works though. I was on the receiving end of a couple of shingle shot shotguns from my great grandfather (who I never met). My uncle had them and deemed me to be the one who would most appreciate having them.

These are late 1800's models. My favorite is from Massachusetts Arms Company. If you look at the names associated with that company, you'll likely recognize a few of them. Plus the thing is still in decent shape and fires well.

Not worth a lot of money, but sure does have sentimental value.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'm not waiting for the dirt nap before gifting my guns to the grandkids.
    Here's the youngest one (age 7) with the S&W Model 63 his big brother got for his 15th birthday:

86_DCDC58_C0_D4_437_F_881_F_07819_F0_C2426.jpg

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I just hope my wife sells my guns (yep, she'll out live me...I think, hope...) for a good price.

No one (other than me of course) in my family is into guns, so they'll be sold once I exit...

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    When my Grandfather passed only his Kentucky rifle was willed out. Over a dozen other firearms were left unspoken for. I made a point to tell my Aunt (who managed estate, etc) that I would like to keep 2-3 of his firearms if possible. Not only that, but I offered to BUY them in the estate auction so no one else would think I was getting something for nothing. I researched market prices, made a list, sent it over, etc. All months before the auction.

Long story short, because I live out of state, my Aunt was unwilling to sell or do anything with the firearms. She put them up for auction locally and they were all sold off. Gone. I basically got a, "Sorry, it's too much hassle".

I am glad the Kentucky rifle stayed in the family. I am still bitter about all of the revolvers, Henry rifles, and semi-autos that are now gone forever...

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Cremation. Friend of mine just died and requested this. Due to no family and no funds I took care of it. $650 for cremation and $80 for an urn and scheduled a military funeral at Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery and then in the columbarium there. My mother was interred there a few years ago and nice place. My wife and my plans are similar. Cheapest cremation and military funeral on site and Veterans cemetery. My father had a wake at the funeral home and that drove the costs up very, very high. No real need to waste money like that even after I die.

txbirddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    The memories from one grandpas Model 12 and the other’s Model 42 bring a smile even thinking about them. Just remembering the times afield hunting is a hobby that is not passed along much anymore. :(

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I should have one of those from my dad as well. Piece of shit brother got it confiscated one of the times he was arrested and never tried to get it back.

BTW, you dropped your latte cup...
    Only thing that goes in coffee is Bailey’s. Latte indeed.

Top Bottom