• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Lol, he didn't "almost die" by any accounts I had heard. He was also older than dirt and took a shot to the face, lmao.

That is a terrible example to use when promoting shotguns for defense.

Try a heart attack caused by some of the over 200 pellets lodged close to his heart and a collapsed lung. Granted he was old but I don't think that was as large of a factor.

Now factor in that this was caused with a 28 gauge. This is far from what most use in HD situations because of the lower velocity and lower density of shot in each round.
    Guns International

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Other than the man was 80years old, thin as hell, and the tons of speculation that the 30-40yrd distance is a flat out lie, you make an excellent point.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Other than the man was 80years old, thin as hell, and the tons of speculation that the 30-40yrd distance is a flat out lie, you make an excellent point.

Age and build have nothing to do with it if they are in good shape. As far as distance goes 30-40 is all that's ever been reported. A shotgun is far more effective inside of 40 yards than most think even with bird shot. At 15 yards 1 1/8 oz load of 7.5 shot will disintegrate a cotton tail.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol, age and build have everything to do with it.

An 80 year old, 130lb man in good shape will go down much easier than a 25 year old 230lb man.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I doubt that. "Good shape" is relative to age. You argument that an 80 year old man is equal to a 25-30 year old is ridiculous.

No offense to the elderly, it's just a fact of nature and aging.

And you were the one who included build in your argument when you said that age AND build were irrelevant. Both are relevant. Course you are using the ability to stop a rabbit as justification for SD also.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    You obviously don't know many active fully working old people.

The rabbit was turned into pieces the same distance and species with a 45 (considered a SD round) is far less destructive.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Obviously, I don't. Only my grandfather who continued riding his Goldwing around the country to the age of 87. As well as the neighbor who was tilling her own garden, hoeing it, and mowing her own yard at 82.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Riding a scooter and working in the garden is far from hard work. I'm talking actually work look into the farming and ranching community where labor is involved throughout the day not just a small part of it. I know plenty that are flat out hard to keep up with in their mid to late 70s.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wouldn't call a goldwing a "scooter", but OK.

Your house, your defense, it's what makes you comfortable.

This argument will go nowhere from here so I'll agree to disagree.

I look forward to another debate, maybe 9mm vs .45, lol.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Fair enough. For what it's worth scooter is what I call all motorcycles from mopeds to gold wings and everything in between.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Try a heart attack caused by some of the over 200 pellets lodged close to his heart and a collapsed lung. Granted he was old but I don't think that was as large of a factor.

Now factor in that this was caused with a 28 gauge. This is far from what most use in HD situations because of the lower velocity and lower density of shot in each round.

Just a heads up, his heart attack was 3 days later and he didn't even have chest pain. Hardly a timely fight stopper.

On February 14, 2006, at 0630 hours, Whittington suffered a minor heart attack and atrial fibrillation due to the shot pellets lodged in or near his heart

Hospital officials said Whittington was alert and stable[SUP][17][/SUP] and that he did not experience chest pain or other symptoms of a heart attack

Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Just a heads up, his heart attack was 3 days later and he didn't even have chest pain. Hardly a timely fight stopper.

On February 14, 2006, at 0630 hours, Whittington suffered a minor heart attack and atrial fibrillation due to the shot pellets lodged in or near his heart

Hospital officials said Whittington was alert and stable[SUP][17][/SUP] and that he did not experience chest pain or other symptoms of a heart attack

Maybe not but it was deserving enough for a care flight. I also believe the collapsed lung came somewhere around there. That is a fight stopper.

Also for others that believe that a shotgun won't take fight out should look into the Joe Horn shooting.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    I wasn't posting that to get involved in any debate or pointless argument, I just wanted you to be informed about the example you were providing.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I wasn't posting that to get involved in any debate or pointless argument, I just wanted you to be informed about the example you were providing.

I was informed what is your point? The man required direct medical attention and a care flight from a small shotgun at a good distance. He also directly suffered a heart attack and collapsed lung relating to the over 200 pellets lodged in him. Seems to be a very good example.

Top Bottom