• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I wonder whose idea it was to sneak in a provision that covers long guns, when the bill is about concealed carry of handguns.

If they had written "handgun" instead of "firearm" then it would have made more sense.

Smells really fishy.

Sadly, a lot of supposedly liberty loving "conservatives" are neo-con/libbies in conservative's clothing. A lot of them are not friendly to the "gun crowd" or other liberty-oriented folk, but they do just enough to look like they're on your side, so you'll continue to vote for them. Some bank on the R in front of their name, while being flagrantly opposed to most conservative/republican/libertarian values. They're RINOs of the first order. Its an amazing feat that the folks behind this bill pulled it off, especially given the way the last attempt to get Constitutional carry ended.

The "compromise" crowd gave in to the largely liberal batch of police chiefs, democrats, and those who don't know squat about firearms, or carrying firearms, or who blatantly lie to further a disarmament agenda. But at least the bill passed, and its easier to make tweaks to existing law, than it is to try to get something so "radical" as this passed.

This was a big step - now the focus can turn to fine tuning it to err on the side of liberty again. The restrictions on places you can carry here are frustrating, to say the least. There is no good reason to prohibit lawful carry on school properties, into bars or restaurants, or government meetings. These are not places that typically see shootouts and otherwise law abiding people just popping off. So that can be the battle in the next round.
    ARJ Defense ad

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Does anyone else here read the amended Section 30.05 as an increased restriction? The wording applies to all firearms, not just handguns. That means the law now provides a way to limit unlicensed carry of long guns where prohibited by the property owner. Unless there is some existing law that already covers unlicensed carry of long guns.

I caught that. I think you are correct. Also, I would predict that if an LTC holder open carries past a 30.05 sign there are going to be questions. Someone may even get in a sticky situation if an LEO doesn't know the law.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I caught that. I think you are correct. Also, I would predict that if an LTC holder open carries past a 30.05 sign there are going to be questions. Someone may even get in a sticky situation if an LEO doesn't know the law.

Yup. The change to TPC 30.05 states LTC is a defense to prosecution, not an exception. If you don’t understand the implications of that, then read TPC 2.03

Random Vato

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2021
    Austin
    I’m expecting for there to be few fellow LTC holders do that, because that may lead the property owner to not just post a 30.07 sign but also a 30.06 sign in addition to the 30.05 sign.

jbrig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    Houston
    Hey there so I'm curious if anyone knows when Constitutional Carry is signed into law by Abbott would CC in Texas be allowed by any US citizen or just Texas citizens? So if I had family visiting my here from out of state would they be able to take advantage of CC while visiting Texas?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Hey there so I'm curious if anyone knows when Constitutional Carry is signed into law by Abbott would CC in Texas be allowed by any US citizen or just Texas citizens? So if I had family visiting my here from out of state would they be able to take advantage of CC while visiting Texas?
    Couldn't find the rules for non residents under constitutional carry in Texas, but many states that are already constitutional carry are resident only. To be on the safe side, I would recommend they have a license that has reciprocity with Texas.

Much the same argument for those of us with an LTC to maintain theirs to be able to carry in other states.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Couldn't find the rules for non residents under constitutional carry in Texas, but many states that are already constitutional carry are resident only. To be on the safe side, I would recommend they have a license that has reciprocity with Texas.

Much the same argument for those of us with an LTC to maintain theirs to be able to carry in other states.

I'm working on getting you a factual answer, but I would think they'd be good to go - I know other states w/CC allow non-residents to carry under their law.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'm working on getting you a factual answer, but I would think they'd be good to go - I know other states w/CC allow non-residents to carry under their law.

The bill uses the term person, which is defined in TPC 1.07

But does not require residency for eligibility. Compare that the LTC verbiage in 411.172 clearly states a person is eligible if a legal resident of this state and .173 discusses non-resident.

Knowing the code is helpful, but in practice I expect a court case will be necessary for some to fully understand the law.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Bills sent to the Governor have 10 days to be signed, veto’d, or nothing done unless sent within the last ten days of the session, then the signing period is extended to 20 days.

If nothing is done within the 20 days, then on the 21st day, it is automatically law.

HB 1927 has yet to be signed by the Speaker and the President of the Senate, which is the next step. From there the bill leaves the legislature and is sent to the Governor.

Looking at TLO today, it looks like all the administrative steps necessary for the Speaker and President of the Senate have just been completed, so we should see movement to signing in the Legislature fairly quickly.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Okay - the law specifically says "persons" - so, there is NO residency requirement. As long as you can legally possess a firearm, you'll be GTG to carry in Texas where otherwise legal.
    I'm sure nobody has spent time in jail before finding out they haven't broken any law. I guess in most of Texas nothing could go wrong, but there are a few blue areas that are sketchy.

jbrig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    Houston
    The bill uses the term person, which is defined in TPC 1.07

But does not require residency for eligibility. Compare that the LTC verbiage in 411.172 clearly states a person is eligible if a legal resident of this state and .173 discusses non-resident.

Knowing the code is helpful, but in practice I expect a court case will be necessary for some to fully understand the law.

Awesome thanks for pointing this out toddnjoyce.

Okay - the law specifically says "persons" - so, there is NO residency requirement. As long as you can legally possess a firearm, you'll be GTG to carry in Texas where otherwise legal.

Thanks TexasRedneck, it looks like non-residents will be covered under the law when HB 1927 becomes law.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I thought certain misdemeanor convictions precluded carry under this law but not possession?
    It does. In addition to the TPC 46.04 unlawful possession misdemeanors, TPC 22.05 (Deadly Conduct), 22.07 (Terroristic Threat), 42.01 (Disorderly Conduct - with firearm) are prohibited from constitutional carry for a period of five years after the offense was committed. See page 17 of the bill.

--------------------------
    HB 1927 was enrolled at 9p last night. Hopefully the Speaker and President of the Senate sign it today.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom