• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    HB1927 allows anyone who is not a prohibited person at the state or federal level to carry a handgun openly or concealed anywhere one can with an LTC. It doesn’t do anything to the existing LTC system, that still stays in place.
    Does anyone include any US citizen or just Texas residents?
    ARJ Defense ad

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Does anyone include any US citizen or just Texas residents?

The bill states:

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
    SECTION 1. This Act shall be known as the Firearm Carry Act of 2021.
    SECTION 2. The Legislature of the State of Texas finds that:
    (1) The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution protects an individual right to keep and bear arms, and to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home;
    (2) Section 23, Article I, of the Texas Constitution secures for Texas citizens the right to keep and bear arms;
    (3) persons who are currently prohibited from possessing firearms under state and federal law will not gain the. right to possess or carry a firearm under this legislation; and....

I believe that means it applies only to residents of the state of Texas, but I’m not 100% certain.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    HB1927 allows anyone who is not a prohibited person at the state or federal level to carry a handgun openly or concealed anywhere one can with an LTC. It doesn’t do anything to the existing LTC system, that still stays in place.

So if it finally passes and signed by Abbot, what would the LTC be good for, except for places like 7-11, etc., that posts signs on the door saying an unlicensed person can't enter. I'm hoping the LTC would still give the same expedited purchase of a firearm. There has to be some advantage in having the license I would think.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    So if it finally passes and signed by Abbot, what would the LTC be good for, except for places like 7-11, etc., that posts signs on the door saying an unlicensed person can't enter. I'm hoping the LTC would still give the same expedited purchase of a firearm. There has to be some advantage in having the license I would think.

NICS bypass, 2nd ID, most importantly - reciprocity w/other states when traveling.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    There'd be some reasons to keep your LTC, or get one. But I'm betting LTC class enrollment drops 90%. Here's hoping people seek out instruction if they need it.

I think I'll cancel my LTC Instructor class/qualification.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    There'd be some reasons to keep your LTC, or get one. But I'm betting LTC class enrollment drops 90%. Here's hoping people seek out instruction if they need it.

I wouldn't cancel. I got my LTC recently and would do it again and so would my wife. You should at least check the other states that have their version of our pending carry bill, see if they still have a license as well as their open carry. Surely there is a difference . As an instructor you guys are very valuable.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

In AZ several instructors teamed up with FFL holders to offer free basic intro to firearms training for first time gun owners. A simple 15 or 20 minutes of gun safety and manual of arms instructions. Basically handing out samples along with business cards and discounts to their other offerings, including ccw classes.

The ones who became flexible and sold themselves did well.

The ones who came out against CC were blackballed and went out of business.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The ones who became flexible and sold themselves did well.

The ones who came out against CC were blackballed and went out of business.
    LTC instructors who come out against CC might be like the people who used to sell block Ice coming out against refrigerators and typewriter repairmen com out out against word processors.
    It is change and people who adapt to change survive and do well..

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    LTC instructors who come out against CC might be like the people who used to sell block Ice coming out against refrigerators and typewriter repairmen com out out against word processors.
    It is change and people who adapt to change survive and do well..
    About the only place that kind of opposition still works is bootleggers and preachers teaming up to keep dry counties from going wet. Saw that in Alabama, hilarious.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I wouldn't cancel. I got my LTC recently and would do it again and so would my wife. You should at least check the other states that have their version of our pending carry bill, see if they still have a license as well as their open carry. Surely there is a difference . As an instructor you guys are very valuable.

There's a lot of instructors. It's not hard to find one. Maybe my estimate is off but it still seems like a no-growth endeavour at best.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX

O.K. it worked for Arizona. According to this it didn't happen that way for Kansas:

There's a bunch of other states that have this. I wonder how it worked out for them. I also wonder if the authors of the press release cherry-picked Arizona because it fit the narrative.

There may be some features of the Arizona permit that make it more desirable to residents. I see you can't carry in Arizona into any establishment that serves alcohol without a permit. Period. They don't have the "51%" rule Texas has.

I'll see if I can find info on other states. Not that it really matters. It'll work out like it'll work out.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    There's a lot of instructors. It's not hard to find one. Maybe my estimate is off but it still seems like a no-growth endeavour at best.

You’re calculus is off. LTC is a one-and-done customer already if all you offer is the LTC. I haven’t done a market analysis, but my guess is that *most* LTC instructors can’t generate a profit on LTC classes alone.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    O.K. it worked for Arizona. According to this it didn't happen that way for Kansas:

There's a bunch of other states that have this. I wonder how it worked out for them. I also wonder if the authors of the press release cherry-picked Arizona because it fit the narrative.

There may be some features of the Arizona permit that make it more desirable to residents. I see you can't carry in Arizona into any establishment that serves alcohol without a permit. Period. They don't have the "51%" rule Texas has.

I'll see if I can find info on other states. Not that it really matters. It'll work out like it'll work out.
    I think a lot of it will depend on interstate travel. I would venture a guess that a LOT more Texans and Arizonans travel than I would suspect Kansans would.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    You’re calculus is off. LTC is a one-and-done customer already if all you offer is the LTC. I haven’t done a market analysis, but my guess is that *most* LTC instructors can’t generate a profit on LTC classes alone.

The ones I know generate a profit but most of them don't exactly make a full time living at it. After paying for insurance, range time, classroom it's tough to make a whole lot. I was thinking that along with other instruction it might be ammo money.

Top Bottom