• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    You’re calculus is off. LTC is a one-and-done customer already if all you offer is the LTC. I haven’t done a market analysis, but my guess is that *most* LTC instructors can’t generate a profit on LTC classes alone.
    You are 100% right about having some diversity in what you offer.

My father in-law is an instructor and dealer. He is retired, and does this for fun, but the money he makes from carry classes is probably enough to buy a week's worth of lunches when compared to what he makes selling guns/ammo/parts. The way he tells it is even if the classes go away completely you can get them in the door with a refresher class or even a fun day shoot with guns they don't have. And maybe because they've never had the thrill of shooting something exotic or even run of the mill they will purchase a new gun and some ammo. It's can be a win/win for everyone. If you give up the instructor license you are basically limiting yourself.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I think the poison pill may be making the DPS create an online gun safety course and give it away. They are a revenue producing department and expect to be paid for anything they do.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    And I just renewed
    I renewed about a year ago, so that means I still have over 4 years before it expires, but I believe even if constitutional carry is enacted, I will still continue to renew. It's the convenience factor that I enjoy. That being said, I'm still excited that Texas finally may become a CC state. I'm also disappointed 20 other states were before Texas.

fourx4forfun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Kopperl, TX
    HB1927 allows anyone who is not a prohibited person at the state or federal level to carry a handgun openly or concealed anywhere one can with an LTC. It doesn’t do anything to the existing LTC system, that still stays in place.
    so am guessing the only better thing with being CHL would be that could carry out of state to states that have reciprocity agreements with Texas, right?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    so am guessing the only better thing with being CHL would be that could carry out of state to states that have reciprocity agreements with Texas, right?

Good discussion here.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    House and Senate both appointed Conference committee members.
    1fa6a725690e26272696d137dc44a883.jpg

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Keep the pressure on guys.
    Please let the committee know that we want this passed, this session.
    We can massage the kinks out in a couple of years.
    Especially let mailto:Matt.Schaefer@house.texas.gov
    know that we've fought too hard to walk away empty handed.

(Some rumblings that the author may kill it if it's not perfect)

And above all, don't get ugly, stupid or threatening.
    Remember where TOC got us last time?

Thanks!

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    funny thing about law enforcement they can stand one buy a road with a radar and five or six more in cars short distance away to write speeding tickets but they want to Take criminal reports over the phone
    Over the phone or in person doesn't change what already happened. A day old BOV, minor crashes and other crimes where there is no evidence to collect doesn't need a officer to actually show up so having a light-duty officer take a report over the phone is a good use of limited resources. "My room-mate called me a mean name last night when he was drunk" doesn't deserve a police response, at least not in person.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Over the phone or in person doesn't change what already happened. A day old BOV, minor crashes and other crimes where there is no evidence to collect doesn't need a officer to actually show up so having a light-duty officer take a report over the phone is a good use of limited resources. "My room-mate called me a mean name last night when he was drunk" doesn't deserve a police response, at least not in person.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

If you look at the number of officers on duty, in ratio to the citizens of an area they cover, it's just not feasible to send an officer on every call they take. It's just not realistic. I would assume they have some way they prioritize the importance of calls taken, and got by the most important in some sort of order.

I would assume, that there are calls that slip through the cracks because of such, but it's just how things are. LE can't be everywhere at once. People also need to assume some responsibility for their own safety.

Zazonkers

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2021
    Fort Worth
    There'd be some reasons to keep your LTC, or get one. But I'm betting LTC class enrollment drops 90%. Here's hoping people seek out instruction if they need it.

I think I'll cancel my LTC Instructor class/qualification.
    Agreed here.... when I did LTC, there were folks in the class that I would’ve made do remedial shooting training. Their practical sucked. Please train and be proficient for all our safety!

Top Bottom