Join TexasGunTalk

CCW Safe Vs Texas Law Shield?

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by Booyah, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Booyah

Booyah Active Member

May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    I have searched but did not find any discussions regarding this particular service: CCW Safe. I am currently a member of Texas Law Shield and I have seen various discussion regarding that service on this and other forums. I am not particularly interested in a discussion of the merits of this type of service in general, I am looking for some perspective (outside of my own) on the pros v cons of the CCW safe service compared to other services (TLS specifically). I have started researching, reading their marketing info and their terms of service, and I am starting to develop my own opinion but would appreciate hearing what others think.

2. jamesbtowle

jamesbtowle New Member TGT Supporter

Oct 16, 2011
    Kingwood
    OK 1st....your buying Insurance against the day you may make the wrong decision. It has been my experience that if you are not sure if you should "Draw or Retreat".....retreat and become the best witness LE has when they arrive. You are not LE therefore you are not duty bound to act in the name of the Law. If you are out in the public arena and your life is suddenly in danger or your family...react accordingly. Do not initiate the gunfight unless your life or another's is in danger and Do not pursue the criminal if he is leaving the scene. #2. Since none of these Gun Insurance companies will come on camera and discuss the details of the policy....I'm not interested. This may not be the answer your seeking sir...but it's the best answer I have to your question. Good Luck..Be Safe, Be Trained..Be Alert.

3. Booyah

Booyah Active Member

May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    That is not at all correct.

Actually you did not attempt to answer my question...but I do appreciate the opinion you offered. Thank you.

4. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A completely justified shoot that saves you from certain death could still cost tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees.

It has nothing to do with making a "wrong" decision.

5. Leper

Leper Active Member

Sep 28, 2008
    I guess James didn't read the part about not wanting to discuss the merit if this type of service. I am a tls member, I will look into ccw safe.

6. Booyah

Booyah Active Member

May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    Please do let me know what you think. My over all impression so far is positive...same basic service maybe a bit cheaper and wider coverage geographically...but then I put on my paranoid lawyer thinking cap and try to find 'the catch'. I'm interested in what others think.

7. Robb in Austin

Robb in Austin Active Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    In reading the CCW Safe site, I see that they state(under the single membership area):

"By remitting membership payment, buyer is purchasing the rights to services for representation of one person in any legal matter stemming from a use of force incident pursuant to a duly licensed in good standing concealed carry weapon permit for one year from the date of this acknowledgement. "

and then

"Recognized use of force incidents include both civil, criminal and administrative actions taken by a STATE, LOCAL OR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OR REGULATORY AGENCY which administers a state’s concealed carry permit system"(emphasis mine)

This sounds like legal mumbo jumbo to say they will NOT protect you from private lawyers suing on behalf of who ever you shot. But maybe I'm reading this wrong.

That said, I liked the CCW site better and then I looked at the TLS site and noticed it has changed since the last time I looked. There is a ton more info on the TLS site than there was 8 months ago. The thing that would push me more towards TLS, and I don't currently use their services, is being Texas based.

8. Booyah

Booyah Active Member

May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    Thanks Rob...that is a good point and exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I intend to put together a list of questions to ask when I call them to inquire more.

Something I noticed was their use, more than once, of the phrase "critical self defense incident". This makes me wonder if, even though various state laws may allow use of force for defense of property, that they will not represent such a case...only self-defense?

I also agree that the firm being based out of state gives me pause as well. The thing that is keeping my interest though is that they do have a presence in Texas...one of their lawyers is based out of Dallas.

9. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Full of fail

10. CitizenSeven

CitizenSeven Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Dallas
    Perhaps I'm misreading it, but I interpret what the OP quoted was that:

Recognized use of force incidents include both

1. civil
    2. criminal and administrative actions taken by a STATE, LOCAL OR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OR REGULATORY AGENCY which administers a state’s concealed carry permit system

So, that would mean civil (what another person would bring against you) or just about anything a government entity would.

TLS claims to have a vast network of lawyers, but they wouldn't give me a list when I was a member and asked. That did not sit well with me, but YMMV. If one of the principles for CCW is based out of Dallas, and you live in Dallas, that bodes better as presumably you'd have more (but not guaranteed) of a chance of getting one of the names if you had need. Although, who knows, they might have a dubious stable based in Dallas and you'd wind up hiring your own anyway. As always, read the actual contract and what you can get/find in writing at third party sources, and not anecdotes at gun shows/CHL classes/message boards that begin "I knew a guy...".