• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Seems there are rumors on the internets saying Century Arms (AK variants) are mostly garbage, poor build quality, bad surface finishes, random little problems that aren't easily remedied. I kinda want to buy an AK (probably from Cabellas) in one of the plain old-fashioned style wood models. Anyone have a CA AK? any actual first hand experience with these?
    Guns International

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Century imports use to be trash but are surprisingly better. Stay away from any American built Century guns: RAS47, C39, C39V2, Centurion etc.

There are mountains of information on why these guns are complete trash. Reference AKOU AK operators union on the youtube for more information.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-nZ9dKQroaCr2MuAXeqyg
    You may also want to check out the ak files. It is a forum with a ton of knowledge on all AKs:
    http://www.akfiles.com/forums/

Now if it is an NPAP or WASR (imported by Century), check them for canted sights, other than that, they are good to go. I would take a WASR over the newer NPAPs though. WASR's last for a long long time

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Whats wrong with the RAS47, C39, and Centurion stuff? I know you linked a veritable library of information, but I don't really want to research for tens of hours only to find out they're minor problems that I don't care about; The youtube channel seems to put their 3500 round C39V2 test at a "good" rating but needing a new bolt. What gives?

The NPAP Looks nearly identical but costs $30-50 more, assuming extra for import fees?

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    The metal used on the American rifles is trash. They use cast trunnions:
    http://www.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/2015/10/ak-cast-trunnion-fail-on-ras47-boom/
    Higher res photos here:
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/L...n_failures_are_starting_to_show___/64-160194/

As for the C39V2, the wear showing after 3500 rounds is garbage. An AK bolt should last way longer than that amount. It is all about the quality of the metal. Century builds cut corners where as the importers have had the machinery/tooling for making AKs for a long time.

Ultimately it is up to you but if you are going to seriously use the rifle, I wouldn't buy one. If you are just buying it to have fun then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. But if you are going to spend that amount of money, why not get a WASR with tremendous resale and higher quality parts?

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    M70ab2 is the only good underfolder from century
    11743kh.jpg

Reactions: MTA

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Whats wrong with the RAS47, C39, and Centurion stuff? I know you linked a veritable library of information, but I don't really want to research for tens of hours only to find out they're minor problems that I don't care about; The youtube channel seems to put their 3500 round C39V2 test at a "good" rating but needing a new bolt. What gives?

The NPAP Looks nearly identical but costs $30-50 more, assuming extra for import fees?
    Weak parts mostly along with poor assembly. Century is known for having bad quality builds. They have got better somewhat on their import rifles, but their "house brand" rifles have been known to be way out of spec. I have seen them out of time on head spacing, weak trunnions cracking as well as recievers. America can make some fine guns, but currently an AK is not one of them. I would suggest a WASR 10 also.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have a C39v1 and while it's a great shooter, it's already showing unusual signs of wear in places that don't fare well for its longevity.

The RAS-47s have had very poor reviews and you should steer clear of them. I don't put much faith in the C39s either. They look good, but upon further inspection after some use most will show headspace problems that could have catastrophic results.

If you insist on getting one, I would strongly recommend investing in go/no go and/or field gauges to check the headspace on a regular basis.

The M70AB2 was a Century-contracted build rifle that has an excellent reputation over the years. I have one and it's a tank. They aren't easy to find, but if you aren't in a rush you can usually find them for about the same price as a C-39/RAS-47. Definitely the better choice!

The OPAPs were good rifles, the NPAPs were initially thought to be just as good but later some proved to be problematic.

The Romak "paratroopers" are a new addition to the Kalashnikov market and are yet unproven. How they got their name is confusing, as there is nothing about them that connects them to airborne operations. They are interesting, but I would wait to see how well they hold up before investing in one.

Otherwise, look for a current production WASR-10. Several online vendors offer them, and they are probably the best entry-level AK around these days...

Cheers! M2

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I have a couple of CAI AK's, a WASR....and it has been rock solid...and a milled 63D underfolder which has been a decent rifle thus far.....

dtownmj

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Houston, TX
    mostly everything above is correct. Stay away from century BUILDS (RAS47, c39, etc) as they use cast parts

MOST (not all) of the imported stuff is ok - WASR10, OPAP, Paratrooper.

if you go to cabelas, prepare to be price gouged. From what ive seen they have the US made garbage Cent Arm rifles (RAS47 c39 etc) and NPAPS and the occasional wasr

the best entry level AK you get right now is a wasr 10. since 2014 they have dramatically improved their QC

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Seems there are rumors on the internets saying Century Arms (AK variants) are mostly garbage, poor build quality, bad surface finishes, random little problems that aren't easily remedied. I kinda want to buy an AK (probably from Cabellas) in one of the plain old-fashioned style wood models. Anyone have a CA AK? any actual first hand experience with these?

Century stuff is hit or miss. I had a VZ2008 and it was awesome. Had a canted front sight post when I got it new. They paid to return it and fixed the front sight. Then I got a C39V2. Front sight again canted and they again paid to get it back a fix it. Ended up selling it and getting a Palmetto State Armory PSAK47, which is much better quality and value.

Have a buddy in my unit that has a Century AK and it would have malfunctions all the time. Century would not cover it due to age. Took to a gunsmith and it is now running $150 later.

With the Palmetto State PSAK47 proving to be quality and backed by a lifetime warranty, I will never get another Century period.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Pretty much what I thought I knew already. Nice to actually have some people with more knowledge on the subject verify it. Thanks for the info. y'all.

Top Bottom