• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Hey All,

My 1997 Tahoe seems to be losing coolant. Haven't done any diagnosing yet but I'm betting it's an intake gasket or a head gasket.

Can anyone recommend a good, certified mechanic. I'm in NW San Antonio and would prefer someone nearby but I'm flexible. Mostly I want someone that does quality work.

Any feedback appreciated.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    I aleays go to Ivan at Full Service Master Car Care off Patricia and West ave. ASE certified, and is a great guy to deal with. Doesnt buy the cheapest parts, so he costs a bit more then your average shop, but hes done right by me time and time again. Let him know Donnie sent you, if you end up dropping by.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I think we went through this a little while back, but my phone won't let me dig past the first page.

Call Bruce at Jackie's Auto Clinic. He's the owner. I've used him and referred people his way for over a decade. Honest, reliable, and $85 per labor hour, if I remember right. The dealer wanted almost $120 per.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Vortec? Probably intake manifold gasket or the stupid quick-connect heater hose connections. But it could be your water pump or radiator. Grab a flash light and check along the seams of the radiator for signs of a leak, then check under the water pump, then look along the front/top of the engine where the intake meets the heads and block, and look for trails.

Once you get the leak fixed, flushing the cooling system and running old-school green coolant (remember to change it every year or two) is a good idea in my experience. The intake manifold gasket design on those trucks was bad (Fel Pro has a better one now), but I've seen a lot of chronic leakers fixed by stepping away from the orange drink and using real coolant. FWIW, if you run Dex Cool in a Ford of that vintage, head gasket failure can result.

"Certified?" Not aware that such a thing actually exists. Not that means a damn thing, anyway (to be honest, ASE is a joke).

Oh, and... Hi. :p

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    I was thinking GM ASEP certified but ASE works too. Of all the mechanics I know the good ones took the time to get ASE. The cert itself isn't worth anything but the fact that they took the time tells me they take their profession seriously.

The reason I'm thinking maybe head gasket is that I am also down on oil.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    I think we went through this a little while back, but my phone won't let me dig past the first page.

Call Bruce at Jackie's Auto Clinic. He's the owner. I've used him and referred people his way for over a decade. Honest, reliable, and $85 per labor hour, if I remember right. The dealer wanted almost $120 per.

I am always referred to him as well, got buddies that swear by him, just further away then my guy from me. Wouldnt hesitate to go to him if i get the chance though!

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I am always referred to him as well, got buddies that swear by him, just further away then my guy from me. Wouldnt hesitate to go to him if i get the chance though!

Here's my favorite part about Bruce at Jackie's Auto: I'm a DIY kind of person. If I have the time and the tools, I'd rather do the job myself. It's just fun for me. Bruce knows that, and when I call him he is great about saying "Buy your parts from so-and-so and get this-or-that tool from AutoZone for a free rental. Call me if you run in to trouble."

I don't know very many mechanics who are like that.

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Looks like the oil being down was a red herring.

Classic symptoms of intake gasket leak on the drivers side. Now to decide if it's worth it to pay someone else to fix it.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
    silencers
    DK Firearms
    Tyrant Designs
    Every Day Man
    Shroud
    Shroud
    Weapon displays
    Ammo
    Defender Tactical