Cfe223

Vaquero

San Saba Songbird
Apr 4, 2011
Out West
I'm sitting here with a can of CFE223 in front of me. I've been hunting for it since January and finally scored a lb.
Readin Hogdon data and lurking in some other forums has me perplexed.
Some like it, some hate it, some say it's a win748 copy. ( possible, not likely)
.308 shooters are blowing primers with mid range loads.

Anyone here have any experience using CFE223?

If not, I'm the guinea pig and will let y'all know what I experience.

Since TXARGUY apparently got the last can of Varget in Abilene.:50cal:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jan 3, 2010
Occupied Texas
I've used it and it's good stuff.

As for it being super clean - well, it has about the same amount of carbon residue as any other powder.

I've experimented will all sorts of powders in the .223 and the two that give me the overall best performance are CFE-223 and Varget. Consistent, clean, excellent velocity - hard to beat.

I don't meter my rifle powders, but I could see where CFE would be very good for that. I just bought another can of the stuff at the gun show today and my neighbor and I were talking with a vendor that was pushing his own reloads (as well as other stuff). My neighbor asked him about CFE and the vendor said that he didn't use it in the reloads he sold because he had to keep his prices cheap to compete with other vendors, but "its the stuff I use on all of my OWN reloads. I love the stuff!"

Charlie

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Kerr County
We will need a report after you shoot them. I found Varget and have not changed or even experimented with anything else. I'd like to hear about your results.

Vaquero

San Saba Songbird
Apr 4, 2011
Out West
1st step.
Case charging.

This stuff is a very small spherical type powder.
It meters extremely consistent out of my RCBS Uniflow.
Every test charge I pulled to weigh was dead on. Full hopper, 1/2 hopper, near empty hopper. No change.

More after a range trip.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
Dec 28, 2012
Cedar Park
Please keep us informed on how this stuff works out for you. I picked up a lb of it 2 weeks ago at a LGS after reading many people on various forums espousing it for match grade loads. Still putting together all my stuff to reload for 223 but it would be nice to have some load numbers soon.

Top Bottom