• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Any update? Im picking up 2 pounds today and am going to load it up under some 77gr nosler CCs and 50gr vmax. Trying to get away from using extruded powders(varget) with the little case mouths so I can load on the dillon.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Well, they all fired and functioned flawlessly.
    I had a bunch of guests at the range, so accuracy and velocity testing will have to wait.
    The rifle is still not cleaned, maybe today.

We did run about 200 rounds. Mixture of reloads and factory ammo. I hope it cleans up easier.

More later.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Im heading to the range in the AM to try out this CFE stuff. Running 5 shot groups from 24-27gr in .2 increments. This will be under 77gr Nosler CCs in LC brass seated to 2.25. With the wide range Im hoping to find a low node and a high node out my 20" WOA. The hornady book lists 26.5 as max for 5.56 pressure and 24.3 for 223 pressure. I really hope this stuff shoots well, after loading up my "go to" load of 23.8gr of varget and 77s on the rock chucker Id really like to have a heavy 223 load to load on the Dillon. After I find out if it likes this powder I may try seating them longer. Ive got a PRI mag that will allow up to ~2.305 COL which should allow me to run even more powder and be more accurate since itll have less of a jump but that's a couple of range trips away. Next week Im going to try the CFE in some 308 loads for 150gr SSTs and 150gr FMJs. May eventually try it under some 178 amaxs as well, sure would be nice to be able to load damn near everything I shoot on the Dillon.

Ill have the magnetospeed hooked up so Ill have chrono data as well.

Last edited:

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Well I should be able to hopefully try out some of my CFE next weekend. Got all the rest of the stuff needed for loading 223 coming between Tuesday and Thursday. I might just stick with my 4895 for now though and get some of the basics of rifle cartridges down before I start focusing on accuracy. Keep the data rolling in though, I'm waiting with bated breath.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Didn't get around to 223 shooting today. Was busy getting my ass kicked by the 300WM load development and 150 rounds of 308. Ill make it out earlier next Sunday to try out the CFE stuff. On the plus side Ill also be able to load up some CFE in 308 as well. I plan to use CFE for my 150gr SST hunting loads. Might load up some under some 178 amaxs as well but will depend on the time I have between now and then.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    One caution so far. If you're loadin on a progressive press and miss a primer but charge the case, you've got a mess.
    This powder is fine enough to dump the whole charge out through the flash hole.

No other issues so far.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    One caution so far. If you're loadin on a progressive press and miss a primer but charge the case, you've got a mess.
    This powder is fine enough to dump the whole charge out through the flash hole.

No other issues so far.

EVen stick powder like IMR4895 will do this too. My last 223 loading session I missed a primer and created a royal mess in my priming system on my Pro 1000 thanks to that mistake. Granted the whole case didn't empty out but it doesn't take much powder to gum up the works on almost any progressive press.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Initial load development looks promising, my SDs were cut in half over my varget loads but I haven't found the accuracy node yet for the 150 SSTs. Going to shoot the 77s Monday in the 223.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Hodgdon's 2014 reloading manual is out and the cover is advertising a new CFE Pistol powder. Seems that the military folks are liking this technology and so it's being expanded.

Of course, locally it's hard to find ANY useful powders in stock, so who knows when the new stuff will be seriously available.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Hodgdon's 2014 reloading manual is out and the cover is advertising a new CFE Pistol powder. Seems that the military folks are liking this technology and so it's being expanded.

Of course, locally it's hard to find ANY useful powders in stock, so who knows when the new stuff will be seriously available.

Cool. I'm gonna grab the 2014 next time out.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Well, I've run close to 600 rounds through my ar with cfe223.
    Another 300 or so with h322.
    I've stocked up on cfe223. I love it.
    The carbon fouling just wipes right off and the bore shows no sign of copper fouling at all.
    It runs a good deal cooler than h322 too.
    Accuracy is good with minimum listed charge. I haven't experimented with other charge weights because I'm satisfied with where it's at.

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    CFE PISTOL.jpg Vaquero, glad to hear you got good results from the CFE223, I got the CFE pistol powder next on my list to see how it shoots long range out of a stock Beretta 92FS and stock Glock, target @45 yds now and still shooting @ 6 inch plates.
    Best/joe

1098cya

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Kalifornya
    Finally got to try some. I realized that it is THE powder I have been looking for since getting into reloading in 09. Now if I can find more.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Update.
    Several pounds of CFE223 through my presses and ARs.
    Happy is an understatement.
    No copper fouling. Carbon fouling wipes off with a dry rag.
    Once load development is done, it's a "set it and forget it" deal.

odd note. Ive bought locally and out of town. About 10 lb total so far.
    I've seen 2 different lot numbers. Thats it.

I'll buy all I can find/afford.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    What was the best load (ie: bullet, amound of powder, primer and COAL) you got with CFE223?

Top Bottom