• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm sitting here with a can of CFE223 in front of me. I've been hunting for it since January and finally scored a lb.
    Readin Hogdon data and lurking in some other forums has me perplexed.
    Some like it, some hate it, some say it's a win748 copy. ( possible, not likely)
    .308 shooters are blowing primers with mid range loads.

Anyone here have any experience using CFE223?

If not, I'm the guinea pig and will let y'all know what I experience.

Since TXARGUY apparently got the last can of Varget in Abilene.:50cal:
    Lynx Defense

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've used it and it's good stuff.

As for it being super clean - well, it has about the same amount of carbon residue as any other powder.

I've experimented will all sorts of powders in the .223 and the two that give me the overall best performance are CFE-223 and Varget. Consistent, clean, excellent velocity - hard to beat.

I don't meter my rifle powders, but I could see where CFE would be very good for that. I just bought another can of the stuff at the gun show today and my neighbor and I were talking with a vendor that was pushing his own reloads (as well as other stuff). My neighbor asked him about CFE and the vendor said that he didn't use it in the reloads he sold because he had to keep his prices cheap to compete with other vendors, but "its the stuff I use on all of my OWN reloads. I love the stuff!"

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Thanks TJ.
    I guess today I'll load up a batch and sit on 'em till the weather breaks.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    1st step.
    Case charging.

This stuff is a very small spherical type powder.
    It meters extremely consistent out of my RCBS Uniflow.
    Every test charge I pulled to weigh was dead on. Full hopper, 1/2 hopper, near empty hopper. No change.

More after a range trip.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Please keep us informed on how this stuff works out for you. I picked up a lb of it 2 weeks ago at a LGS after reading many people on various forums espousing it for match grade loads. Still putting together all my stuff to reload for 223 but it would be nice to have some load numbers soon.

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    In my 24" stainless bull barrel Stag CFE is as accurate as Varget with 68 grain bullets. With 55 and 62 grain loads not so much but still acceptable.

jwiatrek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Austin TX/Karnes County TX
    I just loaded 2 different charges of CFE 223 with some 55gr FMJBT as a plinking / ranch round. I hope to run some over the chronograph this weekend as well as check accuracy and will provide an update when I have the data.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I just loaded 2 different charges of CFE 223 with some 55gr FMJBT as a plinking / ranch round. I hope to run some over the chronograph this weekend as well as check accuracy and will provide an update when I have the data.

Pm inbound.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    What bullet are you putting over it? The guys on m4c seem to like it pretty well. I believe Ill try it once I can find it again. Do you have a chrono?

jwiatrek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Austin TX/Karnes County TX
    Its a generic M193 style mil spec bullet that I got from hi-tech ammo (500 bullets for $55, M193 - 55gr. - FMJBT - New Manufacture, NOT pulled), and yes I have a ProChrono Digital ... not very expensive but works well. I had one of those fold up Chrony and it was junk...

FBOPMAN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    CFE-223 is my go to powder in the 22-250. I'm getting 1/2" groups at 100 yards with it. I would use Hodgdon's Reloading information and go for it if I were you.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Dayum! Can't find it anywhere around here for the life of me, and it sure looks like good powder on paper. Especially its copper cleaning properties.

AA2230 is lights out for 55-68 grain .224 boolits. Am running low on that now. None to be found either.

Top Bottom