• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duman44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Houston
    Anyone have any experiences with them? Neg or Pos. I was in there this afternoon (I'm out of Houston) and some of the prices on guns seem resonable and some were a bit high. Overheard the standard patter from the counter guys to a couple of TAMU students about whats best. Most of the counter guys looked like college kids. Looked like one of their more knowledgeable salespeople was a girl. Don't see that too often in a funshop. Never got back to the range.
    Hurley's Gold

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    You will not go wrong doing business with them! I have purchased several firearms from them over the past dozen years.
    Ask for Katie or Rodger when you go in there.
    DRJ

shaggydog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    College Station
    If you are an A&M student with daddy's credit card they will welcome you with open arms. They only really want to sell you what is in the display case and will definately steer you to the high $ stuff. Try to ask questions or discuss anything other than high $ products and they will quickly show you the door.

I called them one time and got the wife of the owner on the phone. I asked her if she had a minute to answer a couple of questions. She huffed and replied "well yeah, but if a REAL customer comes in I'll have to hang up on you".

That is their idea of service.

If you want real service from a very professional group of folks, try Burdett and Son Outdoor Adventure Shop. Located on S. Texas Ave across from TAMU.

woulf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bryan, TX
    +1 on Burdett's. Not as much of a selection on display, but they can get you what you want. They are also an excellent place to deal with FFL transfers from online purchases, etc.

The pistol range at Champions isn't bad, just plan on going with the "low light scenerio" mentality.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    The people who own Champion have a preference to hire A&M students. That's they thing. The owner, Mike, was a TAMU student.

I know some of them, as I go in there all the time. They are nice, and I have never felt pressured. I have been a customer of theirs since 1996.

They have managed to put almost all of their competition out of business - so their prices are not quite as cheap (plus, its been years and gun prices go up too). They used to be reidiculously cheap in the 1990s.

However, outside of a gunshow or buying online (which isn't always cheap because of the transfer fees) - they generally have great prices. On occasion - a certain gun may be prices too high.

Katy isn't always the nicest - but everyone else is very nice. And, I try to deal with Mike, the owner, if he is there.

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    I did my CHL there. I also had a yearly membership. Mike's anecdotes throughout the course are what you'd come to expect from a gun store owner.
    The staff are mainly young A&M students, and not very experienced.
    After moving to the US and deciding to get a handgun I went there for a basic handgun safety lesson (having never seen a gun other than on TV). I was shaking during the first few minutes and the young kid (whom I paid Champion Firearms $40 for the lesson) said "don't worry, we normally have a few beers before we go hunting to calm our nerves". I found a new instructor.
    I've bought a couple of guns and a rifle from them, two new and one used handgun and a rifle. I took one handgun back after the follower broke and Katy was a little abrasive. She failed to spot the problem (at the time I was a newbie and just knew the round would not load, but I found the problem whilst she test fired it. She claimed it was "just a difficult gun to control for a novice" - until I pointed out the follower was missing a large section. They offered NO HELP - I had to call the manufacturer myself, even though the gun was only 2 weeks old). It turned out the broken follower (and 4 subsequent broken followers) was a manufacturing problem, and they had an improved follower material used in later designs.

Overall - Typical of todays society. Crap service, yet convenient - but not so bad you wouldn't use them. Certainly nothing to rave about. In a nutshell "OK".

Duman44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Houston
    Made it to Burdett today. They are far ahead of Champion in my book, not a lot of inventory but nice people who knew what they were doing. Bought a Taurus Judge, they had one for 450 and I have not seen them that low in Houston for some time. Made it in and out of the store in 15 minutes. They were quick on the paperwork.

On the other hand, I had a 10:30 appointment at TAMU, so I got to Champion at 10:05. Hours posted were 10 am to xxPM, but door was locked and no cars in front. When I mentioned at Burdett's that I went to Champion first, the salesman said "we get a lot of customers that way"

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    If you are an A&M student with daddy's credit card they will welcome you with open arms. They only really want to sell you what is in the display case and will definately steer you to the high $ stuff. Try to ask questions or discuss anything other than high $ products and they will quickly show you the door.

I called them one time and got the wife of the owner on the phone. I asked her if she had a minute to answer a couple of questions. She huffed and replied "well yeah, but if a REAL customer comes in I'll have to hang up on you".

That is their idea of service.

If you want real service from a very professional group of folks, try Burdett and Son Outdoor Adventure Shop. Located on S. Texas Ave across from TAMU.

I've always been more than happy with Champion's service and the fact that their staff is generally better educated than most other places you go. They have an outstanding reputation for customer service and having competitive prices with a lot of people, myself included, that are avid firearms enthusiasts.

Burdett & Sons used to be good, and maybe they have changed in the last few years, but the last time I went in their shop they were about 20% higher than Champion on most items and the guys I talked with didn't seem to know squat about anything other than how to make the cash register ring.

As far as you comment about "if a REAL customer comes in...." - can't say I disagree with that. Few things in life piss me off more than when I'm in a store, cash in hand, and I'm ignored for a phone call with a customer that at best has a 50% chance of spending money when I'm standing there with a 100% chance of spending money.

Slotback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I have done business with both Champions and Burdett. Never had a problem at either one.

Brewgod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Been there, nice folks. Bought a DPMS TAC20 in .308, went to the range with my daughter,had a good time. I can call them, give them some numbers off the plastic and #1 daughter can go to the range. Rental gun, ammo, hearing and eye protection waiting on her when she gets there.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Both Burdett's and Champion have been around for years (Burdett far longer than Champion). Both are reputable vendors.

Champion used to do the gun show circuit. Not sure about nowadays. That may have given them an edge in pricing but Dave Burdett always had the accessories and gear that Champion never carried. (At least last time I was there.)

I always thought Mike and Katie were both very nice. They always tried to accommodate me with courtesy.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom