• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I came to Texas years ago with the understanding that expandable batons were illegal to carry and use in self defense. I specifically checked this out before moving here because I have always been a fan of batons as a good non-lethal defense weapon in addition to concealed carry. Sometimes, the nature of the assailant and the element of surprise means you can quickly dispatch or discourage an attacker with a baton providing you have the proper training.

I was reading a thread on the Calguns forum that showed the following video of a tourist in Hollywood being brutally attacked by a bunch of street thugs and thought to myself that, with his youth and determination, he could have probably laid those low life out with a baton. This led me to double check the Texas law where I learned that, as of September 2019, batons, clubs and a wide range of self defense weapons were legalized; something that I had not been aware of.

Anyway, now that I am no longer a spring chicken, any kind of effective physical response from this old guy is pretty much out of the question, but the .45 ACP response is still at the ready if needed. I will, however, now keep a expandable baton tucked in the door pouch of my truck since they are now legal and they can certainly come in handy in a pinch for man and canine defense.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Care to share some of mine? Ya want a Mnt. Dew or a Coke to go with your popcorn?

popcorn.jpeg

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    A knuckle duster and the knowledge of how to throw proper punches would be far more effective to ending a confrontation than an expandable baton.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I came to Texas years ago with the understanding that expandable batons were illegal to carry and use in self defense. I specifically checked this out before moving here because I have always been a fan of batons as a good non-lethal defense weapon in addition to concealed carry. Sometimes, the nature of the assailant and the element of surprise means you can quickly dispatch or discourage an attacker with a baton providing you have the proper training.

I was reading a thread on the Calguns forum that showed the following video of a tourist in Hollywood being brutally attacked by a bunch of street thugs and thought to myself that, with his youth and determination, he could have probably laid those low life out with a baton. This led me to double check the Texas law where I learned that, as of September 2019, batons, clubs and a wide range of self defense weapons were legalized; something that I had not been aware of.

Anyway, now that I am no longer a spring chicken, any kind of effective physical response from this old guy is pretty much out of the question, but the .45 ACP response is still at the ready if needed. I will, however, now keep a expandable baton tucked in the door pouch of my truck since they are now legal and they can certainly come in handy in a pinch for man and canine defense.

Gun is what the victim needed, knuckle duster might have made a difference. He got some good shots in, but with out the force multiplier of 8-10 ounces of metal encasing his knuckles they did not do any lasting damage.

If the first thug he hit and collapsed and was choking on broken teeth and mewling like a poorly clubbed harp seal it may have caused the others to back off.

He got a few shots in when they rushed him as well. Even short choppy punches that are enhanced with dusters will break jaws and shatter teeth. @TX OMFS can tell you, the pain of exposed nerves from a mouth full of shattered teeth will take the fight out of almost anyone.

An Asp ( baton) even in skilled hands and the result would have been the same. Once rushed the baton is almost useless.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Gun is what the victim needed, knuckle duster might have made a difference. He got some good shots in, but with out the force multiplier of 8-10 ounces of metal encasing his knuckles they did not do any lasting damage.

If the first thug he hit and collapsed and was choking on broken teeth and mewling like a poorly clubbed harp seal it may have caused the others to back off.

He got a few shots in when they rushed him as well. Even short choppy punches that are enhanced with dusters will break jaws and shatter teeth. @TX OMFS can tell you, the pain of exposed nerves from a mouth full of shattered teeth will take the fight out of almost anyone.

An Asp ( baton) even in skilled hands and the result would have been the same. Once rushed the baton is almost useless.
    I vote for brass knuckles

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Antifa thugs are known to tape wrenches inside the sleeves of their hoodies so that it looks like they don't have a weapon, but they can crack your skull with their arms.

As for those street thugs in the video, it's been my observation from back in my misspent youth that they don't EVER fight one-on-one. They only fight when they have an advantage in numbers or weapons. Note how they kick the guy who is on the ground - and the thug chick smiling as she gets a selfie with the guy who they beat up.

A friend of mine started carrying a sawed off broom handle in his truck. He had a heart attack and figured he could no longer risk fighting without a weapon, but his wife wouldn't let him carry a pistol. He got into some minor disagreement with a drunk guy in a parking lot, and the guy came over and tried to grab him out of the truck as he was trying to leave. He cracked the guy in the head with the stick. The cops that showed up came very close to citing him, but after sorting out the details they let him go with a warning. The key thing that saved him was that the drunk did reach in his window and grab him.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Concepts of disparity in force and disparity in numbers are ones everyone should know and most dont. Hell most cops are fuzzy on them at best.

The bad guy doesn't have to know that you're disabled for you to be justified in stepping up that continuum of force and suprising the hell out of him.

Sadly most folks win these cases with expert testimony at trial, especially disparity in numbers when once the victim is down and the kicking begins he goes to a gun. You now have multiple stories to be sorted out and it's a mess. You hope folks were videoing the incident.

Blows to the head, especially undefended blows or to a person down is absolutely deadly force. Hundreds of people have served time for killing someone in a fight just by hitting them.

Avoid this crap if you can. Avoiding trouble i.e. walking away when every part of you wants to kick the shit out of someone is the hardest thing most people ever have to do but its required especially if you carry. Sadly the decision is taken from you many times by some tard or group who presses an attack when they are such cowards they think you are showing weakness by backing down and not kindness by giving them an out so someone doesn't end up hurt or dead.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom