• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I moved and had to go change the address on my CHL and DL. Somehow, my DL made it here in just over a week but my CHL is nowhere to be found. I have a receipt saying that I changed my address within the 30 day alloted time (actually two days after I moved) but I am a little concerned that my CHL and DL addresses don't match now. Has anyone recently changed addresses? How long did it take you to receive your license? It's nearing a month for me, and I just don't see why it's taking this long for them to print a new license. I assume the equipment is the same to print both the DL and CHL licenses.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I moved and had to go change the address on my CHL and DL. Somehow, my DL made it here in just over a week but my CHL is nowhere to be found. I have a receipt saying that I changed my address within the 30 day alloted time (actually two days after I moved) but I am a little concerned that my CHL and DL addresses don't match now. Has anyone recently changed addresses? How long did it take you to receive your license? It's nearing a month for me, and I just don't see why it's taking this long for them to print a new license. I assume the equipment is the same to print both the DL and CHL licenses.

Don't sweat it. The addresses do not have to match, and as long as you applied for the address change within 30 days you are fine.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Don't sweat it. The addresses do not have to match, and as long as you applied for the address change within 30 days you are fine.

Thanks, that's exactly the information I was needing. I thought it was 30 days to change it, I guess it would be ridiculous to believe everyone would have a new license within a month from moving.

Do you think it would be a good idea to keep my receipt with me? I know it isn't a legal license, but it's sort of proof that I did change addresses.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

A Texas CHL is not a valid ID. That's why you are asked to give your drivers license as well.

Bear that in mind.

Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Far, far, far North Dallas
    A Texas CHL is not a valid ID. That's why you are asked to give your drivers license as well.

Bear that in mind.

Always wondered about that. Both are issued by the state. Somewhere haw to verify who you are somewhere.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Thanks, that's exactly the information I was needing. I thought it was 30 days to change it, I guess it would be ridiculous to believe everyone would have a new license within a month from moving.

Do you think it would be a good idea to keep my receipt with me? I know it isn't a legal license, but it's sort of proof that I did change addresses.

I would not worry about it. The requirement to change the address is in the Texas Government Code, and is administered by DPS. There is nothing a LEO could do about it IF you were stopped and he compared the addresses on your DL and CHL except write a letter to DPS.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I got my new license yesterday, I didn't know they were changing the design on the card. My face looks too red, but it isn't something I'm worried enough to complain.

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    I thought I had read or been told to send the old one back. I guess I didn't read the requirements properly. On both occasions that I changed address, I returned my old license after receiving my new license.
    Oddly they never sent them back to me explaining I didn't need to do that.
    I missed out on the new style license by a month.
    For those interested you can view a sample here:
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/CHLNewLicAnnouncement.pdf

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I thought I had read or been told to send the old one back. I guess I didn't read the requirements properly. On both occasions that I changed address, I returned my old license after receiving my new license.
    Oddly they never sent them back to me explaining I didn't need to do that.
    I missed out on the new style license by a month.
    For those interested you can view a sample here:
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/CHLNewLicAnnouncement.pdf

They don't have time....I imagine it was cut in half and diposed of.

OatWillie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    Near Houston
    oops

Here's a tangential question: I took a "temporary" job in El Paso, though my home addy is in Galveston county. I kept my DL as is, do i need to change one or both?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Nope. And a change if address is not modifying a license, so you do not have to surrender it to DPS.

During the class I sat in on last week, the instructor stated that it was illegal to possess 2 CHL at the same time and refered to a statute that said upon reciept of a new license, the old one was to be returned to DPS. I can't find where he was reading from now. Have you ever heard of this before?

He is a petty good instructor who has done it since 96' and stated that they were told this at the last instructor school he went to.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    During the class I sat in on last week, the instructor stated that it was illegal to possess 2 CHL at the same time and refered to a statute that said upon reciept of a new license, the old one was to be returned to DPS. I can't find where he was reading from now. Have you ever heard of this before?

He is a petty good instructor who has done it since 96' and stated that they were told this at the last instructor school he went to.

He is confusing the "modified" license with the changed address. The Government code tells us that if you change the category of the weapon you can carry, usually NSA to SA, then you can be issued a modified license. When you receive a modified license you must return the original one.

A changed address is not a modified license.

Texas Government Code
    Sec. 411.184. MODIFICATION. (a) To modify a license to allow a license holder to carry a handgun of a different category than the license indicates, the license holder must:
    (1) complete a proficiency examination as provided by Section 411.188(e);
    (2) obtain a handgun proficiency certificate under Section 411.189 not more than six months before the date of application for a modified license; and
    (3) submit to the department:
    (A) an application for a modified license on a form provided by the department;
    (B) a copy of the handgun proficiency certificate;
    (C) payment of a modified license fee of $25; and
    (D) two recent color passport photographs of the license holder, except that an applicant who is younger than 21 years of age must submit two recent color passport photographs in profile of the applicant.
    (b) The director by rule shall adopt a modified license application form requiring an update of the information on the original completed application.
    (c) The department may modify the license of a license holder who meets all the eligibility requirements and submits all the modification materials.

Not later than the 45th day after receipt of the modification materials, the department shall issue the modified license or notify the license holder in writing that the modified license application was denied.
    (d) On receipt of a modified license, the license holder shall return the previously issued license to the department.
    (e) A license holder whose application fee for a modified license under this section is dishonored or reversed may reapply for a modified license at any time, provided the application fee and a dishonored payment charge of $25 is paid by cashier's check or money order made payable to the "Texas Department of Public Safety."

Here is the law on address changes;

Texas Government Code
    Sec. 411.181. NOTICE OF CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR NAME.

(a) If a person who is a current license holder moves to a new residence address, if the name of the person is changed by marriage or otherwise, or if the person's status as a federal judge, a state judge, or the spouse of a federal judge or state judge, becomes inapplicable, the person shall, not later than the 30th day after the date of the address, name, or status change, notify the department and provide the department with the number of the person's license and, as applicable, the person's:
    (1) former and new addresses; or
    (2) former and new names.
    (b) If the name of the license holder is changed by marriage or otherwise, or if the person's status becomes inapplicable as described by Subsection (a), the person shall apply for a duplicate license. The duplicate license must reflect the person's current name and status.
    (b) If the name of the license holder is changed by marriage or otherwise, or if the person's status as a federal judge or state judge, or the spouse of a federal judge or state judge becomes inapplicable, the person shall apply for a duplicate license. The duplicate license must include the person's current residence address.
    (c) If a license holder moves from the address stated on the license, the person shall apply for a duplicate license.
    (d) The department shall charge a license holder a fee of $25 for a duplicate license.
    (e) The department shall make the forms available on request.
    (f) On request of a local law enforcement agency, the department shall notify the agency of changes made under Subsection
    (a) by license holders who reside in the county in which the agency is located.
    (g) If a license is lost, stolen, or destroyed, the license holder shall apply for a duplicate license not later than the 30th day after the date of the loss, theft, or destruction of the license.
    (h) If a license holder is required under this section to apply for a duplicate license and the license expires not later than the 60th day after the date of the loss, theft, or destruction of the license, the applicant may renew the license with the modified information included on the new license. The applicant must pay only the nonrefundable renewal fee
    .(i) A license holder whose application fee for a duplicate license under this section is dishonored or reversed may reapply for a duplicate license at any time, provided the application fee and a dishonored payment charge of $25 is paid by cashier's check or money order made payable to the "Texas Department of Public Safety."

Notice nothing there requires return of the license.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas

He is correct in that you cannot have in your possession at any time two valid CHLs. He is incorrect that you must return a license after a change of address. As txinvestigator said, this only applies to a 'modified' license (e.g. modified from action type NSA to SA). Just cut up your old one and toss it in the trash.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom