• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I was a diehard DA/SA guy for a decade, and I carried a few DA/SA guns over the years. My last DA/SA carry gun was an HK P2000. I carried it for 6.5 years daily.

I switched back to a striker fired about 18 months ago. I now carry a Shield Plus Performance Center 9mm.
    Lynx Defense

TxPython357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Spuger, TX
    I have been carrying the performance center shield for years but have been thinking of going to the Sig 365XL to increase round count and get the longer sight picture. Not sure about the MRDO however. I am used to irons on my pistols. Although, the MRDO may help with these old tired eyes of mine.

I will carry the Hellcat on occasion and I really like those sights. My eyes adjust quickly to that sight picture. I have just never been happy with how it feels in my hand or how it draws from the holster. Maybe need to work with it more.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Y’all know me and know my preferred carry gun is a Wilson Combat EDC X9.

23ab4279e94bfbba399a9cf6c28ebd14.jpg

Some of y’all know me well enough to know “preferred” was a giveaway. For most of the last couple of months, I’ve been carrying a P365XL Elite.
    01b9fe83879d0e28bad71e42b21cca02.jpg

I made this switch because there’s been a few places I’ve had to go lately where I couldn’t remotely risk printing a firearm.

But this isn’t about having given up on the 1911, because I still carry the WC more often than the Sig. This is about going back and forth between irons and a red dot. I’ve done tens of thousands of presentations with iron sight pistols and it’s pretty natural for me to draw and end up with the f/r sight aligned and ready to go on target.

This little Sig has the tall night sights AND the MRDO on top of the WC grip. Let’s talk about why I went with that grip. I bought the grip before I bought the gun because I was really set on the S&W Shield Plus for mathletes from an ergo standpoint. But it still felt different enough from my WC that I didn’t feel comfortable. So I bought the WC grip module for the P365 to do some presentation work.

It’s no 1911 feel, but it’s closer than either the Sig or S&W offerings. It’s really close to what a WC 1911 grip feels like except the web of the thumb seats higher and the cutout in the trigger guard allows the middle finger and all the others just a bit more real estate so you get a full grip on the grip. That’s a good thing in my book. So that’s how I came to own the P365.

Now, back to the important part. The Sig has tall irons and the MRDO. I like MRDOs, especially on rifles for CQB. What I’ve learned is this little gun has to be presented just a bit higher from the draw or ready position to get the MRDO or the irons in the correct position. Invariably, the sight picture ends up being low, and most of that is attributable to the height of the portion of the gun above my grip being soooo much lower that on a 1911 or duty size 9mm. Generally, what feels like a natural arm rotation/position on the WC winds up with the Sig being somewhere between low read and ready with neither the reticle nor the irons fully visible.

My lesson learned from this is if you’re going to swap guns for EDC, put in the reps on draw/presentation. It’s more important than pulling the trigger.

I’ve got maybe a thousand reps on the little Sig and I’m still off enough for it to be a conscious item to check for and that could be the difference one day.
    Great post for me, I also carry a Kimber 1911 and switch to a P365 Sig often. I bought a grip wrap and trimmed the trigger guard bottom to better mimic the 1911 grip angle I am selling my Kimber Micro 9 now that the P365 ergonomics trigger slide release and mag release have been modified I like it better and have twice the mag capacity.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I have been carrying the performance center shield for years but have been thinking of going to the Sig 365XL to increase round count and get the longer sight picture. Not sure about the MRDO however. I am used to irons on my pistols. Although, the MRDO may help with these old tired eyes of mine.

I will carry the Hellcat on occasion and I really like those sights. My eyes adjust quickly to that sight picture. I have just never been happy with how it feels in my hand or how it draws from the holster. Maybe need to work with it more.

I have a 3" and 4" PC Shield Plus. I switch back and forth between the two. The 4" gives you the longer sight radius you are referring to

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I used to change my EDC before, but in the past 2 years have changed my mind.
    In my opinion, EDC means EVERY day. You don't change it. I know how it feels, I know which gun I have on me at all times.
    I have a P365 that I use for carry and now don't change it. Trigger is always the same, sights are always the same.
    Just my 2 cents.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Something that helped me switch (I have a similar situation where I swap between my preferred steel pistol and a P365XL) comfortably is to do my dry fire before I go out for the day, using whatever gun I'm carrying that day.

I guess it's a way of using recency bias to my advantage? Not sure if that term applies here.

Also, not sure if it would work for everyone, but I'm approaching a million reps with my steel pistol, and not even a twentieth of that with the Sig. Drawing that steel pistol is like walking, I don't even need to think about it.

I sometimes do dry fire during lunch, and I was noticing the same problem Todd mentions in the OP -- at any draw speed better than middling, my presentation with the Sig was putting my optic right where it should be...for the steel gun. Not lovely when I was carrying the Sig.

So I committed to an extra dry fire session in the am before starting my day with that day's carry pistol, thinking only that more reps couldn't hurt, and when I went to do my 2nd session during lunch, I immediately had about 90% reduction in problems with getting my presentations conflated on the very first day.
    It was maybe a day or two later, and I was at a 99+% reduction. Now it doesn't happen at all. It was like taking a fire extinguisher to the problem, just obliterated it.

Maybe it'll work for others, too, worst case you'll get some more reps...

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    That picture was taken 3+ yrs ago.
    Got a current pic? To me, a gun and holster that has honest wear and tear is a beautiful thing.

I switch back and forth between a G43 and an LCP Max. I like to pocket carry and these two are my favorites.

I don't have the luxury of being able to shoot in my back yard but I try to get to the range once a week to shoot a few rounds. Every day I practice drawing from concealment and dry firing. I dedicate 5-10 minutes of this every day and it does help.

Shooting is a perishable skill and you need to practice or you'll lose the skill.

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    In my opinion, EDC means EVERY day. You don't change it. I know how it feels, I know which gun I have on me at all times.
    I have a P365 that I use for carry and now don't change it. Trigger is always the same, sights are always the same.
    Just my 2 cents.
    I agree. The Sig P365x is best for me. 12 rounds and 1/2 inch shorter than the XL. Been carrying it for a while.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Just my 2 cents.
    I do dig that. That’s why I’m 1911 stuck. Regardless of the barrel length it always feels the same. Sites may be different but regardless of the sight pic, I’d be pie plate in a gunfight confident using mine, yours, or Todd’s 9mm WC that he desperately wants me to spend some time shooting at the next get together.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I heard it was quite a learning curve.
    There's a curve to it, but I'd wager I'm more likely to present my X9 w/an MRDO on target without a penalty than I am with the little gun. I mean there's close to an inch difference in the height of the sights above above the beavertail. The P365 sight line above the beaver tail lines up with the firing pin of the 1911.
    3EEA4C32-1C97-447C-8CC5-9E7B287C12D5.jpeg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Interesting. The ACSS reticle should not change the footprint. The physical body of the optic should be the same. Maybe check with Primary Arms to be sure.

HE507C-GR-X2-ACSS is the one I’m interested in. It’s an RMR footprint according to manufacturer. The P365XL uses an RMSc footprint as do the 507Ks. Hopefully Holosun will get the 507K out in a green 10moa chevron ACSS reticle like the 507C.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    HE507C-GR-X2-ACSS is the one I’m interested in. It’s an RMR footprint according to manufacturer. The P365XL uses an RMSc footprint as do the 507Ks. Hopefully Holosun will get the 507K out in a green 10moa chevron ACSS reticle like the 507C.

Yeah, the K models are a lot smaller. The 507K do bolt directly onto Sig 365 slides though - at least the newer iterations that retain irons with the red dot.

The Holoson EPS Carry (smaller cousin to the EPS) is essentially the enclosed emitter version of hte 507K - same footprint.

Given the smaller window of the K model sights - it would probably require a redesign of the reticle to work with the narrower sight window - would be cool to see Primary Arms do that.

If you do wind up putting an RDS on your 1911, that 507C + ACSS is a hell of a nice option. I thinkt he 509 (enclosed, same footprint) has an ACSS variant too.

Top Bottom