• ...and so much more!
  • PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Anyone else hear them reporting, that because of the shut down. you can't get a "gun permit"? :confused: They've repeated this 2 days in a row.
    Lynx Defense

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Obama shutting down NICS?

I've answered my own question. I guess CNN is using scare tactics to get conservatives to pressure their reps to keep gov. open.

Looks like CNN is trying to put fear in gun buyers hearts with false reporting. Wonder what their motive would be?

Despite bad CNN reporting, NICS to still operate during government shutdown - National gun rights | Examiner.com

“The FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Section has informed NSSF that NICS would remain fully operational and maintain normal business hours in the event of a government shutdown on Tuesday,” the industry trade association reported.
    This is consistent with an advisory posted last Friday by the National Rifle Association.
    “Law enforcement activities are designated as essential services and do not shut down even if the Congress and President fail to agree on funding legislation,” NRA explained. “The NICS system will continue to operate.”

Last edited:

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Read over on Rimfire, that the ncis was a stand alone contract. not subject to the shutdown BS. Just making sure I wasn't imagining things...

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Just saw the thread in the Class III forum, right after I clicked Post ;) Not that I have any in processing but a bummer for those affected.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    I think a random number generator, could do a better job of what's open and what's not. 'cause the newsies ain't cutting it.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I heard the same thing on CNN two days ago that "gun permits"(their words);) and how they would not be issued during a shutdown.

I sort of figured the NFA and maybe FFL processing would be down and that is what I assumed they were talking about, but they definitely made it out to sound like getting a firearm would be affected.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Here ya go.. I found some funny articles that mention it.

What the Government Shutdown Will Look Like Where You Live - Mike Riggs - The Atlantic Cities
    Applicants seeking gun permits, business loans, passports, and home loans: The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives will likely not process applications for gun permits

:roflfunny:

Government shutdown: What you need to know - CNN.com
    14. How will this affect me?
    In ways big and small. The mail will continue to come. The military will continue to fight. And Social Security checks will continue to be paid.
    But if you need a federal loan to buy a house, you'll have to wait. If you want a gun permit or a passport, that won't happen anytime soon.

:roflsmile::roflsmile:

And it goes on with them all repeating the same thing. :banghead:

<Thanks for the new smilies TGT>

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    The response I received. To: PhulesAu@yahoo.com <PhulesAu@yahoo.com>;
    Subject: gun permits
    Sent: Tue, Oct 1, 2013 8:35:33 PM

Mr. Duncan,

We checked with Spring Guns and Ammo and they tell us the FBI background checks continue without a hitch this morning, so gun sales continue without a problem.
    As far as permits are concerned, Texas does not issue permits for guns.
    You can apply for CHL to carry a gun… with the “red tape” backlog that normally takes 3-6 months to complete.
    I looked through our newscast and could find no instance where we said gun permits would be affected.
    If you saw one, please let me know which show and what time.

Thanks for watching KHOU 11 NEWS.

J.

Jack Acosta
    Assistant News Director
    KHOU / Houston, TX
    Twitter - @jackacostaKHOU

Top Bottom