• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I worked at a print shop on 12th & san jacinto at the time of the Whitman tower shootings, and a girl
    that worked in front office came in and told us "there's a guy on UT tower and he's shooting at people!"
    We ran up to the third floor, and got out on the roof. We were bout 10 block from there, but the sound
    of the shots, and the bullets richocheting off the tower could be clearly heard and seen. I drove up there
    that night, plenty of holes in the south clock face, too! A police officer, Bill Speed, was looking around the
    corner of the building that he was hiding behind, and when he stuck his head around the corner, a shot from
    Whitman hit right above his head. They say he said to someone close by "wow, that was close!" He peeked
    around the corner again, and this time Whitman got him in the head! This was over 400 yards distance.
    Whitman did the most damage with the 6mm Remington 700 rifle. Whitman left a note, and he mentioned in
    it that he would like for the authorities to do an autopsy on his body, as he realized that something was
    wrong with him.
    Gun Zone Deals

John Stanley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    I worked at a print shop on 12th & san jacinto at the time of the Whitman tower shootings, and a girl
    that worked in front office came in and told us "there's a guy on UT tower and he's shooting at people!"
    We ran up to the third floor, and got out on the roof. We were bout 10 block from there, but the sound
    of the shots, and the bullets richocheting off the tower could be clearly heard and seen. I drove up there
    that night, plenty of holes in the south clock face, too! A police officer, Bill Speed, was looking around the
    corner of the building that he was hiding behind, and when he stuck his head around the corner, a shot from
    Whitman hit right above his head. They say he said to someone close by "wow, that was close!" He peeked
    around the corner again, and this time Whitman got him in the head! This was over 400 yards distance.
    Whitman did the most damage with the 6mm Remington 700 rifle. Whitman left a note, and he mentioned in
    it that he would like for the authorities to do an autopsy on his body, as he realized that something was
    wrong with him.

Lockhart, Fascinating story and thanks for sharing. Interestingly, when I talked to Houston McCoy, the police officer that killed Whitman, he witnessed the killing. If you are familiar with the UT campus, Officer Speed was ducked down under the parapet right by the statue of Jefferson Davis on the western side of the mall. Whitman made a shot between two of the pillars there that couldn't be more than 6 inches between them. If you go there today you can still see the pockmark where Whitman's round hit exploding the granite into Speed's face causing him to fall backwards. When Speed fell backwards he was now standing and this is when Whitman shot him hitting him (I believe) in the shoulder causing his death.

ballas.jpg

This is the best image I could find but these are the two pillars that Whitman shot Officer Speed through. To this day there is a pockmark right between them where the 6mm round hit causing the granite to drive Officer Speed back into a standing position.

Now, back to the guns. I've listed the address of where the Silver Dollar Gun and Pawn shop was in Garland. According to Mr. Buxton who sold the guns to the man I am looking for, the records survived and were sent to the ATF office in Virginia where apparently thousands of gun purchase records are housed. Do any of you know if these records are available and, if so, how to get them?

Where are those guns?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Dallas : UT Austin Sniper Rifle/ Charles Whitman : Bolt Action

Once in a lifetime opportunity to purchase the UT Austin Sniper Rifle once owned and used by Charles Whitman during the UT sniper shootings in 1966. On August 1,1966 Charles Whitman climed to the top of the administration building of the University of Texas tower in Austin, TX. He Began what Life Magazine called "The most Savage one man rampage in the history of american crime." Ninety six minutes later 48 people were shot. 16 people were killed including an Austin police officer, 32 others lay wounded. The following rifle is up for Sale: Remington 700 ADL, 6 MM CAL with Lupold scope. Documentatin will be shown. Accepting bids starting at $25,000 Contact Donald Weiss: 469-506-8885

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Firearms that are associated with famous/infamous people and events virtually all have an enhanced value, both monetarily and historically. A collector friend of mine owned Billy Miner's revolver Story of Bill Miner - Royal Canadian Mounted Police which sold for $35,000 at auction after he passed away. A movie, "The Grey Fox" chronicled Billy Miner's exploits during his career as a robber in British Columbia.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    If anyone has any interest in him, this is a great read:

Tower Fantasy: Shooter Charles Whitman

I just read this, its not too long, grab a cup o joe for it, the details are very vivid of the shooting and what led up to it, if you start reading you cannot stop...

Interesting. Having lived in Austin at the time, it has always been a story of interest to me.

Top Bottom