Join TexasGunTalk

Charleston city council adopts resolution apologizing for slavery

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by roadrunner, Jun 20, 2018.

1. roadrunner

roadrunner Well-Known

Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I just found this news article. And it really pisses me off that some folks feel the need to continously apologize for what was done 150 years ago. All these people are doing is keeping this shit stirred up.

"A South Carolina city, once a crucial slave trading port, approved a symbolic resolution on Tuesday denouncing slavery, with the promise of change.

Charleston City Council voted to apologize for the city’s role it played in the slave trade, and proposed an office of racial reconciliation.

The majority-white 12 member council voted in a city hall that is located less than a mile from the old wharf, where almost half of all the slaves brought to the United States first stepped foot on American soil.

Two members of the council said they would not vote for the resolution.

Councilman Perry Waring cited a need to focus on economic development as the basis for his opposition. Fellow councilman Harry Joseph Griffin said passing the resolution would have implications, and added that the city needed to address other issues facing the city.

The vote coincided with “Juneteenth,” a celebration of the end of slavery, and came just two days after the third anniversary of a racist attack by a white man who killed nine black members of a Charleston church."

C_Hallbert likes this.
  2. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    0AF04835-2583-4EED-9959-1CD58F57636B.jpeg

3. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Sometimes it takes someone from the outside looking in...

DubiousDan likes this.
  4. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Is there an English translation for that. Not trying to be funny, I can't understand the guy.

5. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    Why not apologize for the Holocaust, while they were at it? Or Atilla the Hun's atrocities? The slaughter perpetrated by the Philistines? The Romans at Carthage?

Where does it stop?

6. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    The answer to that should be obvious - Charleston had nothing to do with any of those events but did participate in the slave trade. But I don't believe it was necessary to apologize for it since all of the people involved in that are now dead, and nobody alive there had anything to do with it. It's all about the "feels".

7. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Well-Known

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth

He's basically saying black people complain and whine too much about something that happened almost 2 centuries ago. He, as a non-American, cannot understand why they are treated with such, and forgive the saying, white fingered gloves. That's his point, it's fair. Europeans are now starting to learn what it feels like to be called a racist for pointing out socially obvious things about non-whites. Hence their African immigration issue. Remember the non-white population in Europe 25 years ago was less than 3%.... Now its well over 15% (I think in some areas it's as high as 40%.)

8. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    No one currently alive (or even anyone in the past some generations) in Charleston had anything to do with slavery.

If they are going to start apologizing for things that other people did at earlier points in history, why stop at slavery?

9. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Pretty sure I said that, you even quoted it.

10. Low_Speed

Low_Speed Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Austin
    I’m black and I’m sick of it too. It’s ridiculous that people are apologizing for something they had nothing to do with. For Christ sakes, your are perpetuating racism by constantly bring it up. Move the hell on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk