• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I've been thinking about a small frame revolver for a while. It's always been between a Ruger SP 101 or an S&W J frame in .357 mag or .38+P, like the model 60. I ran across this Hickok video yesterday and was intrigued with this small frame .44 Special.
    Back in the 70's, these were a hot item. Either in spite of, or because of a guy named D. Berkowitz.

Seems like a good one to add to the other two contenders. They are quite a bit less expensive than the Ruger and S&W. What are your thoughts on the Bulldog. How do they compare to the Ruger and S&W in quality and workmanship etc. How does the .44 Special compare to .38 Special +P for a defensive round.
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 10, 2016
    I had a 3" back in the day, and it was a potent package.

So potent, it was quite unpleasant to shoot for any length of time. The shape of the grip made it quite bitey.

.44 Spl is a good short range defensive round, IF you can control it well enough to actually hit what you're shooting at. I'd compare it to a .38 Spl +P+, about equally.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I've owned one for about 6 years. Back when I bought it, I bought it based on price. Something cheap, I could carry in the car and I didn't have too much into if it ended up missing one way or another. It did have issues at first with it binding up on random followup shots. After shooting it more and more, it seems to have worked itself out but it will still do it from time to time. That alone should be an indicator at the quality of it compared to a Ruger or Smith. But you get what you pay for sometimes. With that said, I still do carry it. It's a convienient pocket carry gun and is obvious a last resort if my world renowned situational awareness should ever once fail me. ;)

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    How do the primers look after firing?

I don't recall them looking any different then any other spent ammo. What are you thinking could be the problem?

I guess I should have paid better attention. Next time I go out I will see if I can replicate the issue and maybe even take some pictures.

Tex929rr

Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    I had a 3" back in the day, and it was a potent package.

So potent, it was quite unpleasant to shoot for any length of time. The shape of the grip made it quite bitey.

.44 Spl is a good short range defensive round, IF you can control it well enough to actually hit what you're shooting at. I'd compare it to a .38 Spl +P+, about equally.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

I'll second that. I have a S/W Night Guard in .44 special. I think it weighs an ounce more than the bulldog and as much as I like it, 50 rounds is all you can stand to put through it at the range.

To the OP: .44 special is really expensive unless you reload it yourself.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Bought one that had the rear sight installed incorrectly. Tried contacting the company sveral times over 6 months and never got through to anybody. Finally found CAs CEOs email address and he sorted it out for me. Never again.

.44 special is way too expensive anyway. Last boc of premium HPs I bought was about $47 fpr 20. Even reloading it is expensive.

Legionnaire

Apr 22, 2016
    Central TX
    If Ruger put a five-shot .44 spl cylinder in a GP100 frame with a three-inch barrel (are you listening, Ruger?) I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Until they do, I'm quite content with my 2.25-inch SP101 in .357 mag.

GKC

Jun 17, 2011
    San Angelo, Texas
    GP100%2044.jpg
    If Ruger put a five-shot .44 spl cylinder in a GP100 frame with a three-inch barrel (are you listening, Ruger?) I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Until they do, I'm quite content with my 2.25-inch SP101 in .357 mag.

I realize your comment was posted 2 years ago, and you probably already know this by now, but this gives me an excuse to post a picture of my GP100 .44 Special with a 3" barrel. The cylinder holds 5 rounds.

GP100%2044.jpg
    [/IMG]

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom