• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I'm sorry you have such a statist point of view.
    It's not statist, it's fact.

I have yet to have a bystander point out an error.
    Usually it's things like "he can't search your car without your permission" or "you can't arrest her for that" or some other highly informed point of view...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Usually it's things like "he can't search your car without your permission" or "you can't arrest her for that" or some other highly informed point of view...

To some “statist” means any form of authority or anything they don’t like.

Funny that this is being said in a thread referencing the state prosecuting an individual and the person is in support of this state prosecution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area

“I’m pro-2A, but...”

“i’m not a statist but all the peons are ignorant...”

In my experience back when I was helping the open carry movement, most of the officers were flat out ignorant of the laws. Barely avoided arrest one time by a TX DPS officer while carrying a black powder weapon.

Trust me, I too, could give an excuse from the letter of the law to miss the spirit of the Bill of Rights.

This is a gun forum. We all know the Texas Penal Code goes well beyond what the Texas Bill of Rights says should be so with regards to arms, and some officer could use that to arrest most of us at sometime or another and would be protected by the system. Mindful officers aren’t looking for excuses to arrest those they serve, and seek to honor their oath to the Constitution (Including Article 1, Section 23) and the higher principles.

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    When he did not let up, at the point where the other officer said he could not find a pulse, is what I believed was most damning of all. I think a guilty verdict is what was deserved and just but that's my opinion. In 32 years of LE work, I pulled a few other agents/officers off of perps when they were going to far but that was always in the heat of the moment. Chauvin did not continue to kneel on Floyd's neck in a heated moment - he did it for several minutes with a smug look on his face even when told no pulse could be found. If he did not intend to kill Floyd, at the point he remained on his neck after being told about the lack of a pulse, I have no clue what he thought he was doing.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    George Floyd, was no innocent bystander, and he sure wasn't the choir boy many of his admirers want to make him out to be, But, he is the face and name for a cause of leading an effort to help defund LE agencies.

I heard more that one of his admirers, go one to say, Floyd had a rough and sad life and he had been in trouble with the law before, but he was on the path to straightening out his life. Hmmm...Hog wash Marlarkey! People trying to turn their lives around, aren't passing phony money and doing drugs!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Some of you people talk about Floyd like he was a criminal or something.

JUST because he was a few times over the lethal dose on fentanyl doesn’t mean he deserved to die. I mean, who dies from just 3.75 times the lethal dose?

Nope, this was obviously murder. Beyond a reasonable doubt apparently.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Floyd did accomplish one thing in life, his family is $37 million richer. The clerk who took his phony $20 bill is $20 poorer, and Chauvin was found guilty. He may get off some on appeal. Who knows.

dooladawg

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2021
    The sticks
    ScreenShot_20210421090157.png

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Waiting for someone to provide some kind of evidence that the restraint used in Floyd was actually fatal in any other case. Maybe in one of the 200+ times it was used in that department in the previous year.

Otherwise, reasonable doubt.

Chauvin isn’t getting charged with a Floyd’s death. He’s been charged with anything and everything anyone doesn’t like about law enforcement. People are making him the avatar for everything that hurts their feelings, just like the left did with Trump. And he’s being forced to pay the price for everything anyone believes police have ever been responsible for, imagined or not.

LE should walk away in these areas. Give the people what they want and let them deal with it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Waiting for someone to provide some kind of evidence that the restraint used in Floyd was actually fatal in any other case. Maybe in one of the 200+ times it was used in that department in the previous year.

Chauvin isn’t getting charged with a Floyd’s death. He’s been charged with anything and everything anyone doesn’t like about law enforcement. People are making him the avatar for everything that hurts their feelings, just like the left did with Trump. And he’s being forced to pay the price for everything anyone believes police have ever been responsible for, imagined or not.

LE should walk away in these areas. Give the people what they want and let them deal with it.

I think you posted those numbers before in this thread, and I think you mentioned that this restraint method is/was approved by that police department. I would say this, just because it has been used before, and no one died as result, doesn't in itself make it a safe means of restraining a person. In Chauvin's case, as we now know Floyd was on Fentynal, and at almost four times the lethal amount to kill a person. So Floyd's death could be a combination of factors that contributed to his own death.

With all that said, none of that IMO points to Chauvin being guilty of any murder charges. At the very, very least, again IMO, negligent homicide. IF Floyd's death was a result of the restraint method used, and it was their approved departmental method, then that police department is responsible for Floyd's death, not Chauvin.

I would also add, maybe that police department, and any other LE agency using that particular restraint method, might need to re-think that, or study training and use of that restraint so this doesn't happen again.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think you posted those numbers before in this thread, and I think you mentioned that this restraint method is/was approved by that police department. I would say this, just because it has been used before, and no one died as result, doesn't in itself make it a safe means of restraining a person. In Chauvin's case, as we now know Floyd was on Fentynal, and at almost four times the lethal amount to kill a person. So Floyd's death could be a combination of factors that contributed to his own death.

With all that said, none of that IMO points to Chauvin being guilty of any murder charges. At the very, very least, again IMO, negligent homicide. IF Floyd's death was a result of the restraint method used, and it was their approved departmental method, then that police department is responsible for Floyd's death, not Chauvin.

I would also add, maybe that police department, and any other LE agency using that particular restraint method, might need to re-think that, or study training and use of that restraint so this doesn't happen again.

If he had been found of manslaughter I might disagree on grounds that it still doesn’t meet the burden of “beyond reasonable doubt”, but at least the charge would be appropriate for the circumstances and there is at least an argument to be made that if he had reacted sooner it might have changed the outcome and his inaction was negligent. It could be a reasonable discussion.

What we saw was the state and department throwing an officer under the bus to protect themselves from public backlash created by a media narrative that’s been gaining steam since Mike Brown was shot.

Given the circumstances, I can’t support or entertain any arguments that this trial had a just outcome and hope he gets a mistrial or appeal. Our courts shouldn’t be swayed by rioting mobs and inaccurate or incomplete stories pushed by the media.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    If he had been found of manslaughter I might disagree on grounds that it still doesn’t meet the burden of “beyond reasonable doubt”, but at least the charge would be appropriate for the circumstances and there is at least an argument to be made that if he had reacted sooner it might have changed the outcome and his inaction was negligent. It could be a reasonable discussion.

What we saw was the state and department throwing an officer under the bus to protect themselves from public backlash created by a media narrative that’s been gaining steam since Mike Brown was shot.

Given the circumstances, I can’t support or entertain any arguments that this trial had a just outcome and hope he gets a mistrial or appeal. Our courts shouldn’t be swayed by rioting mobs and inaccurate or incomplete stories pushed by the media.

Personally, from newer information that has come forth, especially the ME's report on Floyd, I'd probably have a hard time convicting Chauvin on manslaughter charges.

I looked up Fentanyl poisoning to understand the side effects of the drug. Found this to be quite interesting:

Can using fentanyl poison me?
    Yes, it can poison you if you take too much. Early signs of fentanyl poisoning may include:

• sleepiness
    • trouble breathing (it may sound like snoring)
    • slow, shallow breathing
    • cold, clammy skin
    • unresponsiveness to pain or a person’s voice
    The most dangerous side effect of fentanyl is it can cause you to stop breathing, which can lead to death.

IMO, that is pretty close to describing Floyd's reactions that day with Chauvin and the other officers.

The guilty verdict, IMO was an appeasement for the masses and the mob. I believe Chauvin may have been made the sacrificial lamb to help quieten the masses from protesting and rioting. If that is true, there was no justice served for anyone, because the truth was covered up.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area

Some are doing that. Others, like me aren't, and your conflation isn't helpful.
    Personally, from newer information that has come forth, especially the ME's report on Floyd, I'd probably have a hard time convicting Chauvin on manslaughter charges.

I looked up Fentanyl poisoning to understand the side effects of the drug. Found this to be quite interesting:

Can using fentanyl poison me?
    Yes, it can poison you if you take too much. Early signs of fentanyl poisoning may include:

• sleepiness
    • trouble breathing (it may sound like snoring)
    • slow, shallow breathing
    • cold, clammy skin
    • unresponsiveness to pain or a person’s voice
    The most dangerous side effect of fentanyl is it can cause you to stop breathing, which can lead to death.
    The problem with this is that if this is TRUE, and I'm not disputing that, then Floyd was legitimately gasping for breath and struggling to breath, and that means Chauvin SHOULD have been more circumspect and changed his positioning... The man was saying he couldn't breath, regardless of the cause, that should have prompted a response, or at a minimum a change of approach. Still manslaughter in my book.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Some are doing that. Others, like me aren't, and your conflation isn't helpful.

The problem with this is that if this is TRUE, and I'm not disputing that, then Floyd was legitimately gasping for breath and struggling to breath, and that means Chauvin SHOULD have been more circumspect and changed his positioning... The man was saying he couldn't breath, regardless of the cause, that should have prompted a response, or at a minimum a change of approach. Still manslaughter in my book.

I do agree with what you're saying. To a point. Hindsight is 20/20, and it's easy to sit back and make judgments after the fact. Chauvin was there, and we weren't.

That was why I mentioned a negligent homicide charge instead. That would have been the only charge I might have convicted on if I were on the jury. But, I doubt that charge was offered as an option, hence the murder charges. This was a very high profile case and they wanted charges that would have shock value if Chauvin was convicted.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    I do agree with what you're saying. To a point. Hindsight is 20/20, and it's easy to sit back and make judgments after the fact. Chauvin was there, and we weren't.

That was why I mentioned a negligent homicide charge instead. That would have been the only charge I might have convicted on if I were on the jury. But, I doubt that charge was offered as an option, hence the murder charges. This was a very high profile case and they wanted charges that would have shock value if Chauvin was convicted.

The reason this went to court is because it was obvious in more than just hindsight. The bystanders thought it was wrong and vocally urged the officer to show mercy - which combined with Floyd’s own “I can’t breathe” was reasonable suspicion that the man was in trouble. The officer’s smug unwillingness to be moved by the combination of the man’s words and his attitude towards the peons’ criticism of his stance is why there is significant belief, myself included, that he deserved at least the manslaughter charge.

Top Bottom