Cheap Ammo!!!!!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Big country, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I thought that would get your attention! :rofl: Anyway. I bought 100 rounds of Monarch 40 ammo at the Academy the other day and thought I might shoot some of it this week. I want to know if anyone has shot the stuff and how crappy it is, if it is really crappy at all. The kid behind the counter said it was just as good as the WWB. I was just wondering what to expect. :gotme:

2. shilohshooters

shilohshooters Active Member

Mar 29, 2008
    north houston
    I'm pretty certain that I will catch untold amounts of crap for this, but I personally like the stuff (the brass). I hear complaints about it being dirty, but that does not bother me or my guns of choice! When we have 4 or more shooters firing WWB, you can watch the smoke pour downrange. You would almost think that someone is busting off black powder rounds! 4 or more shooting Monarch, downrange is clear as day. As far as reliability, I have to give it an A. I don't remember the last time I had "ammo-related malfunctions" with it. It works, it's cheap, it works, as long as you're not shooting a PX4, and it's cheap. I give it a thumbs up!:texas:

3. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    +1, I have been running alot of it through my 9mm lately, and had zero problems. Also, it seems Academy does a pretty good job of keeping it on the shelves...

4. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

99% of the ammo that I shoot is Monarch once in a while if I find a good price WWB value pack I will buy one.
    I never had any kind of problems with the monarch.

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I've gone through a lot of it. Seems fine to me. But with the ammo shortage, I don't have a lot to compare it to.

6. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Thanks for the feed back on the monarch. Any other (brass cased) ammo that is good?

7. MuddyWaterMan

MuddyWaterMan Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Why doesn't it work well with the PX4?

8. ebk06

ebk06 Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Austin
    Its shot well through my Kimber and Glock. I really dont see a difference in it and the Remington,or Winchester of higher prices.

9. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    Worked well for me. It puts holes in paper very well. In my beretta 92, I think.

I've never reloaded the brass, but I wouldn't worry about trying.

10. jfrey

jfrey Active Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    It worked fine for me in 3 Hi-Powers and a Taurus PT111. I did shoot it over a chrony against WWB and the Monarch was slower. That was 9mm ammo. The .40 should be all right. I like the .38 spl. loads too.