• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I thought that would get your attention! Anyway. I bought 100 rounds of Monarch 40 ammo at the Academy the other day and thought I might shoot some of it this week. I want to know if anyone has shot the stuff and how crappy it is, if it is really crappy at all. The kid behind the counter said it was just as good as the WWB. I was just wondering what to expect.
    Gun Zone Deals

shilohshooters

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    north houston
    I'm pretty certain that I will catch untold amounts of crap for this, but I personally like the stuff (the brass). I hear complaints about it being dirty, but that does not bother me or my guns of choice! When we have 4 or more shooters firing WWB, you can watch the smoke pour downrange. You would almost think that someone is busting off black powder rounds! 4 or more shooting Monarch, downrange is clear as day. As far as reliability, I have to give it an A. I don't remember the last time I had "ammo-related malfunctions" with it. It works, it's cheap, it works, as long as you're not shooting a PX4, and it's cheap. I give it a thumbs up!

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    +1, I have been running alot of it through my 9mm lately, and had zero problems. Also, it seems Academy does a pretty good job of keeping it on the shelves...

ebk06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Austin
    Its shot well through my Kimber and Glock. I really dont see a difference in it and the Remington,or Winchester of higher prices.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Worked well for me. It puts holes in paper very well. In my beretta 92, I think.

I've never reloaded the brass, but I wouldn't worry about trying.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    It worked fine for me in 3 Hi-Powers and a Taurus PT111. I did shoot it over a chrony against WWB and the Monarch was slower. That was 9mm ammo. The .40 should be all right. I like the .38 spl. loads too.

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    Love Monarch. Shoots just as well as anything else I've shot and for the price you cant beat it unless you can find the blazer brass at wally world for 12.47.

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    AS of last weekend my father-in-lae finally shot through the last of the monarch brass in the old green boxes it used to come in from Academy. We loaded up on it when they had it on sale back Last year when they had it on-sale for the same price as the steel cased stuff. Bought about 6000 rounds of it. Fired it through 7 differient glocks over the last half year, and not a single malfunction. Its not bulleye shooting loads for sure, but it gets the job done for most types of shooting. We used it for GSSF, steel plate matches, and training.

So far the brass has reloaded quite well too. I've reloaded about 3000 rounds of it with various weight bullets and primers using Bullseye and it works well. Getting around to the second time on some of the cases and they still seem to be doing well.

I know at the last GSSF match I was at, Monarch brass and steel cased ammo in the catchy new red boxes had pretty much replaced WWB as the most commonly used ammo in all calibres based on what people had in their range bags.

malladus

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think I shot it out of the 30-30 I used to have. If I remember right it did do okay. Thanks for the info, I had no idea it was on par with the WWB.
    I don't plan on reloading it, but I might start trying to sell the brass from my range trips. If I do this how do I go about pricing it? Is there a standard price on brass (of any manufacture) for 30-06 and 40 brass or is it done by weight?

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I've shot it in my Sigs, HK's Glock and even my Kahr. Never a malfunction or issue.

Dirty? seems like all "target" ammo is dirtier than higher quality defense ammo.. I clean my guns after shooting anyway, so I don't see much additional efforts in cleaning.

Unfortunately, the Academy I frequent sells it out pretty quickly when it comes in. Virtually never on the shelf. At least for the past 4-5 months.

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Need to look into it, freaked me out for a sec as I plan on buying a new 9mm soon and amleaning towards the PX4. Just wanted to make sure there weren't some issues I hadn't heard of.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    99% of the ammo that I shoot is Monarch once in a while if I find a good price WWB value pack I will buy one.I never had any kind of problems with the monarch.

+1...same hear. I read that it was dirty, but I really can't tell. I like it.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I'm pretty certain that I will catch untold amounts of crap for this, but I personally like the stuff (the brass). I hear complaints about it being dirty, but that does not bother me or my guns of choice! When we have 4 or more shooters firing WWB, you can watch the smoke pour downrange. You would almost think that someone is busting off black powder rounds! 4 or more shooting Monarch, downrange is clear as day. As far as reliability, I have to give it an A. I don't remember the last time I had "ammo-related malfunctions" with it. It works, it's cheap, it works, as long as you're not shooting a PX4, and it's cheap. I give it a thumbs up!

Probably clog up a Sig, wouldnt you think????

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Well I ran threw 100 of them this weekend and 50 of the blazer brass. I think the blazer is the cleanest, fallowed by the monarch. I think it ran cleaner than the WWB I'm used to shooting. I almost cut the bulls eye right out of my target and my wife was shooting great with it. So I think I just adopted two new preferred brands for target practice.

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    Never had a problem with Monarch ammo in 9mm, .40S&W, or .45ACP. I've shot quite a bit of it (because it was cheap!).

Top Bottom