• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Any suggestions on a durable paint, or coating I can do myself to try and save a few bucks.My SR9c currently has a green Hydrographic design on it and I want the slide to be black.

Was thinking about VHT High temp black header paint, from a gear heads point of view it is durable and withstands very high temps.And if it gets scratched or scuffed its a easy fix.But before I do it I figured I would ask if there was a better option?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391376100303.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1391376100303.jpg
      66.5 KB · Views: 3,856

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    I've been looking at the new duracoat aerosol. Haven't tried it but it looks easy enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Brownells alumahyde II is a very durable paint. It's really tough and once applied takes a lot of abuse.

Then there is always krylon epoxi. Also good but not as durable yet it's much easier to find.

Those are cheap good options.

Duracoat is better but requires special tools. Chericoat is awesome but so is its price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Freez

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Brownells alumahyde II is a very durable paint. It's really tough and once applied takes a lot of abuse.

Then there is always krylon epoxi. Also good but not as durable yet it's much easier to find.

Those are cheap good options.

Duracoat is better but requires special tools. Chericoat is awesome but so is its price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Freez

Never heard of either, so I'm going to check them out.Thanks for the input.

what he said
    :thumbup:

Grill paint or caliper paint.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk
    Grill paint was another that crossed my mind. Just need a flat or satin finish.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I'm thinking I alumahyding my ak, but don't know how close their brown in to cerakoted patriot brown...that's what I really want but for 13 bucks I may go alumahyde

sent from the bathroom

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Grill/ caliper/ BBQ paint shouldn't be necessary. It isn't any tougher than any other paint and your slide shouldn't get hot enough to burn regular paint. Even the barrel itself shouldn't get that hot.

If you cheap out and use spray paint atleast buy good paint and prep the surface properly. Scuff it up really well and use multiple light coats with adequate dry time between coats. A good clear coat will help toughen it up a little. It isn't very durable but it is easy to fix and change colors if you want to experiment. Chemical gun cleaners will take it off also so watch out for that.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    For "cheap", I'd go with Aluma Hyde II. Bead blast and thoroughly degrease the slide before you spray.

Aluma Hyde II is an epoxy paint and it takes a week at room temp for the stuff to fully cure. I did a shotgun in the stuff, and later a handguard for my AR. It held up really well, but it's no Cerakote.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I know an idiot who used (many) aerosol cans of green paint on his car, because he was so "cheap" - just sayin'.....

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Well I want to ceracote it but don't have the funds to do it, its just a range gun right now so it won't see much wear and tear.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I know an idiot who used (many) aerosol cans of green paint on his car, because he was so "cheap" - just sayin'.....

There's a guy here who wins awards for his rattle can paint job on his car. Paint is paint it's all in the prep you can make rattle paint look like an expensive job if you prep it properly

sent from the bathroom

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    I have painted entire car about 10 years ago and hood or a trunk here and there with rattle cans. Most people never can tell when I'm done with them.Many coats, wet sanding and clear make worlds of difference. But I also had street/strip cars and refused to spend money on a fancy paint job.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Try high temp brake caliper paint? Or maybe a ceramic engine or header paint.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Of course if your anywhere near San Antonio I can do a hi temp brake caliper paint finish for a nominal fee ;-)

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Ghosty1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Beaumont
    krylon flat black. trick is to bake it in oven. ive done this with an AK, and i was surprised. looks good, durability far more than i expected. hard to scratch off, i mean it was practically parkerized!
    bake it@350 for about 30 mins. makes world of diff.

Top Bottom