Join TexasGunTalk

"Cheap & Dirty" Facemasks

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Texan-in-Training, Apr 5, 2020.

1. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    If they don't work, why does every health care worker on the planet wear one?

Davetex and TxStetson like this.
  2. jordanmills

jordanmills TGT Addict

Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    They do work. Just not how most people expect them to work. Surgical masks prevent most spittle from normal talking from getting outside the mask. They're great if you hovering closely over a patient opened up on an operating table. They don't do much to stop sputum from a deep cough from staying in the mask. They don't do a thing to protect the person wearing the mask.

Davetex and popsgarland like this.
  3. rotor

rotor Active Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Wichita Falls
    I think the value for these masks is to prevent droplet spread straight out in a sneeze or cough. If you are infected you may reduce the risk to other people. I see so many people wearing masks under their nose with their nostrils exposed.

Davetex likes this.
  4. gdr_11

gdr_11 Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Great! Now there will be a run on shop towels and I’ll have to wipe my hands on my pants

Davetex, Southpaw and jordanmills like this.
  5. Glenn B

Glenn B Well-Known TGT Supporter

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    Quite possibly incorrect based on what I've been taught over the years. If nothing else, the masks - even somewhat ill fitting, will help prevent what's in you from infecting others since it comes out of you as droplets of liquid which get stuck in the mask as you breathe or cough or sneeze. Some may get around the sides but not with the force they would have had going straight out with no mask. These are more likely to fall to the ground where they are less likely to be a vector for infection since you don't breathe in the ground in most instances short of dust blown into the air. Such masks also potentially will help stop outside infectious material that comes in direct contact with the mask and thus is blocked by the mask. Some may come around the edges and some may not - potluck so to speak. Best to have a proper fitting mask but one that does not have a perfect seal can help some.

Younggun, Rhino and rotor like this.
  6. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict Lifetime Member

May 25, 2009
    I would tend to agree, but there does have to be a reason everyone in the far east where they have these new outbreaks on a regular basis seem to wear them. Perhaps it's the way virus droplets travel or something? Or perhaps it's just keeping all the folks who are sick and don't know it from spreading things. I don't know, but am not ready to dismiss it yet. (not that you can buy facemasks at this point anyway)

Younggun likes this.
  7. Mills

Mills Member

Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Got it done, can’t wait to go to HEB. B7D73C95-D8E7-461B-B67A-932997F2021C.jpeg

Geezer, Davetex and Southpaw like this.
  8. Vaquero

Vaquero San Saba Songbird

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    ginnfacemaskspunaround.gif

TxStetson and Davetex like this.
  9. Vaquero

Vaquero San Saba Songbird

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Maybe I misunderstood

TxStetson, Davetex and Rhino like this.
  10. Shady

Shady TGT Addict

Aug 24, 2013

Well now why did I not think of this I will be adding a mask year round from now till I croak.