• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crzy_one

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Austin
    Looking for a cheap 4x4 pickup. Ugly is fine as long as it runs well. Budget is around 3-4k.

Might also consider quads or some type of off-road golf cart type thing.

Prefer within a few hours of Austin but if it is the right deal further is fine.

Thank you!
    ARJ Defense ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Cheap and 4x4 usually don't get used in the same sentence!

Not a very big budget to work with for a decent 4x4. I suspect the majority in that price range and going to be wrung out and wore out POS trucks.

I do wish you luck though. You might get lucky and find that rare gem for sale.

crzy_one

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Austin
    You are right...will consider 2wd.

The struggle is real!

Cheap and 4x4 usually don't get used in the same sentence!

Not a very big budget to work with for a decent 4x4. I suspect the majority in that price range and going to be wrung out and wore out POS trucks.

I do wish you luck though. You might get lucky and find that rare gem for sale.

McCrapper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2018
    Central Texas
    I got a 2000 k3500 4x4 ill part with for $3500. 207k miles. Just put new starter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, MAF, throttle position sensor, Egr, and recent shocks on it.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Looking for a cheap 4x4 pickup. Ugly is fine as long as it runs well. Budget is around 3-4k.

Prefer within a few hours of Austin but if it is the right deal further is fine.

Thank you!

crzyone,

Give me a few days & I'll find you an OLD-SCHOOL 4x4 Ford F250 diesel. in that price range = CRUDE, TOUGHER THAN A dollar steak & seldom breaks down.

LOTS of those on South Texas ranches. = The old 1986 model that we had on our farm for >20 years had over 500,000 miles when it was DESTROYED by a neighbors one ton Santa Gertrudeus bull.

FWIW an old-school 6.9 IH diesel with a manual trans is damned near indestructible.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    crzyone,

Give me a few days & I'll find you an OLD-SCHOOL 4x4 Ford F250 diesel. in that price range = CRUDE, TOUGHER THAN A dollar steak & seldom breaks down.

LOTS of those on South Texas ranches. = The old 1986 model that we had on our farm for >20 years had over 500,000 miles when it was DESTROYED by a neighbors one ton Santa Gertrudeus bull.

FWIW an old-school 6.9 IH diesel with a manual trans is damned near indestructible.

yours, satx
    They had a naturally-aspirated diesel,
    they would just run and run .

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    They had a naturally-aspirated diesel,
    they would just run and run .

Mills,
    VERY TRUE,

The "old school" indirect injection IH diesel will run fine on pump diesel and/or on any number of other things, including (well-filtered) USED MOTOR OIL, used cooking grease & a host of other things & "not miss a lick".
    (When we had the old 1986, I mostly drove it on "used french fry grease", as an old school chum had 2 "fast food joints" & saved the leftover cooking grease for me. - 20 gallons of grease each week will run a 6.9 farther than I'll ever drive in a whole month.= I ended up giving my neighbor free grease to run his old diesel tractor on.)

NOTE: 10 gallons of CLEANED/FILTERED grease, mixed with ONE gallon of pump gas, works FINE in a "cornbinder" diesel.

Back then, I had four 55 gallon plastic drums that I used to "settle out" the water & other stuff from the used grease BEFORE filtering it.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

Thank you!

crzy one,

FYI, there is a 2WD 1992 F250 (SINGLE CAB) with the MANUAL transmission for sale on WACO's craigslist right now for 2900.oo OBO, which desperately needs a new paint job. - WHITE outside/red inside. ====> It is a 7.3L IDI by International Harvester.
    (IF I was looking for another "farm truck", I would go look at it, as the old-school IH F250 will "pull a house".)

ADDENDA: The OLD-School IDI/F-series diesels are said to be SLOW. = Our unmodified one would pull a 4-horse trailer, loaded with hay, over 85MPH.
    (My 1st cousin got a ticket from the THP for 87MPH in a 55MPH zone in 1999, while towing a load of hay.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I'm in a similar position you are; I keep looking for a ranger or old tacoma sized light truck. I'd love a V6 manual ranger but ones that don't look like they were driven off a cliff and fewer than 200k miles are still $4000. I specifically want a very small truck, but there are many used F150s, F250s, and other similar trucks for $2500 around here.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I'm in a similar position you are; I keep looking for a ranger or old tacoma sized light truck. I'd love a V6 manual ranger but ones that don't look like they were driven off a cliff and fewer than 200k miles are still $4000. I specifically want a very small truck, but there are many used F150s, F250s, and other similar trucks for $2500 around here.

Outlaw Star.

Right now there is a tan 1996 Ford Ranger with 5-speed & 140K for 2100.oo OBO on the Austin Craigslist.
    LOOKS fine & is said to run fine, too.
    (FWIW< the cheapest Tacoma PU that I know of for sale right now LOOKS "beat to death" & is 6000.oo. = Toyota cars/trucks are always GROSSLY OVER-priced IMO.)

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom