• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I’ve been thinking about getting a red dot sight, and was wondering if anyone has used one of the cheapies they sell on Amazon. I thought maybe I would get one and see if it was something I liked or would use before spending more on a better one. Also not sure if I should get just a red dot sight or a scope with magnification. When I bought the rifle it was mostly gonna be for range and home defense. But I have some buddies who hunt and it’s got me back interested in possibly going out with them this fall. I haven’t been hunting since I was younger and my grandpa would take me out. Although then I was used mostly for flushing out the deer or pheasant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Get something mid-range price wise. Going as cheap as possible is a waste of money and will just leave you frustrated.

Buy from a reputable retailer too especially if you don't know what you are looking at. Lots of knock offs floating around.

Watch the good deals gun thread for good products on sale.

I would recommend Primary Arms (.com) for entry level dots or scopes. They are reasonably priced and offer good products.

PS Why is this in the Introductions section?

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    I bought an NCStar used for $40 and I keep it in the safe for projects with no sights. I had it on my customized 22/45 MKIII but I like the factory sights better.

Are you looking at holographic, prismatic or reflex sights?

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I have had a few cheap red dots they let you down. Stop working suddenly. Will not
    hold zero and drain batteries.

Last edited:

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Cheap red dots all eventually have battery or connection problems. The Sun brand that I purchased lasted for two range trips. I tried to warranty it with the representative at some gun shows. They always gave a phone number that is never answered, and calls were not returned.

You don’t have to pay ACOG prices. Burris Fastfire works so good that I have three of them. They also sell excellent custom mounts including pistols. The Ruger pistol mount is fantastic. Much lower sight than the rail could provide.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Screenshot_20190914-111839_Amazon Shopping.jpg I've found the cheap Pintys on Amazon hold up pretty good. Seen a few YouTube vids that sold me on them. I also have a Bushnell T25 that has done as good as the cheap Pineys @ double the cost

I've got this one on a 9mm ar pistol build & have had no issues with over 1000 rnds. Gotta remember... no matter the brand, most are coming from China just under a different name.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190914-111839_Amazon Shopping.jpg
      Screenshot_20190914-111839_Amazon Shopping.jpg
      165.3 KB · Views: 156
    Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I put some cheap 20'ish something dollar red+green 4-reticle reflex intended for airsoft on my 22/45. So far so good on reliability, but it's definitely not anywhere close to being a good optic. Biggest problem is the reticle selector. The detents are not very crisp, almost gummy. You have to manually make sure the ball falls into the middle of the cup otherwise you'll be off zero.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    If you want to try one out, go to a range and rent a gun with the optic on it already.

Red dot optics are good for a lot of things, but if your thinking a 6-moa dot on a deer at 200 yds, I’d reconsider.

But a dot for a turkey or close in deer makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: gll

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    This is what I'm planning on buying next for an optic, but wouldn't be what I call cheap:
    opplanet-trijicon-acog-4x32-illum-rs-red-chevron-bac-ret-flattop-ta51-main.jpg

Attachments

• opplanet-trijicon-acog-4x32-illum-rs-red-chevron-bac-ret-flattop-ta51-main.jpg
      opplanet-trijicon-acog-4x32-illum-rs-red-chevron-bac-ret-flattop-ta51-main.jpg
      23.1 KB · Views: 131

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Sig Romeo 5 is a decent 2 moa red dot for $112.99 from Amazon or $119.99 from PSA. PSA has it bundled with Magpul Gen 2 MBUS for $159.99.

I own 5 of them and no problems other than my astigmatism... Yeah, I know I could own one top line sight for what I have in them.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    IMG_1742.JPG

That's a PA on an AR9. I think that one's 4 years old.

I have at least 4, maybe 5 Primary Arms rds that are all minimum of 4 years old and going strong. I mostly run them on AR9s and 22s.

I had to send 1 back at one point, about 5 months into owning it. I'd left it in my truck in 100+ temps for about 2 weeks and the shooter-side glass came unglued and loose. PA replaced the sight and no problems since. A second one started flickering and after about a month on an AR15 died. Sent it back, and about a week later got a new one in the mail. No fuss, no problem.

With that said, PA only warranties their red dots for 3 years, so after those 2 experiences, I've relegated the PA red dots to low recoil hosts, and I've been buying Vortex for the last 3 years because of the lifetime warranty. Their crossfire is only a bit more expensive than a PA, and the 2 I've had for 3 years have been problem free.

I personally recommend the Vortex Crossfire, and that's what I've been buying as gifts for the last few years, but that ar in my pic is one of my go-to PCC and plinking rifles, so this might be a 'do as I say, not as I do' situations :)

Attachments

• IMG_1742.JPG
      IMG_1742.JPG
      1.1 MB · Views: 226

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You should see if any TGT members in the Houston area have a decent optic on a gun and want to meet at a range to let you try it out.

I am a big fan of AimPoint products. I have never bought the cheapies because of all of the cheapies I have seen on shelves of people I know that say they don’t hold up to serious shooting.

Buy once/cry once.;)

A $20 optic on a $1000 Gun will often make it a $20 gun.

Top Bottom