• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    I just found out my son is giving me a SDS Imports MFPA 12 gauge shotgun for Christmas. I never heard of this shotgun so did a little research on the web. Found it's a inexpensive (cheap?) mag fed, pump action, 12 gauge, 18" barrel, Turkish made shotgun. On the web it's selling for less than $200. A couple of Youtube video reviews are good.

It's a Christmas gift and I'm not supposed to know about it. I just sold my Mossberg 590 and was looking for a Mossy 88 in 20 gauge, but none are in stock. I'm guessing my wife told my son I was looking for a shotgun and he thought be a good Christmas gift. I'd never turn down a free shotgun, but I'd rather had the Mossy 20 gauge. But I digress.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this SDS MFPA shotgun? Is this any good? Is it a copy of Winchester, Mossberg, Remington, etc...
    DK Firearms

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I don’t have first hand knowledge about the gun, I looked it up online.
    It is not a design I’m familiar with.
    An obvious detraction that I read about is that the bolt does not stay open. It is spring loaded to close after pumping the action.

I’m with you, Mossberg shotguns are a known standard for pump shotguns.
    My local gun shop has a new 88 on the wall. I didn’t know they were scarce.
    $250-$300 is a pretty generous gift in any event.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Academy Wichita Falls has in stock Mossberg Maverick 88 All Purpose Mossy Oak Brush Camo Pump Action 20-Gauge Shotgun. $229

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Not to be a downer, but my kids know not to buy me something without checking to make sure I want it, lol.

Obviously, nothing will be a surprise, but at least their money is not being spent on something I wouldn't buy myself, and leave me wanting something else.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    If that’s the same gun as the Panzer MFPA, it’s made by Sampiyon (Turkish manufacturer). Seems to have good reviews.

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    Without knowing anything about this particular gun, I'd take any gun for Christmas. I'm giving my dad my new Taurus G2c burnt bronze slide this year for Christmas.

I'm not too picky when it comes to guns though, unless I'm buying it for myself. Always room for new steel.
    You're right of course. I will graciously accept this shotgun in the spirit it was given. I will not spoil Christmas by complaining about a gift. I'll take it out to the farm and give it a try. However, I just sold my Mossberg 590 because at my advanced years the 12 gauge was getting uncomfortable to shoot. So I'll probably still get the 20 gauge I originally wanted. And who knows, I may love the new shotgun.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Right now the only Turkish shotguns you want are a weatherby or black aces tactical.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    You're right of course. I will graciously accept this shotgun in the spirit it was given. I will not spoil Christmas by complaining about a gift. I'll take it out to the farm and give it a try. However, I just sold my Mossberg 590 because at my advanced years the 12 gauge was getting uncomfortable to shoot. So I'll probably still get the 20 gauge I originally wanted. And who knows, I may love the new shotgun.
    I've been looking for a good deal on a pump 410. I haven't found one yet but the Henry lever 410 is growing on me. Maybe even a Rossi R92... Maybe you'd find a shotgun chambered for 3" 410 just as useful as a 20 guage?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Not to be a downer, but my kids know not to buy me something without checking to make sure I want it, lol.
    It never seems to work out right when they don't. I once got a .243 Winchester built on a magnum Mauser action, complete with an unfinished stock. Obviously, it was somebody's project gun that they got tired of and sold off for ~$100. It always shot fine, with groups under 1.5 MOA but I haven't shot it in at least 35 years.

It's good to know someone wants what you're going to give them. I really can't emphasize that enough.

This, however,...
    I will graciously accept this shotgun in the spirit it was given. I will not spoil Christmas by complaining about a gift.
    ...is absolutely the right way to handle the situation.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border

You say this but you essentially already complained or came darned close to complaining!

I just found out my son is giving me a SDS Imports MFPA 12 gauge shotgun for Christmas. I never heard of this shotgun so did a little research on the web. Found it's a inexpensive (cheap?) mag fed, pump action, 12 gauge, 18" barrel, Turkish made shotgun. On the web it's selling for less than $200. A couple of Youtube video reviews are good.

It's a Christmas gift and I'm not supposed to know about it. I just sold my Mossberg 590 and was looking for a Mossy 88 in 20 gauge, but none are in stock. I'm guessing my wife told my son I was looking for a shotgun and he thought be a good Christmas gift. I'd never turn down a free shotgun, but I'd rather had the Mossy 20 gauge. But I digress.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this SDS MFPA shotgun? Is this any good? Is it a copy of Winchester, Mossberg, Remington, etc...
    I hope your son does not see your post. Use of words like cheap, asking if it is any good, coming here to question your son's choice of gift for you, saying you'd never turn down a free shotgun but you'd rather have a Mossy - what were you thinking? Then getting replies like:

Right now the only Turkish shotguns you want are a weatherby or black aces tactical.

How do you think this would make your son feel should he somehow see this thread? Gotta be careful about things like this, I know, I have screwed up before myself by making it seem to my family that a gift was questionably not good enough.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    You say this but you essentially already complained or came darned close to complaining!

I hope your son does not see your post. Use of words like cheap, asking if it is any good, coming here to question your son's choice of gift for you, saying you'd never turn down a free shotgun but you'd rather have a Mossy - what were you thinking? Then getting replies like:

How do you think this would make your son feel should he somehow see this thread? Gotta be careful about things like this, I know, I have screwed up before myself by making it seem to my family that a gift was questionably not good enough.
    I don’t take what you said negatively. Understand what you’re saying.

Turkish guns are hit and miss. Right now the only ones I trust for qc are the two I mentioned. You can still gift a turd.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    You know, nothing says "Happy birthday Jesus" like finding a shotgun under the tree early Christmas morning...

Oh yeah, a *real* loving person would also give a case of ammo to feed it too.

Top Bottom