• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The_Vigilante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Far West Texas
    Just received an email from CTD advertising a 'real bargain' on 9mm ammo: American Eagle 124 Grain, FMJ, 50 Rounds per box....Price-only $24.79 a box down from $29.79. I used to buy this ammo from Sportsman's Warehouse for around $12 a box. Cheaper than Dirt obviously is no longer cheaper than dirt!!! I can still buy 9mm ammo at reasonable prices at Academy and Walmart when they have it. One has to be desperate to buy from CTD.
    DK Firearms

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Just received an email from CTD advertising a 'real bargain' on 9mm ammo: American Eagle 124 Grain, FMJ, 50 Rounds per box....Price-only $24.79 a box down from $29.79. I used to buy this ammo from Sportsman's Warehouse for around $12 a box. Cheaper than Dirt obviously is no longer cheaper than dirt!!! I can still buy 9mm ammo at reasonable prices at Academy and Walmart when they have it. One has to be desperate to buy from CTD.

CTD appears to have taken advantage of the ammo situation and priced theirs rather steep. There are other places like Natchez, J&G Sales, and a host of others that offer ammo at a more reasonable price. I am afraid that folks will remember who priced out of sight once this panic is over and they will have cause to shop where they were accomodated best.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Yep. I was once a faithful CTD customer, but no more. I sent them a long email about how chicken s**t it was for them to rape their loyal customers when things get tough. No response (not that I really expected one).

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Cheaper than Dirt obviously is no longer cheaper than dirt!!!

They've never been cheap.

They've been the greatest snake oil salesmen - ever.

They are propagandizing you every time you think of their name, see one of their catalogs, etc.

I hope whoever came up with the name for their company got well compensated.

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    Come on guys! If you owned a store, or do own a store of some kind, I would hope that you try and make as much as possible. You guys don't seem to realize what it takes to be in business right now. Not just ammo is sky high. Go buy a gallon of milk!!! Everything is so high on the small business owner right now. I don't care what you sell, could be ammo or rubber ducks for that matter. If its selling at 50.00 a box/duck, you better get it while you can.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Come on guys! If you owned a store, or do own a store of some kind, I would hope that you try and make as much as possible. You guys don't seem to realize what it takes to be in business right now. Not just ammo is sky high. Go buy a gallon of milk!!! Everything is so high on the small business owner right now. I don't care what you sell, could be ammo or rubber ducks for that matter. If its selling at 50.00 a box/duck, you better get it while you can.

At $15 / box you are making a steady profit on a box of that ammo. Even $19 / box is understandable since there is a large demand and slow supply, but even in capitalism there's profit and then there's honest profit. What CTD is asking for some of their products, among other retailers, is exceeding what I feel is honest profit, and in the case of the .380 ammo for $70 / box... gouging.

Free market is a free market, but there has to be some degree of honesty in the marketplace. Both on the account of the seller and the buyer. For years and years the buyer has had it his way and forced alot of companies to sell product at near loss margins regardless of it's true value, so to some degree the buyer is getting what he sowed. It's bad business on both ends in my opinion.

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    You think the internet specials are a hoot, go into the store on 820 and have a look. I was in there about two weeks ago with someone converting a Glock discount certificate in to a G34. Two guys were shopping for 9mm for hitting the range that afternoon for plinking. Cheapest stuff they had on the shelves was some milspec surplus stuff, 17.99 a box. Didn't recognize the name of the packing. Next cheapest stuff was the wolf steel case 9mm at 18.99. The guys saw me looking at ammo as well and asked if I knew much about the various ammo on the shelves. I gave tem the run down on it, then off handly mentioned that the Academy near the range they were going to shoot had steel cased monarch for 8.99 a box, and if they didn't like that also had a ton of UMC value packs at 250 rounds for what three of those boxes of cheap 9mm cost at CTD. Neither guy seemed to know much, the one that seemed to be the "expert" said steel case was bad for their XDs, and that the value pack stuff was junk, so they bit the bullet and bought 5 boxes of S&B 115 FNJ for 21.99 a box/50.

Just goes to show that if you sale it, folks will buy it no matter what the price.

malladus

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    CTD is one place I will NEVER buy from again.

It is one thing to advertise something high ~ even the ultra-ridiculous prices like $40 Pmags or $1000 for a case of alum pistol ammo. I am all for supply and demand and letting the market work. If you don't shop and are stupid enough to pay those prices then it is all on you not CTD.

But to advertise something at a decent price and not honor it the next day when I called to order is another. They did not care one bit and the attitude bothers me just as much as the bait 'n switch.

There are toooo many other decent, hard working dealers out there and they will get my support and NOT CTD > not EVER!

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    At $15 / box you are making a steady profit on a box of that ammo. Even $19 / box is understandable since there is a large demand and slow supply, but even in capitalism there's profit and then there's honest profit. What CTD is asking for some of their products, among other retailers, is exceeding what I feel is honest profit, and in the case of the .380 ammo for $70 / box... gouging.

Free market is a free market, but there has to be some degree of honesty in the marketplace. Both on the account of the seller and the buyer. For years and years the buyer has had it his way and forced alot of companies to sell product at near loss margins regardless of it's true value, so to some degree the buyer is getting what he sowed. It's bad business on both ends in my opinion.

I will agree to that!!! But there's a lot of hands in the small businessman's pants pocket too. Sometimes my UPS bills are higher than my house payment and UPS goes up every week it seems. I'm not in no way agreeing with C T D practices, but the guns and ammo business is kinda a gamble right now. Our current government situation has people scared. The small business owner may be SOL very soon. In the case of C T D, He may be taxed so much that he's forced to go out of business or some other BS law passed that does him in. I say if he can get an extra buck out of it, then get it while the getting good. Some may not like it but I bet others will. If everyone "just said no" the prices would come down. The problem is that people are buying it up at any price. Ammo is going to continue to go up until it hits a point that its not selling. Then and only then will the price adjust until it starts to sell again. So I have to totally agree on the buyers getting what they sowed!!!

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    there's trying to make money, and then there is just outright gouging...

when i can go to academy and buy a box of lawman/magtech ammo or equivalent for under 20 bucks a box, why should i pay 40 bucks/box 10 mins away at CTD....?

i just bought milk the other day, it was 2.50 a gallon usually 3-3.50 bucks a gallon and we go through 4-5 gallons a week... i say if it were over 5 bucks a gallon I'd start complaining like i am about CTD

there are local non-chain stores selling the same mentioned ammo for 20-25 a box and that is high to me, then again some stores are in it for the sport, not the dollar signs... C T D has always been the latter
    I completely understand where your coming from. BUT... If you were a sporting store owner and trying to make it, would you really sell things cheaper than what you could get for it. Now remember, If the Obama Admin. does what is expected to do, then you may be out of business. Would you not try to make as much as you can. To either, A survive in business for 4 years or, B try another line of work. Its getting to be a, kill or be killed, screw or be screwed kinda place. The whole Academy having it cheaper, I think, has a lot to do with buying power. I doubt that C T D has the buying power that Academy does. That brings back the milk. I personally like to shop at Brookshires but the prices are higher than Walmart. Higher prices have a lot to do with buying power and NO ONE competes with Wallys buying power. I'd be very interested in what C T D pays for a box. It may surprise you... BTW ... Ive never been in there before. I am all about keeping the small town local guys in business.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    At this point its hard to decide which is the bigger rub, the price or the availability.

When you don't need any but would want to buy some, its the price.

When you need to buy it, it's the availability.

Unfortunately, I needed to purchase some because I couldn't find any, anywhere. And Gunbroker prices were even worse if you can believe that. And the trouble is if the price was better, the amount of bulk I had to buy wasn't. I didn't want 500 or 1000rds. I can't store that kind of supply. I can't spend $400. I can't spend $300. I could spend the $119 that I paid for 4 boxes from CTD.

This is getting like the gas problem we just went through. Its not about filling the tank, its about how far the $20 will get.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Don't get me wrong ~ I hate CDT but not because they ask high (my perspective) prices.

I hate them because they do not honor their word (advertised price) and their terrible customer attitude.

There is a difference. I see in many posts (not just here) that they are 'ripping people off' by their prices. I disagree. YOU, me, all of us have a choice. If we buy then WE are ripping ourselves off.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Yep. I was once a faithful CTD customer, but no more. I sent them a long email about how chicken s**t it was for them to rape their loyal customers when things get tough. No response (not that I really expected one).

How is it raping a customer if the customer voluntarily buys from them?

We're back to the whole free market discussion thing, and it's a 2 way street.

Omar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Houston, TX
    They're just taking advantage of the current market.

It's the consumers choice/decision to do their own research and find the best price.

This is a perfect example of why I hate when I here people say how loyal a company is to a customer. Guess what they're not. It's all about profit and they will try to get the maximum amount.

But I do agree it is wrong for a regular schmo to walk in a gun store and the employee see that's and takes advantage raping him with prices.

Top Bottom