• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Nice bike man. I love riding in the Hill Country and we often pass through Llano on our rides to and from Fredricksburg and around there.

Here is a good class, they meet in Hutto I think. Total Rider Motorcycle Safety Courses

Look at a sportbike...there's a really good reason there are two big brake rotors on the front and one little one on the rear. The same principle applies to all motorcycles.

Actually it is a bit more than that, the reason for that breaking system on sportbikes is for racing, which is what sportbikes are really made for.. :). When you are racing AMA superbike you aren't aggressive enough coming into a turn if your back wheel doesn't lift a little off the ground.. :)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Good in M Sage but it appears the locations are in the Dallas area, I'm 60 miles NW of Austin

Hmm, I must not have linked the site I thought I was. I figured that was the Texas MSF site, but it appears to be Dallas area. Doh. This should be better: Motorcycle Safety Foundation

And nice bike!

How many of them learned that using the front brake won't make the motorcycle flip over forward? Seriously, I think that is the #1 misconception among new and/or untrained street riders. More than 70% of your stopping power comes from the front brake. Use it.

;)

That and low-speed turns. They were all "woah... you mean I can make tight turns at walking speed!?"

I like riding slow more than I like riding fast, just because it's harder. Well... except when I'm on my wife's sport bike. I just don't like riding her Ninja. It's not comfortable in any way, shape or form. I can't see why people ride them.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Hmm, I must not have linked the site I thought I was. I figured that was the Texas MSF site, but it appears to be Dallas area. Doh. This should be better: Motorcycle Safety Foundation

And nice bike!

That and low-speed turns. They were all "woah... you mean I can make tight turns at walking speed!?"

I like riding slow more than I like riding fast, just because it's harder. Well... except when I'm on my wife's sport bike. I just don't like riding her Ninja. It's not comfortable in any way, shape or form. I can't see why people ride them.

I hate low speed but it is where the skills are. Tops in my MSF class

And I think the new Ninja 650R is my next bike. It fits like a glove. Why you no likey the Ninja? Which Ninja?

I am still being tugged at by the Ducati though. That low growl of the Desmo is just arousing :p

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Actually it is a bit more than that, the reason for that breaking system on sportbikes is for racing, which is what sportbikes are really made for.. :). When you are racing AMA superbike you aren't aggressive enough coming into a turn if your back wheel doesn't lift a little off the ground.. :)

Ain't nothing wrong with a little trickle-down technology.

MikeN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Allen (Dallas), TX
    Nice.... I prefer AR rides though

I picked up another bike recently too. The wife would only get on the back of a cruiser, so I picked one up.

listpics.asp

It's a 2003 VTX 1300S. I also have a 2007 CBR600RR and a 2001 DR-Z400E supermoto ;)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Apologies for the impending thread-jack!

And I think the new Ninja 650R is my next bike. It fits like a glove. Why you no likey the Ninja? Which Ninja?

She's got an 02 Ninja ZX6 (no R). I don't like leaning forward, because it means I'm either putting strain on my wrists or lower back and thighs to hold myself up (or laying on the tank, which isn't too comfy either, unless I have my tank bag along) or actually take a hand off the bars and put it on my knee to sit up some more (no thanks), and it makes it a PITA for making good head-checks. The riding position sucks for low-speed control, too, but mostly I hate the seating position because after only riding it for fifteen minutes or so I get off and have the urge to ice the boys, who've borne most of the weight. How do other men ride these things without going all falsetto!? Sport bikes are clearly designed for women, who don't have the anatomical interference issues!

Also not a fan of:
    Radiator fans blowing 200 degree air all over my legs at stop lights on days when it's already 105 in the shade and 115 on the blacktop.
    Having to move my elbows out of the way to see what's behind me.
    100+ HP on a 440 lb bike = way too freaking fast for my taste - and I'm perfectly comfortable in a 500+ HP car... It can be fun sometimes, I guess, but it seriously belongs on a track.
    Expensive-ass tires that only last a year.
    The fact that the pegs are placed so that unless you're under 5'3", your legs will be bent at an angle that will prove uncomfortable if you keep position for any length of time.

The 650R looks more my speed. Sitting upright? Yes please!! I can always bend my arms if I want to get down tight and out of the air...

FWIW, I ride a much older bike. I'm still on my first bike, a 1983 Suzuki GR650 "Tempter" (dumb name; sold like crap because of it). I paid a thousand dollars for it, and it came with a helmet (that fit!), gloves (that fit!) and magnetic tank bag. I've been riding it for a little over two years now. Suzuki GR650X Tempter brochure scans It's a very good bike, but I really would like to put some work into making it look a bit more like it did when it was new. Her age is showing, but she still runs great and gets me where I'm going.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Apologies for the impending thread-jack!

She's got an 02 Ninja ZX6 (no R). I don't like leaning forward, because it means I'm either putting strain on my wrists or lower back and thighs to hold myself up (or laying on the tank, which isn't too comfy either, unless I have my tank bag along) or actually take a hand off the bars and put it on my knee to sit up some more (no thanks), and it makes it a PITA for making good head-checks. The riding position sucks for low-speed control, too, but mostly I hate the seating position because after only riding it for fifteen minutes or so I get off and have the urge to ice the boys, who've borne most of the weight. How do other men ride these things without going all falsetto!? Sport bikes are clearly designed for women, who don't have the anatomical interference issues!

Also not a fan of:
    Radiator fans blowing 200 degree air all over my legs at stop lights on days when it's already 105 in the shade and 115 on the blacktop.
    Having to move my elbows out of the way to see what's behind me.
    100+ HP on a 440 lb bike = way too freaking fast for my taste - and I'm perfectly comfortable in a 500+ HP car... It can be fun sometimes, I guess, but it seriously belongs on a track.
    Expensive-ass tires that only last a year.
    The fact that the pegs are placed so that unless you're under 5'3", your legs will be bent at an angle that will prove uncomfortable if you keep position for any length of time.

The 650R looks more my speed. Sitting upright? Yes please!! I can always bend my arms if I want to get down tight and out of the air...

FWIW, I ride a much older bike. I'm still on my first bike, a 1983 Suzuki GR650 "Tempter" (dumb name; sold like crap because of it). I paid a thousand dollars for it, and it came with a helmet (that fit!), gloves (that fit!) and magnetic tank bag. I've been riding it for a little over two years now. Suzuki GR650X Tempter brochure scans It's a very good bike, but I really would like to put some work into making it look a bit more like it did when it was new. Her age is showing, but she still runs great and gets me where I'm going.

Ahh, you speak my language. I'm not a sportbike fan for the same reasons you cite. The 650R is very ergo friendly.

A Tempter eh? That's a pretty classic style bike. I like those. Much like Hondas ol' CBs and CMs. I'd like to have an old school ride one day along with the regular stable of modern bikes. And those Nighthawks are just cool. How are parts availability for your bike? You think a good tear down and fresh rebuild is at your finger tips. Or is finding parts like pulling teeth?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ahh, you speak my language. I'm not a sportbike fan for the same reasons you cite. The 650R is very ergo friendly.

A Tempter eh? That's a pretty classic style bike. I like those. Much like Hondas ol' CBs and CMs. I'd like to have an old school ride one day along with the regular stable of modern bikes. And those Nighthawks are just cool. How are parts availability for your bike? You think a good tear down and fresh rebuild is at your finger tips. Or is finding parts like pulling teeth?

Parts availability isn't too bad. Everything might not be right at my fingertips, but I think the engine can live the way it is for a long time. It's almost entirely little cosmetic stuff that I need.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Parts availability isn't too bad. Everything might not be right at my fingertips, but I think the engine can live the way it is for a long time. It's almost entirely little cosmetic stuff that I need.

There was a bike parts shop that I bought parts from when I was in JP. I Love Motor Co. was the name of it. Not sure if what you need warrants shipping from JP but if you do they have an English speaking/typing customer service rep that was pretty easy to communicate with. They do a list of parts they have in stock and you just pick through them, get what you need.

Anyway, if you get hard up for something not found here in the States, it can be bought there with some coordinating

Top Bottom