• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SO758

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Central TX
    2007 Suzuki Boulevard 800 M50. Im a new rider but getting it down very quickly (used to ride dirt bikes when I was a kid so basically Im re-learning). Im in Llano so if anyone wants to do a hill country cruise look me up, Im game provided Im off.
    bike004.jpg

bike003.jpg

Bike001.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Nice bike. Okay, not to go off topic....but that truck behind you says police & LCRA. I thought the LCRA was a power company, do you know the story of that? Is LCRA more than power generation? Sorry about the off-topic.

SO758

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Central TX
    Water and power, we patrol the lakes and river chain of the Colorado as well as LCRA power facilities and parks. Under LCRA we are an agency of the state. We also give a hand when local PD & SO are in need. In addition we have 2 swift water rescue teams.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Nice bike! I enjoy sneaking out when I can on the Ultra....especially if I get a chance ta smoke some of the squids in the curves.....it freaks 'em out when a "Geezer Glide" blows by 'em in the twisties....<evil grin>

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Riding on the street is a bit different. I recommend a Rider Course from the MSF for everybody who's getting on a bike for the street. I went through a class with a bunch of guys who'd been riding on the street for decades and were now deciding to "go legit" for insurance purposes. I think they came away from the class with more than I did!

Texas R.I.D.E.R. - Motorcycle Safety Training

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Happy Bike Day!

We went and drooled at the Kawasaki shop on Saturday. We're getting closer to getting our bikes again, but still a little bit to go.

+1 On a rider's course. (and you get an insurance discount!)

Check out the MSF site for classes nearby. Also check local bike shops, Harley does theirs regularly too. Everyone has their preference on where they'd like to go. We do MSF as it was was free and available on base, plus no long waiting lists My sister took hers out in Temple or somewhere just north of Round Rock. She got in touch with an instructor who does classes from the Ducati shop.

Have fun! Great color selection.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I think they came away from the class with more than I did!

How many of them learned that using the front brake won't make the motorcycle flip over forward? Seriously, I think that is the #1 misconception among new and/or untrained street riders. More than 70% of your stopping power comes from the front brake. Use it.

;)

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    How many of them learned that using the front brake won't make the motorcycle flip over forward? Seriously, I think that is the #1 misconception among new and/or untrained street riders. More than 70% of your stopping power comes from the front brake. Use it.

;)

No kidding. Takes some work to get to trust and that front brake properly. Relying on the rear for stopping power is asking for trouble.

Sitting on a cruiser it would take a spectacular chain of events to pull and endo

SO758

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Central TX
    I like using the front brake to help in stopping. Learned that from a few Harley rider friends of mine. It was put to me: that expensive front break isn't there just to hold the bike stopped at red lights!

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I like using the front brake to help in stopping. Learned that from a few Harley rider friends of mine. It was put to me: that expensive front break isn't there just to hold the bike stopped at red lights!

Look at a sportbike...there's a really good reason there are two big brake rotors on the front and one little one on the rear. The same principle applies to all motorcycles.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Look at a sportbike...there's a really good reason there are two big brake rotors on the front and one little one on the rear. The same principle applies to all motorcycles.

Same for cars too. Front brakes are what do most of the work.

I'm surprised to hear anyone being new to using a front brake. Dirt is different but it still gets used some. But then again, I had both dirt and street bikes back in the day....a long long time ago. I'd love to ride again, but have to admit, when I first moved to Dallas was when I commuted on a bike more than any other time and I learned to hate riding on the street.

I'd love to have a weekend bike though.

American Motorcycle Trading Company - Arlington, Texas - Inventory Details - 1958 Harley-Davidson FLH $15,995.00

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    ...oh, and, that is a cool bike. its one of the few that don't look sport but don't look knock off. Congrats!

BTW, can you get me some "LCRA leave me and my boat alone as long as I'm not being an idiot" cards for me and a few close friends? We don't make it down that often and frankly none of our close friends get popped (none of us are the idiots that we too would like to see off the water), but LCRA is known to be pretty brutal on some boaters, especially any kind of GFBL's (go fast be loud).

SO758

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Central TX
    ...oh, and, that is a cool bike. its one of the few that don't look sport but don't look knock off. Congrats!

BTW, can you get me some "LCRA leave me and my boat alone as long as I'm not being an idiot" cards for me and a few close friends? We don't make it down that often and frankly none of our close friends get popped (none of us are the idiots that we too would like to see off the water), but LCRA is known to be pretty brutal on some boaters, especially any kind of GFBL's (go fast be loud).
    Wish there was such a thing as the cards you described but unfortunately there isn't! Lol
    lots of issues on that lake! I know the guys on Travis they are a great bunch of guys, don't know much on how they conduct they're business over there. I roam lakes Buchanan, Inks, Lbj and upper part of lake Travis when it has water!

Top Bottom