• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VR4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    I'll be flying from Washington State to both Houston and then Corpus Christi. My question is can I walk in to the check in part of the airport or do I have to call them when I arrive and let them know I want to check in my gun as I'm waiting out side? In WA I can walk up to the check in area. I would like the facts before I go down there. If this helps I have a WA CHL.

Thanks for any info

VR4

ETA= Yes my weapon will be safely stored in a lock box.
    Capitol Armory ad

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Hey VR4, welcome to TGT.

As I said on OCDO, follow directions for packing/checking specific to your flight carrier. It's the same in TX as it is in WA. I've flown in and out of both many times without problems.

CALI

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
    Easiest is calling the airline.

First, make sure that your firearm is unloaded, and locked in a hard case. The ammunition is treated the same (locked in a separate container). The allowable firearm weight should not exceed 11 lbs. That's what United airlines told me. My ammunition wasn't in a seaparte container and luckily I have an extra padlock to lock the luggage as a second safety container.

I recently travelled and I was really surprise how easy it was. First you walked to the check in area. Declare that you have a firearm in your luggage and be ready to take it out if needed. Second you sign the declaration card and wait for a TSA agent to check your firearm. After you're cleared they will take the luggage and you my friend will just pick it up at the carousel at your destination.

Good luck, have a safe trip and advance "Welcome To Texas"

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The ammunition is treated the same (locked in a separate container).

No, actually... the ammo doesn't have to be in a separate, locked container. It does have to be in a box of some kind, though. You can leave the ammo in an ammo box, put it in the case with the gun and lock it all up.

You keep the key.

TSA may make you open the case so they can inspect the contents. Realize that the ticket agent will probably not know how to clear your firearm, nor will TSA. If the ticket agent asks to, ask for a supervisor - it ain't their job to check. If TSA asks to, let them try, just to avoid trouble... When I flew with an AK, TSA opened my case and inspected it, I made the mistake of stepping into the room with him to watch what he was doing... they don't like that, even though I hate letting someone handle my firearms (or any other personal property for that matter) where I can't watch.

You may or may not have to pick the firearm up at the baggage office. I've had it both ways; gun case on the conveyor belt, and gun case waiting in an office (which freaked me out; they didn't page me until after I'd watched the "last bag" marker come around the belt for a loooong time!)

Top Bottom