• SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    How about I sue the fucking pawnshop owner and take his deposition and subpoena all his records?

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    I guess them lawyers have to get paid somehow...

"Sorry Mr. Smith about YOUR property getting STOLEN by some scumbag THIEF but now YOU have to go through even MORE trouble to get it back from the people that bought the STOLEN property"

Couldn't of said it any better

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    Sorry . . . . they are no more innocent than Ted Bundy!
    So you are saying it is ok to be a vigilante and exact revenge on someone who sold your firearm to a pawn shop? Let's face it if the pawn shop released sales information to people other than a police investigator or lawyer that is what would happen.

I agree that the person who sold a stolen firearm to the pawn shop is as guilty as the one who stole it.

texdot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    Palestine
    Pawn shops in my opinion are not going to go out of their way to check for stolen property,afterall,the would most likely lose money.
    I had 16 stolen in Houston in 1981 and I got one back from a pawn shop.
    I have carried that list of serial numbers with me ever since to gun shows and never found another one. And with the computer age taking
    hold all my records were never put into the system. But the list remains in my wallet still today.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    So you are saying it is ok to be a vigilante and exact revenge on someone who sold your firearm to a pawn shop? Let's face it if the pawn shop released sales information to people other than a police investigator or lawyer that is what would happen.

I agree that the person who sold a stolen firearm to the pawn shop is as guilty as the one who stole it.

Frankly, I don't gice a rats ass. Most of the pople who buy a stolen firearm and then pawn it know DAMN WELL what they are doing!

Therefore, they are not innocent.

If I found a stolen firearm that belonged to me in a pawn shop I would have the suit filed the next day and discovery started. **** them.

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    While I understand the frustration demonstrated by some here, I would lke to point out a few things regarding some of the issues raised.

1. The vast majority of the guns that I have recovered have not been pawned by the suspect. Now I've doing this since 1993 - 94 and have recovered close to 150 -200 guns over that time span. Case in point, recovered a rifle last week reported stolen in 2002. Recovered a handgun today stolen in Jan. 2010. Rarely is it the suspect. Which leads me to my second point that was raised earlier.

2. Most people do not know they have a stolen gun. Guns travel fast and far and will continue to do so as long as we have private, face to face sales. Now in NO way am I advocating doing away with the face to face sales, I just want to illustrate one of the disadvantages of doing so. As I have reported before, I once bought a stolen gun from my brother in law, who got it from a guy who got it from a guy ... and so on.

3. For those that wish to rip the pawnshops a new one, are you willing to do the same for your local gun shop, Gander Mountain, or any store that buys used guns or takes them in on trade?

4. Finally, there is a thing called due process, it is slow, tedious, painful, frustrating, but it works. It needs to be followed.

Again, I understand the frustration many on this thread have expressed, I feel it more that they as I deal with it a lot more and wish it were better. But as long as we value our privacy, it should be recalled that the pawn shops, gun stores, and everyone else enjoys their privacy as well.

My opinion, please feel free to disagree.

texdot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    Palestine
    ^^^^^That is determination.
    Yes I suppose it is. I also have one put away with my important papers and another in my personal phone book.
    Complete with the incident number given to me by the cop.You can never tell. And I don't think there ae many 1902 Colt Bisleys .45
    circulating around.

GlockontheRocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    McAllen, TX
    Frankly, I don't gice a rats ass. Most of the pople who buy a stolen firearm and then pawn it know DAMN WELL what they are doing!

Therefore, they are not innocent.

If I found a stolen firearm that belonged to me in a pawn shop I would have the suit filed the next day and discovery started. **** them.

Scenarios are endless. I buy a gun from my cousin. He bought it from a friend. His friend bought from a friend, etc. The firearm may have changed hands 10 different times. I don't know the gun is stolen, I hit hard times and pawn it for a small loan. Am I guilty?
    Don't demonize the pawn shops. They report every item brought it to the local PD. Chances are your items will not be taken into pawn. A knowledgeable theif knows that the PD gets copies of all pawns.

texdot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    Palestine
    I make it a habit of never pawning a weapon that I bought from someone I didn't personally know,not that I make it a habit of pawning
    anything to start with. Biut if I buy a gun from a guy from work who bought it from another guy I would certainly have my susoicions,

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I live on the East side of Houston and used to deal with pawn shops every week. The local LEO's were in those shops constantly running serial numbers on pawned firearms and serial numbered items. Maybe the local police policy varies based on where you live.

Regarding where stolen property ends up: When I was teaching, a really tough kid showed up with a crappy motorcycle with funky tags and a car battery tied to the seat. One day while the bike was in my shop, I asked the campus cop to run the VIN number. It came up stolen out of North Carolina four years earlier! They contacted the owner and he declined to pay for shipment so the local cops confiscated it.

Flash

Klacktor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I had a guitar stolen from me, and saw it at a pawn shop! I even went to the guy's place of employment to watch them arrest him. Also, I assured him he was lucky for getting this way out.

To answer your question clockwork,
    Contact police first, they'll tell the shop to pull the product, then you can verify serial numbers (better have proof of ownership, or a prior police report if not you may be SOL)

The police will find out who sold it ( most shops require ID)

They arrest him.

Game over.

Top Bottom